10 Things You Didn't Know About Hygiene

Reaction score
1. The human body is home to some 1,000 species of bacteria. There are more germs on your body than people in the United Kingdom.

2. Anti-bacterial soap is no more effective at preventing infection than normal soap, and triclosan (the active ingredient) can mess with your sex hormones.

3. A study of over 11,000 children determined that an overly hygienic environment increases the risk of eczema and asthma.

4. Monks of the Jain Dharma (a minority religion in India) are forbidden to bathe any part of their bodies besides the hands and feet, believing the act of bathing might jeopardize the lives of millions of microorganisms.

5. Ancient Egyptians and Aztecs rubbed urine on their skin to treat cuts and burns. Urea, a key chemical in urine, is known to kill fungi and bacteria.

6. A student in Florida recently won a school science competition by proving there are more bacteria in ice machines at fast-food restaurants than in toilet-bowl water.

7. There's no "three-second rule" when it comes to dropping food on the ground. Bacteria need no time at all to contaminate food.
Also on Encarta

8. The first true toothbrush, consisting of Siberian pig-hair bristles wired into carved cattle-bone handles, was invented in China in 1498. Yet it wasn't until the nineteenth century that toothbrushes were mass manufactured in Britain.

9. Up to a quarter of all women giving birth in European and American hospitals in the 17th through 19th centuries died of puerperal fever, an infection spread by unhygienic nurses and doctors.

10. University of Arizona researchers determined that television remotes are the worst carriers of bacteria in hospital rooms, worse even than toilet handles.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
But don't forget that 98% of bacteria are harmless and many are essential to humans particularly those in the gut. :)

Reaction score
Mmmm..Interesting...I reada thing a while back where some scientist type people test a loo seat from one of them porta loo things at Glastonbury after it had been used for the whole weekend, then they tested a womans hands who had been sat at her office desk for four hours....Results came back the woman had billions more germs/bacteria on her hands from that short space of timethan the bog seat...Quite scary when ya think the amount of times you might touch your fce, or in my case the amount of times I stick me fingers in me mouth....

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Wouldn't worry about it Madx, you're still alive. :D

Reaction score
Yeah MadXDont hink your own germs will kill ya or we'd all be dead long ago...i actually work in a clean room environment(pharmaceutical) and we have to sterilize everything and people are the worst source of contamination. We make injectables for sick patients and sterility is taken very seriously.
Everytime you enter the clean area you are swabbed and if anything comes back bug wise any product made at that time is rejected. The risl is too serious to take chances.
Its actualy compulsory to shower before starting work....
Anyway its a bad idea to dwell on the subject of germs and buge or you will get paranoid about everything.
I'm going back to work now.
Zzzzz:wave:

Ask a Question