Interesting videos / channels

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I watch a lot of stuff on YouTube, and I'm always open to new recommendations for interesting videos or channels. I thought it would be good if we could share recommendations here!

I'll get the ball rolling...

There's a guy called Andrew Rea who does a series called Binging with Babish, where he basically recreates food from films / TV series. He recently did the Cubanos that featured in Chef - warning, this will seriously make your mouth water!! :drool:

Another channel I really enjoy is Primitive Technology - the guy behind it is based in Australia and makes videos showcasing, well, primitive technology. He never talks but it's oddly entrancing and relaxing to watch. There's always a lot of detail in the video description if you want to learn more about what he's doing though. Here's a recent example:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
YouTube is my TV ... you got a week, I'll post some I watch. :lol:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I find the "Kennedy Center Honors" videos to be extremely interesting and the best it has to offer when it comes to legendary artists. These videos give you an insight into an artist in a very condensed form and to the point. There are many videos and most of them are about 20 minutes or so, when I have free time I go back to these video which I have not watched before or some which I love to watch again.

Here are a few examples that are a great watch.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I've started watching Bob Ross painting videos recently: https://www.youtube.com/user/BobRossInc

There's something so nice about them. Granted, I'm into painting so it's something that holds my interest any way, but it's more than that. He just has such a soothing voice and happy outlook that it's a joy to watch. It's also fascinating to see a picture come together so effortlessly :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Bob Ross is a legend. I remember watching him on Sky Home and Leisure or whatever they called it years ago. The guy is awesome. :bow:

Also:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I've started watching Bob Ross painting videos recently: https://www.youtube.com/user/BobRossInc

There's something so nice about them. Granted, I'm into painting so it's something that holds my interest any way, but it's more than that. He just has such a soothing voice and happy outlook that it's a joy to watch. It's also fascinating to see a picture come together so effortlessly :)

I watched it and I am very impressed, the guy is a genius. He is a perfect teacher, and has a great sense of humour, I loved the way he described how he goes for fishing :D

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I'm pleased to hear I'm not the only Bob Ross fan here! :D

@V_R I watched that video earlier - fascinating!

Another channel that's really interesting is Smarter Every Day. The guy has been looking at Prince Rupert's Drops recently (spookily strong glass), here are the relevant videos:

Reaction score
I'm quite into aviation and there is a corporate pilot on Youtube that has his own YouTube channel. Steveo1kinevo. Puts up videos of his flights, explains stuff, quite well put together and he has quite a following. I find the videos quite interesting, my wife finds them mind numbingly boring.

https://www.youtube.com/user/steveo1kinevo

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I find the videos quite interesting, my wife finds them mind numbingly boring.

Sounds like Ian when I'm watching Bob Ross videos :lol:

Have you been on a commercial aircraft simulator? We've got one kinda near us (Yorkshire) where you can fly a 737. I booked it for Ian but they let me have a go too and it was great! The attention to detail was superb, even the passenger seats had screens in the windows which relayed what the pilot was doing. Think they've recently got a Vulcan simulator up and running too, which would be fun :thumb:

Reaction score
Sounds like Ian when I'm watching Bob Ross videos :lol:

Have you been on a commercial aircraft simulator? We've got one kinda near us (Yorkshire) where you can fly a 737. I booked it for Ian but they let me have a go too and it was great! The attention to detail was superb, even the passenger seats had screens in the windows which relayed what the pilot was doing. Think they've recently got a Vulcan simulator up and running too, which would be fun :thumb:

I've actually done a few of these, it's a bit of a hobby of mine. I have done the 737 fixed base sims a few times, down at Shoreham, in Singapore and somewhere else (escapes me)

I also did a Eurofighter Typhoon session in West Sussex, dog fighting against another chap.

Best of all was this years trip to the British Airways training centre at Heathrow though where I flew 2 hours in the 777-200 and 747-400 zero hours full motion sims. Absolutely superb experience. Thoroughly recommended.

The funny thing was, I took my Dad with me who used to work on the software for the full motion sims back in the early 90's and we turned up and found the sim we were using was one of his! (Obviously the visuals had been heavily upgraded) but it was a complete blast from the past for him.

IMG_7011.jpg

IMG_7011.jpg

If I can find it i'll upload the video...

Ask a Question