10 Things You Didn't Know About Sleep

Reaction score
1. Your alarm is set for 6 a.m.—why do you wake up at 5:59 a.m.? The body's internal alarm clock, which enables some people to wake up naturally at the time they desire, is triggered by the stress hormone adrenocorticotropin. The levels of this hormone begin to rise an hour or two before an expected wake-up call, to prepare the body gradually for the stress of waking up.

2. A six-year study of a million adults showed that people who get only six to seven hours of sleep a night have a lower death rate than those who get eight hours.

3. In 1964, 17-year-old Randy Gardner stayed awake for 264 hours and 12 minutes, the officially recognized world record. He then slept for 15 hours—not a record, but not bad.

4. In a gesture of integration with the European Union, Spain has launched a campaign to eliminate the tradition of siestas, or afternoon naps.

5. Thanks in part to their afternoon naps, Spaniards sleep an average of 40 minutes less per night than other Europeans. Spain also has the highest rate of workplace accidents in the EU and the third lowest productivity rate.

6. A 2002 study by Oxford University researchers concluded, brilliantly, that the traditional practice of counting sheep is an ineffective cure for insomnia. The mental activity is so boring that other problems and concerns inevitably surface.

7. A Muslim couple in India is being forced to split up after the husband uttered the word "talaq," the Arabic word for divorce, three times in his sleep. According to Muslim law, the "triple talaq" is an actual divorce.

8. Dreaming is related to bursts of electrical activity that blow through the brain stem every 90 minutes during REM sleep. Over a lifetime, an average person spends more than six years dreaming, clocking more than 136,000 dreams in all. But nobody knows why we dream.

9. Mattresses have an average life span of eight to 10 years. They grow some nasty stuff in that time; one study links mattress bacteria to sudden infant death syndrome.

10. Somniphobia is the fear of sleep.

Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
2. A six-year study of a million adults showed that people who get only six to seven hours of sleep a night have a lower death rate than those who get eight hours.

10. Somniphobia is the fear of sleep.

2. I only sleep about 3 hours a night, so does this mena I stand even a lesser chance of snuffing it...?:p

As for No. 10...I have been having NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming) treatment for the last 3 years, as I suffer from a serious phobia of sleep..After years of different medications and a Doctor that finally agreed the medication was doing more harm than good, reffered me to a NLP doctor, things are getting better and I can sleep a few hours a night now, but its not easy, although it is getting easier than it was a few years back...

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
1. Your alarm is set for 6 a.m.—why do you wake up at 5:59 a.m.? The body's internal alarm clock, which enables some people to wake up naturally at the time they desire, is triggered by the stress hormone adrenocorticotropin. The levels of this hormone begin to rise an hour or two before an expected wake-up call, to prepare the body gradually for the stress of waking up.

Stress?? I actually like waking up - I think it's much better than the alternative. :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
2. I only sleep about 3 hours a night, so does this mena I stand even a lesser chance of snuffing it...?:p

As for No. 10...I have been having NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming) treatment for the last 3 years, as I suffer from a serious phobia of sleep..After years of different medications and a Doctor that finally agreed the medication was doing more harm than good, reffered me to a NLP doctor, things are getting better and I can sleep a few hours a night now, but its not easy, although it is getting easier than it was a few years back...[/i][/size][/font]

Your NLP practitioner must be crap or is ripping you of. Three years
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Your NLP practitioner must be crap or is ripping you of. Three years
laughingsmiley.gif

Erm, yeah he is pretty expensive, and the fact have to travel all the way to Scotland to see him....Would be nice if it could all be over and I could sleep well, but I spent a childhood been teased and traumatised by two older brothers..And it is taking a long time for this bloke to untangle what they did to me.....

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Erm, yeah he is pretty expensive, and the fact have to travel all the way to Scotland to see him....Would be nice if it could all be over and I could sleep well, but I spent a childhood been teased and traumatised by two older brothers..And it is taking a long time for this bloke to untangle what they did to me.....

Sorry to hear that Mad. Still recon he is ripping you of. When I did the NLP Practitioners training back in the early 90's the emphasis was on giving the client the tools to help themselves. An expert in this field does not really need to know what the clients problem is in great depth as it is not the problem that is important. What is important is where the client would like or want to be. A good analogy would be, if someone stops and asks you the way to X you don't need to know that they came from Y as it does not have any bearing on the directions you give them to get to X. Digging around in the past and rehashing all the traumas it contains is old fashioned and causes even more trauma for the client and can impact on the practitioner aswell. Hardly an elegant way to achieve a happy outcome. Least ways thats what I was taught and it made sense to me.

nod.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Sorry to hear that Mad. Still recon he is ripping you of. When I did the NLP Practitioners training back in the early 90's the emphasis was on giving the client the tools to help themselves. An expert in this field does not really need to know what the clients problem is in great depth as it is not the problem that is important. What is important is where the client would like or want to be. A good analogy would be, if someone stops and asks you the way to X you don't need to know that they came from Y as it does not have any bearing on the directions you give them to get to X. Digging around in the past and rehashing all the traumas it contains is old fashioned and causes even more trauma for the client and can impact on the practitioner aswell. Hardly an elegant way to achieve a happy outcome. Least ways thats what I was taught and it made sense to me.

nod.gif

Its nice to hear this from somebody thathas done the training..In the past friends have said to me yer been ripped off, and i'd just say to them what do they know..But to actually hear it from somebody that does know makes it sound better..I am definately going to look into this now..Cheers Abar...LOL and no need for sorry, you weren't one of the little sh*ts putting spiders and things into me bed before I went to sleep....

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Have to agree with AB. I have also done a lot of NLP over the years. You have to remember that not every "therapy" works for every person. Even traditional medicines don't effect everyone equally and can be useless for some.

My policy was always that if something wasn't working THEN TRY SOMETHING ELSE.It's usually possible to say that something is working, or not, within a couple of months and then new ideas need to be sought.

Reaction score
nivrip said:
Have to agree with AB. I have also done a lot of NLP over the years. You have to remember that not every "therapy" works for every person. Even traditional medicines don't effect everyone equally and can be useless for some.

My policy was always that if something wasn't working THEN TRY SOMETHING ELSE.It's usually possible to say that something is working, or not, within a couple of months and then new ideas need to be sought.

Again nice to know somebody else that has done the training etc..When I first went for NLP, I went in totally blind..I didn't have a clue what it was bouit or anything..Defo goiung to do a bit more research, and put a holt to seen this guy..And hey maybe its just not for me...One day i'll sleep properly..

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuro-...erls.2C_Virginia_Satir.2C_and_Milton_Erickson

Frogs into Princes is well worth a read. Bandler took a couple of the modules on the 6 month course I took and I found both him and all the trainers very interesting and nice folk. What convinced me that there was some value in the training was their approach to clients.

"They respected the client as someone doing the best they knew how (rather than judging them as "broken" or "working""

Of course as with horses you can take em to the water but you can not make em drink, with humans they may say they "want" to change but unless they really "want" to change any thing they try will not really work.

Another aspect of the training was the way they had based the concept on the working practices of some of the best and most influential professionals in their fields.

"Modeling of Fritz Perls, Virginia Satir, and Milton Erickson"

I particularly like one story about Milton Erickson.

One day a very large overweight woman turned up on his doorstep and told him a tale of woe. How she had undergone this therapy and that and the amount of money and time she had spent and how all the therapist were usless as they had not cured her and could not even find out what was wrong with her. He was her last hope could he help ? Of course I can Milton told her. You are FAT eat less exercise more, and with that he closed the door on her.

laughingsmiley.gif

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Yup, Frogs Into Princes by Bandler and Grinder and also Change Your Mind, And Keep The Change by Steve and Connirae Andreas are books to look at especially if you have some existing knowledge of NLP.

both are fairly easy to read. :thumb:

Ask a Question