Warning comes after Microsoft warns on bug in browser

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/09/18/microsoft-browser-idINL1E8KIH6320120918

FRANKFURT/BOSTON, Sept 18 (Reuters) - The German government urged the public on Tuesday to temporarily stop using Microsoft Corp's Internet Explorer following discovery of yet-to-be repaired bug in the web browser that the software maker said makes PCs vulnerable to attack by hackers.
The security flaw, which affects hundreds of millions of Internet Explorer browser users around the globe, publicly surfaced over the weekend.
Microsoft had said on Monday that attackers can exploit the bug to infect the PC of somebody who visits a malicious website and then take control of the victim's computer.
The German government's Federal Office for Information Security, or BSI, said that it was aware was aware of targeted attacks and that all that was needed was to lure web surfers to a website where hackers had planted malicious software that exploited the bug in Internet Explorer to infect their PCs.
"A fast spreading of the code has to be feared," the German government said in its statement.
BSI advised all users of Internet Explorer to use an alternative browser until the manufacturer has released a security update.

:cool:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
What to do: Here, in a nutshell, are your options:

1) Use another browser. Until Microsoft releases a patch for this new threat, simply do all your Web browsing with Firefox or Chrome — and make sure they're fully updated.

2) Remove Java. If you must use IE, ensure that Java is fully disabled or not installed. I discussed this in my Sept. 6 Patch Watch column.

3) Use the Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit. If you can't operate without IE and Java, Microsoft's EMET software can help.

In the meantime, keep an eye out for a soon-to-be-released Microsoft fixit for Internet Explorer; it should provide protection until a patch is ready.

:user:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
For a fourth option you could always get rid of the aggravation and expense in time and money and dump Microsoft products altogether. Use GNU/Linux on a usb stick or a cd or dvd or do a full install to a hdd and enjoy your computing.

:lol:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
For a fourth option you could always get rid of the aggravation and expense in time and money and dump Microsoft products altogether. Use GNU/Linux on a usb stick or a cd or dvd or do a full install to a hdd and enjoy your computing.

:lol:
Windows is much easier to use for new computer users.

Windows has a much larger selection of available software.

Many companies still do not offer drivers or support for their hardware in Linux.

While I can play GW2 on PC, and, a Mac, Linux is not supported, maybe, as ANet are really nice people, it'll come, one day.

The "problem" is NOT the operating system Windows, just another hole in Internet Explorer ... in Win Vista & 7, you can "turn-it-off" anyway.

If you think Linux is Virus, back-door, Trojan prof, then IMHO, you are an id10t. :)

:user:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Nope GNU/Linux is not 100% secure. It is a fair bit better than Windows though.
An that old turkey about ease of use well that is just plain old FUD. An the drivers issue is pretty much covered these days.Gaming has more choice on Windows but I recon by this time next year it will be a lot different.
Yes there is more choice of programs on Windows but you have to pay for an awful lot of it and then keep on paying and paying. An whilst there are more programs in Windows a vast number are copycats and I would suggest there are more unique ones in total in the GNU/Linux world.

We just have to agree to disagree methinks. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I tire of this Windows Vs Linux argument.

Both have disadvantages and advantages.

Neither one is better than the other though personally, at this stage in the ballgame, I'd choose Windows for ease of use and games compatibility.

Yes, I'm aware of the political/financial/corporate/backstabbing issues involved
Yes, I couldn't give a monkeys, I'm selfish and I'll just use what's best for me
The fact IE has another security loophole is nothing new, there's a veritable army out there constantly trying to crack anything Microsoft cos they don't like Microsoft or are jealous or or just plain nasty gits who should have been smothered at birth.

So handle it, ok? Microsoft will soon patch the exploit and in the menatime just use another browser if you're that scared, not a big deal.

People who try and hold up any Linux distro as being better than Windows are talking largely from their rear orifice. Morally, they're correct but in the real world, they are way off kilter.

All most folks want to do is use their computer to do tasks and do them easily. Windows largely fulfils this requirement. Linux, largely, does not. Simple.

Only folk with at least a smidgen of computer savvy can use Linux but I will admit it's getting better, a helluva lot better.

But whatever, coming down on one side firmly is childish. Look at what's available, suss what you have the knowledge to use, use it. Use both if you want to.

As I said, this rivalry is becoming boring.

Ask a Question