Health Warning On Computer Keyboards

Reaction score
Your computer keyboard could be dirtier than your toilet.

A study from Which? Computing has found some keyboards contained more bacteria than the average lavatory seat. Researchers took swabs from 30 office keyboards and uncovered a cocktail of bugs that can cause infection and illness.

Two contained staphylococcus aureus which can lead to skin infections and food poisoning. In one case, microbiologist James Francis recommended that a keyboard be removed as a precaution. He described its bacteria readings as "off the scale".

Mr Francis said the contamination is largely due to a lack of proper lunch breaks. "More and more people are eating at their desks and are transferring from hand to mouth all the time. That is making things worse," he explained.

"Telephones are also a problem. We have found a lot of pathogenic disease causing bacteria on telephones in hotel rooms for example. "It is often down to common sense. If something looks grimy and horrible there is a good chance it is." Jaclyn Clarabut, assistant editor at Which? Computing, told Sky News Online people have to take responsibility for their office environment.

"People should use alcohol wipes to really get rid of the germs. The best thing is to tip them upside down and watch the crumbs fall out. Once that's gone the bacteria stops growing," she said. "If people don't clean their keyboards regularly, they might as well eat lunch in the toilet."

Contrary to some advice posted online though, office workers should not take their keyboards home and put them in the dishwasher. Similar tests have found that mobile phones, desks and London underground seats can all be dirtier than toilets.

Edited from Sky News Online

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Urrgghh... that is really gross :( actually, I've never felt terribly happy about using "public" phones :nod:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
And I have never felt happy about using public toilets..Have always used tissue in my hand when opening doors to lavatorys and have never sat on a public toilet seat ever..Urghhh

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
feckit said:
"If people don't clean their keyboards regularly, they might as well eat lunch in the toilet."

What a ridiculous analogy. I don't eat lunch from my keyboard. Do you?

Reaction score
We're all still alive today, and ive eaten in front of my computer since ive had the thing ... no illnesses here

People dont tend to eat in toilets because of the smell, luckily my room doesnt smell of toilet

germs or no germs, im stll going to munch out in front of my computer ;)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Haha...
so what does this mean then? That Computer geeks who eat at thier computers have super human immune systems? :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I think it means that modern western society has become too soft.

Kids wrapped in cotton wool and everything disinfected. This leads to no natural build up of the immune system.

Nah then oor kid, when aye were t'lad we rolled around in dirt all day and that's why I never catch t' cold.

There is actually some truth in that.

And I couldn't believe this:

crazylegs said:
And I have never felt happy about using public toilets..Have always used tissue in my hand when opening doors to lavatorys and have never sat on a public toilet seat ever..Urghhh

I am reminded of Jim Carey in that film 'The Mask' where he's in a prison cell and lines the toilet seat with toilet paper before having a Pony. Lol, bunch of wussies :p

Not that I care to using a public karzie of course, I would rather use my own WC any old time but for gawd's sake, the human body was built to withstand a little filth.

If you can survive the Glastonbury Festival for six days without a shower or bath and use their toilets, you can survive anything. Think I'll give meself a medal then :D

Just for a moment try and imagine what our soldiers in WW1 and WW2 had to put up with on the front line.

And keyboards can and do fill up with crap. I hoover mine out about once a week. Common sense people, common sense :)

Reaction score
Reminds me of a survey done on> Peanuts on a pub bar> took sample and found 34 urine samples within Pee-nuts boom boom.:lol: yes its true.

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
And I couldn't believe this:

I am reminded of Jim Carey in that film 'The Mask' where he's in a prison cell and lines the toilet seat with toilet paper before having a Pony. Lol, bunch of wussies :p

Wussies? You don't believe that we should take any care about that, because most people don't. Well me and my family like to distinguish ourselves from 'most people', I'll let them get the free disease and infection, thanks. Of course you're going to clean the toilet seat before you sit on it!

floppybootstomp said:
Not that I care to using a public karzie of course, I would rather use my own WC any old time but for gawd's sake, the human body was built to withstand a little filth.

Err, no it wasn't. Number one, it wasn't 'built' at all. And two, how do you know what's on toilet door handles? People touching their privates, then touching the door handle, In my experience, I see around five percent of people wash their hands. Less in motorway services. I'd rather not touch that door handle, thanks, I don't know what infections people have but I certainly don't want them...

floppybootstomp said:
Just for a moment try and imagine what our soldiers in WW1 and WW2 had to put up with on the front line.

That was because they HAD to. Why should we aspire to do that too?

floppybootstomp said:
And keyboards can and do fill up with crap. I hoover mine out about once a week. Common sense people, common sense :)

You hoover your keyboard once a week and call others wussies? I too use tissue on public toilet door handles, but I've had this keyboard two years minus 12 days and it's only being cleaned because the backslash key is sticking...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You miss my point.

Look, I don't wallow in filth, in fact public karzies make me shudder.

All I'm saying is your immune system is better built than you realise unless your parents wrapped you up in cotton wool since infancy of course, in which case you gonna be a regular at your GP's.

I do tend to wipe the bog seat down with tissue but cleaning the handle? Yes, of course I look at it to make sure it ain't covered in excrement but if somebody has touched the handle after wiping their rear section, the germs will die within a minute or so, they can't survive without warmth and/or a host body.

I personally have a high standard of cleanliness but I'm not afraid to wallow in crap should I have to. It will not hurt you unless you're super stupid and ingest it.

Vacum cleaning my keyboard is common sense, not only does it look better without a layer of dust it also prevents problems with sticky keys and gets rid of any organic matter that may rot and breed nasty lurgeys.

When I say the 'human body was built' please don't take me literally, it was just an expression. All I mean is that we do have immune systems. It's been proved that in childhood, if you're sheltered from nature (open air, rolling in mud, the natural world, that kind of thing) then you will be more liable to infections. allergies and viruses.

Those living in 'third world' nations tend to be a lot more resilient to infections, maladies and allergies than their western counterparts because they are as one with the earth, this planet and nature.

We're raised in centrally heated, air conditioned buildings, only walk on concrete and in shopping malls and our parents shield us from what they think is harm but is in fact only natural.

Us, Homo Sapiens, as one with our home planet, Mother Nature if you will.

I made the analogy with soldiers in both major World Wars to illustrate how the human body can survive and that we're not as fragile or prone to infection as lots of some paranoid folk think. I'm not suggesting that you make trench warfare your daily routine ;)

Anyways, mud pie anyone? :)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
itsme said:
Reminds me of a survey done on> Peanuts on a pub bar> took sample and found 34 urine samples within Pee-nuts boom boom.
laughingsmiley.gif
yes its true.

I saw that too. Never had peanuts, or anything else edible, from a bar since.:p

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Unprotected food can be a turn-off here. A certain supermarket with a very good, but "open" fish-counter is a case in point. We were heading to it to make a purchase one day, when we noticed some schoolboys standing at the counter, they were having a great time, poking at the fish ... one of them did so after first picking his nose :eek: I know fish will be cooked and all that, but even so... yukky. On another occasion, a woman kept tossing her hair over the fish display, so the little flakes were probably dandruff, rather than salt.... :p

Yes, we did have a word with the fishmonger, and subsequently wrote to the manager, to suggest that it might be a good idea to have a protective glass screen-thingy (such as they have in some of the other supermarkets.) Many months later, the screen appeared - but shortly after that, the store had a major re-vamp and guess what...? Yup, fish is completely exposed again. Solution..... we get our's elsewhere ;)