Scrap Car Dealers

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hey Yall,

So my Missus had a Ford Ka which is kind of knackered, i am okay with cars but am no expert.

We have replaced it with a 55 Peugeot 206 SE, but know i need to get rid of the Ka, R reg, 1997, 70,000 miles.

The problem it has is that its always over revving and it seems like there is very little power, it takes ages to get upto 30mph and is frankly dangerous to drive.

However it has all the glass in it, 3 out of 4 panels are dent and mark free, a new battery, the gearbox works fine, a shiny new exhaust.

Basically i want someone to give me £200 for the car as i know a breakers yard can make a profit off of it.

Plus i just forked out £4600 for the new car for my girlfiend and would like to recoup some cash for my PC build in March.

But where do i look???

I phoned two places, one offered me £50 the other said i had to pay him to get it moved, he got told to go **** himself.

Am in Birmingham, and thankyou for reading.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Breakers as you have discovered will give you next to nothing - try a local advert or eBay :thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
feckit - just read your deleted post and it was probably wise....but why didn't you just edit it instead of posting a new one and save some server space?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I very much doubt if you'll realise £200.00 for it :(

I phoned about six breakers to get rid of my Merc, was offered £20.00; Didn't want it at all; We'll take it off your hands for nothing and You pay us to take it off you.

In the end I took it to the breakers yard I'd often bought spares from in Deptford and the guy gave me fifty quid for it for being a good customer.

Reading your description of the Ka, sounds like it needs one panel repair and an exchange engine.

What would the cost of that be? Cos 70K miles is quite low, really.

Not suggesting you entertain the idea but maybe if you found out you could tell anybody interested in buying it.

Reaction score
Advertise it thus> Breaking or repair best offer accepted [describe the KA] when sold receipt as > Sold with no guarantee and NOT in a roadworthy condition, for repair or breaking only.

And keep the receipt with the buyers signature;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
You want £200 for an 11 year old piece of scrap. Blimey and folk think I'm tight.

:p

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Okay so after some digging it appears that the HEAD GASKET has gone or has very nearly gone.

Anyone know of a reliable car repair chain or has a mate in the Midlands willing to have a look at it for me as i'm told its a fairly easy procedure?

Obviously will pay, as long as its reasonable.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
Okay so after some digging it appears that the HEAD GASKET has gone or has very nearly gone.

Anyone know of a reliable car repair chain or has a mate in the Midlands willing to have a look at it for me as i'm told its a fairly easy procedure?

Obviously will pay, as long as its reasonable.

Thanks again.

Replacing a head gasket is a piece of p*ss..But the problem is invaribly when you have blown a head gasket the head s often warped and might need skimming or a replacement head..Thats where the extra money cmes in...

Reaction score
check your local papers for adverts from those offering cash for you car, ring them up & see what you get offered.:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You won't find a nationwide chain of garages offering economic repair services, least of all main dealers.

Find a good local small garage who deal in general auto repairs and get a quote. Ask friends and neighbours for recommendations.

If the engine's still running there's a good chance the head won't have warped, but can't be sure.

Then, depending on the repair quote, decide whether you'll get enough from a sale to pay for the repair and make a profit.

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
Thanks again.

The Gasket is either blown or it has not?

Ok a Ka in perfect condition 1997/8 is worth approx £350/400
If you head is warped cost for repare/replacement will be £200/250 but! What condition is your Ka in?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
itsme said:
The Gasket is either blown or it has not?

Ok a Ka in perfect condition 1997/8 is worth approx £350/400
If you head is warped cost for repare/replacement will be £200/250 but! What condition is your Ka in?

He doesn't know if the head is warped yet.

In an earlier post he said 3 out of 4 panels are good which probably means one isn't.

Assuming the head's not warped, repair will cost about £100.00 at my local garge, maybe £120.00, just for replacing gasket and based on two hours labour.

So, we're looking at a scruffy Ka with 70K on the clock - £250.00 tops my estimate.

So, imo, probably not worth the ag, phone the council and tell 'em to take it away, lol

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:

In an earlier post he said 3 out of 4 panels are good which probably means one isn't.

Assuming the head's not warped, repair will cost about £100.00 at my local garge, maybe £120.00, just for replacing gasket and based on two hours labour.

So, we're looking at a scruffy Ka with 70K on the clock - £250.00 tops my estimate.

So, imo, probably not worth the ag, phone the council and tell 'em to take it away, lol

What condition is your Ka in?
Meaning not very good is it!;)

£250.00 tops my estimate.
Umm £2.50 ah thats better:D

Joking aside its not worth the aggro really is it. Sell it as spares/breaking is the best bet that way no come backs;)

I know but 9 out of 10 times it would be. I worked on enough egines in my life to know the percentages of it being > ~~~~<:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
itsme said:
I know but 9 out of 10 times it would be. I worked on enough egines in my life to know the percentages of it being > ~~~~<:D

Aye, I'll concede that.

Funny thing, old motors. Everybody told me scrap yards are beggin' for scrap cars for the metal value. The reality is quite different, as I found out.

There again, I haven't seen a dumped motor round a back street for a good few years, that must tell us something.

Blown head gaskets, I've had two. 80's cavalier, the wifes, fixed that myself, twas pefect so head probably not warped.

In the early eighties I bought a 1951 Ford Anglia E494A 'Sit Up And Beg' cos I love old motors.

That blew a head gasket on me three times but it was so easy to replace on that sidevalve engine, I just done it each time, was actually surprised the gasket was still available.

In the end, I got some Hells Angel I knew with a motorcycle garage to sandblast the head for me then took it to a firm named Tiplers up the Old Kent Road (they're still there) to skim it.

From then on, it was perfect until I sold it and that small engine was actually a little pokier, increased compression.

There comes a time, when something dies, be it your car, printer, washing machine, whatever, where you just have to accept the loss and let it go.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Well from other dealers and private adverts, the same spec car in about the same condition are selling for upto £800, normally around £650.

The one panel that isn't perfect has a dent the size of a dinner plate in it.

Apart from that its in fine cosmetic condition.

I will be going round some local repair garages to see if i can entice someone to come and look at the motor.

My dads mate is going to see tomorrow morning if the gasket is totally gone and he reckons about £300 to fix, so £300 to fix it will at least £600 for sale.

Thanks for all the help, should have it sorted.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi,

Many many thanks for all the input and suggestions.

Sold lasdt night on my brothers eBay account for £310, is getting collected tomorrow.

Well at least i have recouped some of the near £5000 my girlfiends new 206 has cost me.

As i said that will go towards my new PC build, should by me an X58 Mobo & RAM.

Reaction score
Waynos_Face said:
Sold lasdt night on my brothers eBay account for £310, is getting collected tomorrow.

You are lucky that is a very good price.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi,

Yeah i didn't get any repairs done.

We had 3 car mechanics come and look at it over the 10 days and all were impressed at how good nic its in for its age.

One was really honest and said that to a skilled mechanic its a saturday afternoon job to replace the gasket and skim it and if he has the tools and pays trade price it will cost him £30 to make at least a good £500 profit.

Not bothered how much profit is made just glad we got something for it.