Coronavirus Preparation

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on this COVID-19 pandemic? Have you started preparing for it at all?

I went out for some food last night and heard pretty much every other table nearby mention it at some point. Earlier in the week (Monday) I also saw a couple of people walking around my local town wearing a face mask... which was quite unusual!

I also overheard a staff member in Home Bargains complain that they are being asked about hand sanitizer every 5 mins :lol: .

Are you concerned about it, isolating yourself or preparing for it at all?

Reaction score
Even though doctors on TV have been saying that wearing a face mask doesn't prevent you from getting the virus, it is near impossible to buy a dust mask here in our area of the USA.

I own a hardware store in NY State and there was a customer that came in and bought all of my face masks and said that he was selling and shipping them to Texas.

Authorities are urging people to stop hoarding face masks, as there is now a shortage of them in the health care field.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Not prepping as such, but we have been getting a few bits more than we would normally, Calpol, pasta etc. More stuff for Amelie than for ourselves.

I can see it getting quite bad if its not contained, and I think we are now past that stage too.

Lol at the face masks, people are clueless.

What gets me is the prices of hand sanitizer on the bay. People should be banned for that ****.

Reaction score
Hand sanitiser sold out in Boots by where I am
They had signs in shop window asking people not to ask

Crazy

I have some in my car and several large bottle at home but tbh I use it anyway regardless
Even more so after visiting shops and doctors now

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Funny thing is you can make your own for very little. IPA and Aloe Vera gel. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think I'm just resigned to getting it, as so many of my friends work in healthcare as nurses, doctors etc... Already they've had people come in to the doctors surgery asking if they have it (despite the advice!). If it turns out to be worse than expected, I may just buy lots of pot noodles and wait it out :lol: .

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah I think the likely hood of getting it is getting more and more by the day. There's about 1000 people on site here who come from all over. Its more like a matter of time than anything else.

I think there is also a lot of people who have it that haven't been diagnosed.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think there is also a lot of people who have it that haven't been diagnosed.
Yup, I'd bet it's 100's in the UK already. Especially if most people have it fairly mild. Just look at how fast it spread in Italy and South Korea :eek: .

Reaction score
Close the borders and impose compulsary testing for all eldery, children and sick

The send them Sh*theads in China the bill for keeping it under wraps for so long before admitting it was out of control putting literally millions of people at rick

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I think it is impossible to prevent this spreading throughout the whole country over the next few weeks no matter what we do. I also think that it will be just like any other "flu" epidemic and that the vast majority will get over it with just a couple of days out of action and that the elderly and people with pre-existing problems will be the ones that will need special attention. The death rate, so far, seems to be very similar to that which we get every year when the "flu" goes round.

I am not going to wear a face mask (probably can't get one now anyway) and will stick to frequent hand washing. If I go down with it I will simply keep everyone away from me until I'm sure I'm better.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Just after I posted this, it turns out 3 people in my town have it + 1 more in the hospital.

I'm not so much worried about myself, as I'm healthy and in my 30s, but I do worry about older friends/family/neighbours and some friends in poor health. I suspect the biggest impact will be panic in the general population as soon as things run out of stock.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I have a compromised immune system so am pretty worried, If I contract Covid-19 it will possibly take me out

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I have a compromised immune system so am pretty worried, If I contract Covid-19 it will possibly take me out

Are you able to work from home if possible till it blows over? I've got a friend in a similar position and I hope she can do this too, as even catching regular bugs is very problematic for her.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Alert2.JPG

:D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
They estimate that there are 2,516,640 germs living on your cell phone right now, the equivalent of 503 toilet seats. You could drink the water from your dog's dish and consume less germs.

Remember, soap kills 99.9% of germs, (so they say) so go wash your hands & phone now!

:wave:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Are you able to work from home if possible till it blows over? I've got a friend in a similar position and I hope she can do this too, as even catching regular bugs is very problematic for her.
Am isolating myself as much as possible at the mo, yep regular bugs and colds do me in so hoping I can pass this by

Ask a Question