Car running costs?

Reaction score
lol!

Flops: i meant just the look of the thing, its a bit feminine to look at, it has a huge ass too... Most weird looking thing.

The clio just looks a bit more manly... Probably why it was advertised by a girl, to get the blokes attention.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
its a bit feminine to look at, it has a huge ass
Never try that one on a girl - it doesn't work (usually!) ;) :thumb:

Reaction score
I got driving lesson today...well if you can call it a lesson...

My nan lives on a farm with her husband whos a crop farmer, he has an old silver E reg renault 21, It's a Turbo Diesel, so it has a fair bit of power, and it is front wheel drive so it handles nicely on slippery things...

...Saying that...

It was wet, and we decided to go up a lane, there was fields either side, and i was told to do a 3 point turn thing... I drove into the field, put it into reverse and...well...lots of noise and not much movement. Opened the door to see that the front wheels had sunk about a foot deep into freshly planted crops, and mud. Oops.

Getting it out was fun, nan with her foot to the floor in reverse and me pushing as hard as i could on the front of the car. It worked!

Most fun

It's all good practice though, i can now drive around without stalling and hill starts i now find quite easy :)

After driving around for a bit the last time we were there, i persuaded dad to let me drive his car - a Volvo 940 Estate with a 2.3 litre Turbo engine. Quite different to the renault 21 Turbo Diesel... Stalled it immediatly.

He informs me diesels are harder to stall.

I think i will get a diesel car...

See attached pic.

Was awesome.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Me Driving.JPG
    Me Driving.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 264

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
hehe, Ian's absolutely correct.

If ever you want to stay on the right side of a female...

Never, ever, ever, ever..... tell her she has a big ass.

Instant kiss of death.

Now where were we?

Ah yes - cars.

Chris - that pic be a farm shot. A farm shot in the middle of summer or a typically British off-season kinda day.

You don't by chance, own a smock with three X's on it, chew a blade of straw and can pronouce ooh-arrrrrrr in a reasonably convincing fashion?

Maybe you could learn to drive in a Tractor?

Oh stop it flops, stop it.... :D

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Yup, they are about a week apart. Seems about right though if I think about it :)

really?
39 hours = 39 weeks = very very long time!!!

r u sure u cant make it any quicker!?
but good thing is ul be ready with your car in the summertime:)

Reaction score
Flops - that pic is of the last time i was there, september... or may have been the time before that.

I dont say stuff like that, but me nans hubby does!!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've got my placement now (at Star Chaser - www.starchaser.co.uk) and its only about 8 miles away so a bus is fine for getting there :) Car is on hold once again ;)

On lesson #5 so far and its all going ok, just another 15 to go!

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I've got my placement now (at Star Chaser - www.starchaser.co.uk) and its only about 8 miles away so a bus is fine for getting there :) Car is on hold once again ;)

On lesson #5 so far and its all going ok, just another 15 to go!

8 miles on a bus? no way thats missions! a car would be better for this journey and general movement!

im getting a new car soon! its difficult without one u know.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i first drove my mums old discovery in a field about 3 years ago and that was easy put it in gear and take your foot off the clutch slowly and it just pulls away, diesel cars are the easiest to drive. then again that was 2.5L turbo diesel with tons of torque

i started driving lessons back in august i've had about 20 lessons and im hopefully going to do my test in january, the whole 40 lessons/hours thing is supposedly the average time it takes people to learn to drive.

Reaction score
Discoveries are awesome - i have driven the USA version - 4.6 litre V8, or something similar, but that was an auto...

I'm getting a diesel for my first car definatly - they are harder to stall, and cheaper! Have driven the Renault 21 Turbo Diesel (see the picture near the beginning) and thats reallly hard to stall.

Hopped into my dads Volvo 940 2.3 litre Turbo (estate) and up came the clutch, "Eurgh" went the engine and it died. MUCH difference between the two!!

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i was going to get it when my mum got her new jeep but the head gasket blew so we traded it in at the dealership, so i got a 1.0 corsa instead

Reaction score
Thought you all might like to know that i bought a car today...my first :)

Its a Peugeot 306 XR 1.6 Litre 5 door Hatchback and its Cherry Red (maybe i'll get some pics up soon)

Its N reg (late 1995) and we got it for a good price...got the guy down to £800 from £1K as it needs some (hopefully) minor work done to it... It otherwise is in brilliant shape! 71,000 miles is not a bad amount either!!

Power Steering
Airbag
Electric Windows
Electric Sunroof
Keypad Immobiliser

And strangely enough some beefy boy racer speakers...no stereo though... will buy a Sony CDXS2000 - i thought this looked cool, and would match the interior nicely.

note: i am not a boy racer.

Straight after buying the car we immediatly went to halfords and (I) spent a hundred quid on new indicator bulbs, air filter, oil filter, semi synthetic oil, haynes manual, L plates, air freshener and a couple of interior cleaning things. It will need a cam belt replacement soon (reccomended by Haynes) and the MOT runs out in 2 weeks, it has no tax... so you can see why we tried to get him as low as possible!!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Congrats Chris, two things:

If you think the cam belt needs replacing, do it now, if that goes it could mash your whole engine.

Get it into the MOT test asap so you know what needs doing (if anything).

I've got the Sony CDX-R3300 and I'm well pleased with it, plays all my mp3 CD's just great :)

Bet you a little bit excited eh? I can well remember getting my first car, a big moment :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Nice one Chris :)

How far through with the driving lessons are you? The 306 looks like a nice car!

Reaction score
yes congratulations mate!

same guy with 100% on your test rite?
many happy returns!

the 306 is a good nippy car, will serve you well! those cars are reliable!
the only aspect i never liked with them was the bodywork on them and some parts of the car are v expensive to replace.

yes itll be nice to see some pics of this beauty :)

Ask a Question