Coronavirus Cure

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
If you are stuck at home and are using your computer more than you would normally you could be helping to find a cure for the CV-19 virus. When you surf the net or watch a movie or listen to music or any of many daily tasks that you use your computer for your computer only uses a fraction of its available computing power. That spare computing power could be put to use finding a cure for the virus and many other diseases affecting folks all over the world.

You don't need to have your computer running flat out twenty four hours a day to help out. Below are three organizations that you can join to help out. If you want you can set your computer to help out only when you are using the computer with as little as 10% of its computing power. Or if you can afford to you could run your computer set to use 50% of its available power all day and all night.

This first organization mentioned below has a PCReview Team who have been helping out for many years sadly there are only a handful of dedicated regulars here helping out at the moment.

Here is a link to the thread dedicated to those fine folk.

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/crunchers-corner.310/

WORLD COMMUNITY GRID

Problem

COVID-19 is a disease caused by SARS-CoV2, a virus of the coronavirus family. These viruses cause diseases that affect mainly the human respiratory system and potentially other major organs. COVID-19 can lead to serious illness or even death.

As of the launch of this project, there is no treatment, cure, or vaccine for COVID-19.

Proposed Solution

Scientists at Scripps Research are doing molecular modeling simulations to look for possible candidates for the development of treatments for COVID-19, but to be successful they need massive computing power to carry out millions of simulated laboratory experiments.

The project’s primary goal is to search for potential treatments for COVID-19, so studying proteins from SARS-CoV2 (the virus that causes COVID-19) is the highest priority.

How You Can Help
As a World Community Grid volunteer, you download a secure software program to your computer. And when your computer is not using its full computing power, it will automatically run a simulated experiment in the background which will help predict the effectiveness of a particular chemical compound as a possible treatment for COVID-19.Then, your computer contacts the World Community Grid server to let it know that it has completed the simulation, which is automatically and securely sent back to us.

All of this happens unobtrusively, while you are going about your regular activities such as typing an email, browsing the internet, or while your computer is idle but left on.

World Community Grid receives the results you send back (often called work units or research tasks), combines them with hundreds of thousands of results from other volunteers all over the world, and sends them to the Scripps Research team. The researchers then begin the difficult work of analyzing the data. While this process doesn't happen overnight, it accelerates what would otherwise take many years, or might even be impossible.

FOLDING@HOME

Coronavirus – What we’re doing and how you can help in simple terms
March 15, 2020
by Greg Bowman

TL;DR: We’re simulating the dynamics of COVID-19 proteins to hunt for new therapeutic opportunities. Scroll to the bottom of the page to see a list of ways you can help.

and helping us run simulations is the primary way to contribute. These calculations are enormous and every little bit helps! Each simulation you run is like buying a lottery ticket. The more tickets we buy, the better our chances of hitting the jackpot. Usually, your computer will never be idle, but we’ve had such an enthusiastic response to our COVID-19 work that you will see some intermittent downtime as we sprint to setup more simulations. Please be patient with us! There is a lot of valuable science to be done, and we’re getting it running as quickly as we can.

ROSETTA@HOME

By running Rosetta@home on your computer when you're not using it you will speed up and extend our efforts to design new proteins and to predict their 3-dimensional shapes. Proteins are the molecular machines and building blocks of life.

"We are happy to report that the Rosetta molecular modeling suite was recently used to accurately predict the atomic-scale structure of an important coronavirus protein weeks before it could be measured in the lab. Knowledge gained from studying this viral protein is now being used to guide the design of novel vaccines and antiviral drugs."

Since the release of SARS-CoV-2 genome sequences in late January, a number of important corona virus proteins like the one described above have been modeled on R@h volunteer computers. A list of these proteins is provided by the Seattle Structural Genomics Center for Infectious Disease (SSGCID).

"We are happy to report that the Rosetta molecular modeling suite was recently used to accurately predict the atomic-scale structure of an important coronavirus protein weeks before it could be measured in the lab. Knowledge gained from studying this viral protein is now being used to guide the design of novel vaccines and antiviral drugs."

Since the release of SARS-CoV-2 genome sequences in late January, a number of important corona virus proteins like the one described above have been modeled on R@h volunteer computers. A list of these proteins is provided by the Seattle Structural Genomics Center for Infectious Disease (SSGCID).

As you can see there are quite a few folk around the world who are willing to help out. Naturally we would like you to join the PCREVIEW TEAM as we are a really competitive bunch of folk here and want to get to the top of the leader board :lol: However joining any of the above efforts will help to find a cure for this virus.

So folks you have a chance here to help out or not.

Spend a little time and effort understanding what community computing is and getting it up and running on your pc knowing that you will have helped to beat the virus eventually.

Or you could just carry on watching Gogglebox , sucking your thumb, posting fatuous posts on Facebook or Twittering like a moron in the hope that the virus will get sorted by someone else.

Your choice folks.

:cool:

I also think that it is pretty disgusting that none of the four recent UK Gov. Science Ministers have not been promoting community computing at any time. maybe because they can not buy shares in it.

UK government finally confirms new science minister

In a government that continually stresses its commitment to research and innovation, Solloway’s ranking of under-secretary sees science slip down a rung. Her predecessor Chris Skidmore held the more senior minister of state title.

Reacting to the appointment John Womersley, director general of European Spallation Source, said, “I do hope that the kind-of, sort-of, not-quite announcement of Amanda Solloway’s appointment as Science Minister is just a communications misstep, and doesn’t indicate that she’s kind-of, sort-of, not-quite empowered in the post. The role of science minister is too important, and too critical right now, for this to be anything other than an important, visible, decision making role.”

Martin Rees, the Astronomer Royal, and fellow of Trinity College Cambridge, was even more withering. “This is the fourth change in the holder of this post in little over a year. Let's hope that Amanda Solloway stays long enough to get up-to-speed on a challenging and diverse brief,” Rees said.

Also the pathetic BBC coverage, sorry that should read, non coverage of this is truly appalling. Mind you would they even understand the concept of community computing when they have not even got the required brain power to produce a fifteen minute episode of the Archers radio show during the lock down.

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Well done to the two folk who posted a reaction to this thread.

As to the 876 pathetic individuals who looked at the thread and made no comment all i can say is you truly are pathetic folk. You could not even be bothered giving a thumbs up or some other sign of encouragement to a post that is showing folks how they could help in real time to find a way to defeat the virus. What sad spineless folk you are.

:cool:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Hope I'm not one of the 876 !!! I've been crunching for Covid since it first became available and made some comments on the Stats Post several days ago. :nod:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Hope I'm not one of the 876 !!! I've been crunching for Covid since it first became available and made some comments on the Stats Post several days ago. :nod:

Nope you are most certainly not included in the 876. You are a dedicated cruncher and have been for many years before this present situation arose. :bow:

Interestingly there have now been 999 views of this thread and only three comments or replies. What sad folk there are out there in the world. :cool:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. At a time like this you might have thought that more people would have risen to the challenge.

Reaction score
I actually take offense to being called Pathetic.

I crunched for many years for PCR and spent many, many hundreds of pounds to do it.
I retired from it several years ago because I could no longer afford it.
So simply because I looked at your post and did not reply does not make me pathetic

In my eyes your title was click bait. this is why others have looked and not replied
I have now been off of work for almost a year due to a back injury in an accident while I was in work
Not that I need to make excuses for myself, however I have been short on money WELL before Covid came to life

I am not pathetic. Be careful with your words please!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Be careful with your words please!

Be VERY careful with your words! I was the one who started PCR's crunchin corner. I have no reason to 'defend' myself for no longer being a cruncher.

You came very close to this thread being closed.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yep I have been crunching the units since they first appeared on WCGrid, they are actually quite fast units to crunch at roughly 4.5hours per unit on my Laptop

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Yep I have been crunching the units since they first appeared on WCGrid, they are actually quite fast units to crunch at roughly 4.5hours per unit on my Laptop

No idea how fast units crunch on my rig. Must be doing some good though as they gave me a Gold medal some weeks ago. :blush:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Results Status, when they turn to "Valid"

I do not have "Results Status" but there is a box telling me how long a unit has been running and how long there is left to run. Seems too work out from an hour to two hours each.

:nod:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Log into WCG then go to My Contribution and Results Status is one of the sub groups on the left.

WCG.JPG

Click Results Status and you get..........

WCG2.JPG

elapsed time for each unit crunched. :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Log into WCG then go to My Contribution and Results Status is one of the sub groups on the left.

View attachment 13586

Click Results Status and you get..........

View attachment 13587

elapsed time for each unit crunched. :)

I think I have only logged into the WCG site a handfull of times. My Covid units are taking one and a half hours each and the only other projects showing up are Microbiome Immunity ones all other's seem to have stopped for the last months.

:wave:

Ask a Question