Roof Box Recommendations

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm on the hunt for a roof box, as it's likely I'll be doing a lot more UK traveling/holidaying/camping (2 adults and 2 kids). I drove down to Hampshire last year with all 4 of us in the car and the boot was full to the brim and we had to leave a lot of useful stuff behind (footballs, kids scooters, etc.).

An easy solution would be to buy a decent size roof box (I'm guessing 350-500L) and use that on our trips. I've got flush rails on the car at the moment, so fitting bars is fine.

I've not used a roof box before, but imagine it's one of those things where buying cheap = buying twice. Any recommendations or tips?

The two I'm currently looking at are:

or

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score

:D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ha, we've just come back from Cornwall, and have come to the conclusion we need a bigger car and a roof box, so will be keeping an eye on this thread! :lol:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score

:D
I think I trailer might be a bit overkill for me :lol:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Roof boxes are out of stock everywhere at the moment, but I'm going to try and get one in the coming days, so I'll report back soon :).

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I'm not surprised, it took us 6 hours to get back from Newquay last weekend., It's usually a 4 and a bit hours drive. It was a sea of caravans and roofboxes.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I found a roof box available and in stock last night, so jumped on it - went for the "Hapro Traxer 6.6 roof box". It's arriving today, so hopefully I can report back at the weekend :D.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
*That moment when you realise you've grown up and got old when you get excited about a seeing someones thoughts and opinions of a roofbox.*

:lol:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Haha, that's exactly how I described this purchase to my mates. I'm getting old!

I've got it all fitted now, bought it from https://www.roofbox.co.uk/. It took just over an hour to do, I was expecting it to be a simple job but you really do need to read the instructions and not just wing it like I tried at first :lol: . Turns out that each "identical" mount is not actually identical and needs to go in a specific location.

Feels like a good quality box, along with some Airo Fix aluminium bars. Going to have a test drive this weekend when I'm off to the tip, so can see how noisy it is. Will likely just leave the bars on if they're quiet, as they're a pain to reattach.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Good to know you got it on and happy with it. :cheers:

I would also like you to test the coefficient of drag on the weekend and report it back to us :p:p:p

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah wind noise and effects on handling are my main concerns.

Ask a Question