Me bedroom and the new Post Your Desktop and Setup pix

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well, one end of it anyway. Whilst the rest of the room resembles a 'normal' bedroom this end is more like a spare room and to me it's my workbench and computing area.

If there was a lady in my life staying with me I don't think she'd put up with this but as there ain't currently a Ms Flops, it don't matter does it? ;)

And yes, I know the walls could do with re-decorating but I'm hoping to move home shortly, so I can't be bothered.

Anyway, not sure these pix are of any interest to youse all, but here goes.

This is an overall view of my setup:

001.jpg

Test equipment. AVO 8 analogue test meter; Weller soldering station and reel of solder; 40Mhz twin beam oscilloscope; 30 volt DC variable power supply.

Will shortly be adding another power supply to enable a twin rail setup and am currently building a frequency generator to test audio equipment.

002.jpg

Plugboards and the work area where I can work on stuff:

003.jpg

BenQ 19" FP91G Monitor showing desktop of the computer I built to be a home media unit but instead has ended up as a third cruncher with four hard disk caddies so I can swap out different operating systems. This is the desktop for Win XP. Also have Suse 10.2, Win 98 and one spare drive which I'll probably load Ubunto onto. I named this computer 'Perseus'.

004.jpg

And this is the desktop to the second machine listed in my sig 'Andromeda'. They both go through a KVM switch.

005.jpg

The front of Perseus:

006.jpg

Perseus front flap open showing the Vantec hard disk caddy. I have two silver drives and two black drives, they're very quick and easy to swap out and the front panel displays HDD temp and in use information.

007.jpg

The green topped workbench, btw, was used by a guy I worked with at the GLC. He taught me a lot of stuff about the work I currently do a lot of, 100 volt line audio systems. He also took part in a parachute drop on that bridge that was featured in the film 'A Bridge Too Far' Arnheim I think it was.

Unfortunately he got hit by a mortar shell and had a significant chunk of his face blown away, top left. It was rebuilt but it left him with poor eyesight and he wore these really thick glasses.

He was one of the best blokes I've ever worked with so the bench has fond memories. He lived in Tooting and I last saw him about ten years ago, I've no idea if he's still alive or not.

To the right of the bench is a display unit from a Matalan store. I drove past the back of the Charlton store and they'd thrown a load out so I bunged it on the roof bars. It fits just perfect.

I know it's not high chic, this setup, but it is practical.

Audio and video devices. From top to bottom:

Hitachi Direct Drive turntable with Shure 35C cartridge
Sony VHS Recorder
Aiwa Cassette deck
Daewoo DVD player

The audio and video signals are routed through an AV switching box. The audio to the line in on the computer, the video to the video in on a Pinnacle TV card.

The DVD player was £35.00 from Richer sounds and is good. It means I can capture segments of DVD movies and change them to any video format I fancy.

To the left, assorted stuff, explanation to follow.

008.jpg

Top to bottom:

Logitech MX1000 Mouse charger/receiver
RIAA Phono preamp
Netgear modem/router, 4 channel wired
AV switcher, to computer. Channel A switches video, Channel B switches audio.
Interface to seperate sound system. I can plug three line level devices and one turntable with magnetic cartridge in here.

009.jpg

And the signals from that interface box go to here, a Quad 33 preamp which feeds a 15 watt x 2 slave amp and a pair of Eltax bookshelf speakers. The speakers cost £30.00 from Richer Sounds and are adequate. Not great Hi-Fi but the system's use is primarily as a means to test equipment.

Actually, the Logitech 2.1 speaker setup with the computers sounds better. However, the guy in the shop said the speakers will sound better after 30 - 40 hours use. We shall see.

010.jpg

Behind the Quad preamp, loadsa messy cables, the 15W x 2 amp and the KVM switch (it has audio as well).

011.jpg

The front of 'Andromeda' Antec Sonata case:

012.jpg

The Hitachi turntable:

013.jpg

A wall cabinet wiv knick knacks:

014.jpg

Gaming devices:

015.jpg

And there ya go :)

Got me's quite a lot of stuff crammed into a small space there and I probably spend more time than is healthy tinkering with Linux and playing old games in Win 98.

Reaction score
Lovely stuff there!

Must use alot of power all that stuff, no?

I got the same Router as you btw ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
michael 118 said:
Lovely stuff there!

Must use alot of power all that stuff, no?

I got the same Router as you btw ;)

If it's all switched on at once I guess it would use a lot of power, but it's only switched on as needed.

I used to have all machines crunch 24/7 but it does actually add £50.00 to £60.00 to the (quarterly) electric bill and I ain't rich, so.....

I've been pleased with the Netgear router, very good, and easy to set up :)

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
If it's all switched on at once I guess it would use a lot of power, but it's only switched on as needed.

I used to have all machines crunch 24/7 but it does actually add £50.00 to £60.00 to the (quarterly) electric bill and I ain't rich, so.....

I've been pleased with the Netgear router, very good, and easy to set up :)

I guess that bill is fairly reasonable if you were running it all 24/7.

The Netgear routers are very good, the only one i've had repeated trouble with is THIS slightly newer version.

All in all Flops, a brilliant Bedroom :D. The subject of envy you are ;).

My bedroom consists of a bed, lamp a Che Guevara poster and a whole lotta clothes on the floor ;).

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Nice, neat & tidy ... compared to my lot. :D

I was just wondering how long it was since we had a new "desktop" thread ... you wanna add to the title of this one and make it the new desktop thread. I'm sure we will see more pics here anyway. :thumb:

I may just be tempted to throw some pics up in the Gallery of my own Hovel. :p

:thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I love your pics Flops - and speaking as a female of the species, I think your set-up is great - you're so tidy and organized! (I wouldn't dare post the tangled spaghetti of cables, PCs and peripherals which used to be our dining room
laughingsmiley.gif
)

It makes much more sense to use spare areas of space for something useful :cool:

(It's great to be able to finally see your pics too Flops, thank you for doing whatever you did to enable that :D )

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Wicked setup flopp's nice and tidy too, I love those old workbenches with the green vinyl material on them..Used to have one of em in my old garage until the council knocked em down and destroyed the bench in the process...

Lots of goodies in there I can see...;)

I'll post some of mine up when I got the time, maybe tomorrow evening..:thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Mucks' bedroom ... no, really, it is my bedroom

Full frontal in the raw ... the bed is on the right & slightly behind me. ;)

A closer look at my Baby ... see it is Yellow. :p

another angle

The MJW PC & the Old Girl ... she is a bit warm today, so the side is off. :thumb:

... a closer look, the Old Girl is the one on the left.

... and this one is BSA ... I still have to "fix" it ... need a DVD / CD drive

Enjoy! :D

:user:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
More computer heaven - Baby's monitor looks nice Mucks, what sort is it? (Still haven't got our's yet, so being nosey ;) )

muckshifter

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
More computer heaven - Baby's monitor looks nice Mucks, what sort is it? (Still haven't got ours yet, so being nosey ;) )
It is a 19" V7 Videologic

It has a pre-set button for: Text, Picture & Economy Mode ... a brightness & contrast control and an Auto control ... plus, I can further go into the settings and set it up to my eyes ... oh, and a power off/on button. :D

It was 'cheap' when I bought it, under £150, but you can get better monitors now for that price. :thumb:

I do like the crisp clear screen ... the one I wanted, at the time, was a £250 19" Xerox ... now that, had a beautiful screen to look at. :nod:

TFT/LCD have continued to improve, since I bought this one, and I'm sure you can find an even better monitor than the Xerox for around £150.

:D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Oh thanks Mucks, it sounds good - and has some very useful "twiddley bits" from the sound of it :D We've only just started looking around so I'm sure you're right about the goodies that are around "out there."

The PC you call The Old Girl, looks very smart, I'd imagined that she was going to be beige - not that I am being "beige-ist" you understand ;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Oh thanks Mucks, it sounds good - and has some very useful "twiddley bits" from the sound of it :D We've only just started looking around so I'm sure you're right about the goodies that are around "out there."

The PC you call The Old Girl, looks very smart, I'd imagined that she was going to be beige - not that I am being "beige-ist" you understand ;)
LoL ... actually, that is a cheap-n-nasty tin case freebee. :D

The Old Girl is the original MB, CPU & ram from Nettie's PC from her original case. :thumb:

If you don't see all the "twiddley bits" on any monitor you look at, look for another monitor, you want DVI out also. ;)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
thought i'd post a few of my lot, also a good excuse to give the desk a bit of a tidy lol

My crappy 17" LCD made by some obscure make with my dell soundbar propping up the all important PCReview magnet
nod.gif
, behind that is my iPaq

17052007126.jpg

better look at the crap on my desk, got the parts i salvaged from my old PC on my CD rack and one of the sattelite speakers. also got the remote for my hauppauge PVR 150 TV card

17052007127.jpg

my baby, in all her glory with my java book from my A-levels, card reader and netgear DG834GT router on top, you can see the phone socket right behind so seemed the logical place to put it, just need to make a Cat5 cable thats the right length

Spec is, AMD X2 4400 @ 2.5Ghz, 2GB of corsair XMS RAM, BFG 7600GS, 2x 200GB Sata drives and a 120GB IDE, liteon DVD writer and DVD-Rom

17052007128.jpg

printer nearest is a cannon i865 which i use pretty much everyday and the one at the back is a MP150 that is a recent addition which is mainly used for scanning images, also have a crappy fax machine just for good measure, not that it gets used often

17052007129.jpg

this is my dads beast ~ 8 yrs old now, theres a whopping 450Mhz of PII processing power backed up by a huge 128MB of RAM and for gaming greatness 16MB of integrated graphics, iirc it has a 10GB hard drive. its used just for office work and actually boots and loads word faster than mine can

17052007130.jpg

17" CRT monitor and keyboard that goes with it on my dads desk

17052007131.jpg

my old case, which has my old Tagan PSU, DVD writer, fan controller and floppy drive in it. on top is my trusty screwdriver and some dodgy photo printer that came with one of the digital cameras we have, just to the left is the assortment of chargers plus the wires running behind the case to the right power my speakers and monitor

17052007135.jpg

overall view of it all, printers are just off to the right a longside my dads desk. underneath the desk is the subwoofer which seems to have turned my desk into a huge bass box lol

17052007134.jpg

closer look at the sub and associated wires

17052007124.jpg

and thats the lot, the quality of the pics isn't great as they were taken with my phone

Reaction score
... and this one is BSA ... I still have to "fix" it ... need a DVD / CD drive

By fix it you obviously mean the PSU because it's Qtec, and we all know they arrive broken 100% of the time :p

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
LoL ... actually, that is a cheap-n-nasty tin case freebee. :D

The Old Girl is the original MB, CPU & ram from Nettie's PC from her original case. :thumb:

If you don't see all the "twiddley bits" on any monitor you look at, look for another monitor, you want DVI out also. ;)

That's amazing Mucks I'd really never have guessed - if that's tin, I like it :lol:

Twiddley bits on monitor duly noted!! Oh and thank you for mentioning the DVI... it had slipped my mind:eek: I'll make some notes before the next shopping trip :nod: :thumb:

Reaction score
thanks for your pictures guys

Flopps WTF!!!??
lol
sorry mate for the language but you got a heck of a lot of stuff there
no bird will have enough room left for her stuff there....

How many plugs would you need if you wanted to RUN EVERYTHING at once?

That looks a heck of a lot of stuff there worth lots of money!

Reaction score
haha you lot have some crazy setups :D

You must all have one hell of a lot of plug extensions too...

Ask a Question