MySpace Hacked ... again

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Visiting the page exposes the visitor to an exploit that installs malware unless the user is fully patched against the most recent security vulnerabilities.

By (e-mail address removed)
InformationWeek
November 8, 2007 07:40 PM

Avoid Alicia Keys' Web page on MySpace. It's been hacked.

Roger Thompson, CTO at Exploit Prevention Labs, has found multiple hacked MySpace pages, including the page for Alicia Keys, the social networking site's fourth most popular music artist.

In keeping with what appears to be a new trend among security researchers, Thompson has released a video depicting the hack on YouTube. He has also posted details on his blog.

Visiting the page exposes the visitor to an exploit that installs malware unless the user is fully patched against the most recent security vulnerabilities. "They're using an exploit to install software in the background," Thompson explains in the video.

Even those with patched systems are vulnerable. The hackers have found a way to associate their malicious URL with what would normally be a non-clickable background area on the Web page. The result is that clicks outside specific clickable controls get captured and interpreted as a click on the malicious URL.

"If you click anywhere outside a given control, [the malicious URL] will be the default control that it goes to," Thompson explains. "It's a really interesting technique and it's going to catch a lot of people."

"What's not clear at this point is how they're doing it, and how widespread it is," Thompson says on his blog. "Neither Google (NSDQ: GOOG) nor MySpace seems to be indexing the critical bit of HTML. If you search for the exploit site (co8vd.cn), the only results seem to be victims, or people talking about victims."

In a conversation via instant message, Thompson said that social networking sites are increasingly become vectors of attack. "The whole point of browser stuff is that it bypasses the firewall," he explained. A spokesperson for MySpace was not immediately available to comment on the attack.
:rolleyes:

http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=202804073

I have blocked all access to MySpace and myriad other social networking sites for a long time now, and I strongly recommend that you do the same.

user.gif

Reaction score
Mine is constantly getting hacked :p

The amount of those handbag advertisments i send out to people, is amazing! haha

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
My space ? I thought that was a woman thing , as in , "I need my space"

laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
:p

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
My space ? I thought that was a woman thing , as in , "I need my space"

laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif
:p

I dunno I need space aswell sometimes...:D :lol: :D

Reaction score
Not sure Hacked is the correct word. After all its people who use it that allow them in, Hackers force their way in via any means possible.

It's phishing, they supply link you tap the link which in turns allow them to collect passwords. No one else fault but your own. Dnt click on handbags is the easy option. Or Women that are half dressed showing their bits hanging out saying "hi ive just joined add me" Pathetic!

Yep it happens on myspace aswell, but if you have common sense you know not to!!

I dont get facebook anyway everything on one page awful design imo :p

Ask a Question