Car running costs?

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hi Chris

Congrats on the new motor and hope it all runs well for you, one little tip on the cambelt and this is from a mechanic friend of mine who looked at your post on my pc whilst we were having a beer tonight, he said the way you tell if the cambelt needs replacing is if you can't see any of the imprinted writing on the outside of the rubber belt itself. (thats only if you don't know when it was last changed though ok, because if you did you would change it every ****** miles or so.

But obviously best to get it changed now better safe than sorry.;)

Even i didn't know that (you learn something new everyday eh) so anyway hope thats helps dude.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the cool comments guys :D

I was planning on having the cambelt done at the same time as the MOT actually, i doubt it has ever been done before, although the car is 9 years 4 months old, it's only got 71,300 miles on the clock, and the manual says change it every 72,000!

The horn doesn't work at the moment, dad is going to take a look at that today, hopefully just something simple or something cheap to fix...because that will fail it on the MOT.

Insurance. found a good quote - Churchill offer me a Fully Comprehensive policy, with £0 volantary excess and all legal expenses, with parents as named drivers, for £1802.77 a year. Considering some sites want more than that for 3rd party with £500 excess, i think thats good! something maybe worth going for. Will see if the local company will match that though.

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
How far through with the driving lessons are you? The 306 looks like a nice car!
Ive had 13 or so lessons so far, with another three coming up this week.

The 306 is a beautiful car to drive! My dad was WELL impressed with the ride quality and handling, it's known as the best handling hatchback on the road...and it seems like it really is! sticks the road really well, and theres hardly any body roll.

Reaction score
Dad and i spent some time under the bonnet today, before i had to go to work, then he did some stuff. She came out beautiful!

We:

Drained the oil, replaced with "Castrol Magnatec semi-synthetic"
Replaced the air filter with a new one
Replaced the oil filter with a new champion one
Replaced the spark plugs with some funky new 90 degrees ones...
Topped up transmission fluid
Topped up brake fluid
Topped up power steering fluid
... and all the anti-freeze and washer fluid stuff...
Put some more air in the tyres - the guy was driving around at 15psi when it needs 30!

Then while i was at work, dad recalibrated the valve cap things, re-sprayed the reflective surface inside the headlight unit, and washed it!

When i got home i spent some time inside with some cockpit shine...it needed it!

She runs sweet as a nut. Always starts first time, even this morning when there was THICK ice all over the windows!

attachment.php

Attachments

• MY CAR!.JPG
    MY CAR!.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 233

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
You been a busy bee then chris...not a bad looking motor what i can see of it....so come on then what are you going to name him/ her, we're all dying to know....he he. :p

Reaction score
yes she looks very nice! nice red colour too!

how about naming her after a really really good looking girl that you know?:)

Reaction score
Okay list the names of the BEST BEST looking girls that you know!
thats a start!

But remember ONLY THE BEST!

Reaction score
HAHA! Sorry guys, totally missed this...!

I thought any nice name beginning with "N" would be good... A friend suggested "Nigella"

Still open to suggestions though, a regular name would be cool.

My driving instructors car is called "Me Julie" !!

Went out driving today with Dad... i love my car!!! She drives so nice :) Got a lesson with in my car with my driving instructor at 5:05 today too!! Will be driving in the dark :eek:

Reaction score
why N?
Naomi? as in Naomi Campell, i have met her shes v v tall, v long legs, and very agressive and rude! i think i would prefer to see her in The Sun rather than meet her!

N?

Right how about Natalya? that burd who KEPT getting in the way in GOLDENEYE on the N64!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Nigella? Sounds like some iffy disease to me :D

'N' eh?

Hmm.

Naughty Nora

Nutty Slack

Norma Stitz

Nelly The Elephant

Nadine
Natalia
Naomi
Nancy
Nulah

Dat's it. Can't think of any more.

Reaction score
N because shes an August 1995 Girl on an N plate!

Naomi is nice, as is Natalya... Hmm.

Got back from my driving lesson...great fun! Need some more practice on roundabouts though...

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Hooray! I don't think I could have come up with two more different suggestions if I tried ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Nala. Yep, that's good :)

Did nobody pick up Norma Stitz then?

Move one letter and...

Normas Titz.

Oh, never mind....

;)

Ask a Question