Back in work today

Reaction score
interesting day. After 16months off I attend this morning. As for the long period of times off from work I am to be classed as a new starter.
What does that mean?

Well I have to go through all the training again. zzzzzzzz

Anyway, after 10mins in the office I was informed as a new starter I have to do some online courses consisting of H&E, Driving assessments, Equality/Diversity, Infection prevention and control, Covid19 Awareness and Manual handling. However as we are not allowed to share a computer because of the outbreak a link will be emailed to me and I can go home and do them there...

YAY??
No quite!!

Booooooring...
Anyway cut a long story shorter Here are some things I thought it would be nice to share.

Enjoy ;)

BTW I learned some stuff (never heard of Prions)

Infection Prevention and Control

Summary
Infections and infectious diseases are caused by harmful germs known as pathogens, pathogenic micro-organisms or biological agents.

They include bacteria, viruses, parasites, fungi, and infectious proteins called prions.

Bacteria can multiply rapidly at body temperature and reach harmful levels very quickly.

They can cause disease, but not all bacteria are harmful - in fact, some are actually essential for good health!

Bacterial illnesses are usually treated with antibiotics.

Viral illnesses are much more common than bacterial ones.

It only takes a few virus organisms to cause illness.

A virus cannot be cured with antibiotics.

Parasites are organisms that live on or inside another organism called a host (which can be a plant or an animal - including humans).

Parasites can include protozoa, which are microscopic single-celled organisms that live in water or damp conditions.

Fungi live on hosts which can be living or dead.

Athlete’s foot and ringworm are two examples of contagious fungal infections.

A prion is a type of protein that causes irreversible damage to brain cells.

The most common form of prion disease that affects humans is CJD. Most people with CJD will die within a year of the symptoms starting.

Zoonoses are infectious diseases which are spread between animals and humans.

A coronavirus is part of a large group of viruses that are zoonotic

Infections are transmitted through a process called the chain of infection.

This section looks at how transmission happens and what you can do to break the chain of infection where you work

There are six links in the chain of infection that can each carry a harmful micro-organism into a new human host.

Breaking even just one of the links will prevent the spread of infection.

The first link in the chain is the harmful germ or pathogen, such as bacteria or a virus, that damages the human body from within by causing infection, illness or disease.

The reservoir or source is the pathogen’s natural home environment.

This is the place where it lives and thrives.

The portal or means of exit is how the pathogen gets out of the source and into the wider world.

The means or mode of transmission is how the pathogen is passed from one person to the next, once it has exited the source.

The portal of entry is how the pathogen gets into a new host’s body.

A susceptible host is someone who is vulnerable to the pathogen in question.

To be as safe and healthy as possible you need to think about all six links in the chain of infection and decide on the best way to break the chain.

It’s easier to stop a pathogen from getting into a person than it is to stop one leaving an infected person.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Interesting info, had never heard of Zoonoses or prion's before. Sixteen months is a long lay of, as you are classed as a new starter do you have to make the tea and run to the pie shop at break times. :D

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Zoonoses = illnesses that spill over from animals to humans in certain circumstances. Examples are Covid 19, Ebola, Zika and Aids plus many others that are not well known.

Try to get hold of a book called "Spillover" which explains it all and will frighten the life out of you as it predicts more pandemics to come. We should be very grateful that Covid wasn't like Ebola which has a 75%+ death rate.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
We should be very grateful that Covid wasn't like Ebola which has a 75%+ death rate.

I said the same thing on another forum almost nine months ago. As the government knew about Ebola and several other virus outbreaks in Africa it is shocking at how unprepared they were for a virus outbreak. At the very least they should have had stocks of PPE built up and plans in place on how to deal with one.

Compare the response in 1950 to last years feeble response.

How mass vaccinations halted a killer virus in 1950s Glasgow

:cool:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Never heard of Zoonoses either!

Glad you're back at work @TriplexDread, I hope that means you've been given the OK as all is well :thumb: . Interesting time to be starting back at work, with the pandemic in the background. Are you in the workplace most of the time now, or do you have to work from home sometimes?

Reaction score
Never heard of Zoonoses either!

Glad you're back at work @TriplexDread, I hope that means you've been given the OK as all is well :thumb: . Interesting time to be starting back at work, with the pandemic in the background. Are you in the workplace most of the time now, or do you have to work from home sometimes?

I will be working with care homes. private homes and maybe some hospitals again so my whole life is about to become very different for the foreseeable future. Much more stringent rules especially when entering carehomes. No mostly out on the road Servicing equipment. Some office work but mostly out and about

Ask a Question