Car running costs?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Hehe, showoff ;)
Nahhhh.... not at all, honest. I mean, come on, this motor's twenty years old.

But I've always wanted one. And I prefer the old shape. It's really not practical for what I use it for, but I don't care. I like it.

But the parts are really, really, expensive.

Lemme see, before this, last cars were: Honda Accord, Vauxhall Cavalier; Volvo Estate and a Citroen Diesel BX Estate. Out of that lot, I loved the Volvo, the rest weren't all that good, in my humble opinion ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
My Dad has had his Cavalier for so long now, I don't think its going to last much longer! I'm trying to convince him to get a new one :)

Which type of Merc is it?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Here we go, this was at Brighton about 10 days ago.

It's a 280SE, South African import, long wheelbase.

It wouldn't normally be my first choice of colour, but I've kinda got to like it now.

merc01.jpg

merc02.jpg

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
KGB

I'm NOT the kind of person that would stick a HUGE exhaust system on it, shove neons under it, replace the back seats with 4 foot subwoofers and fit a stereo thats worth twice as much as the car, then cruise around aimlessly in my spare time with a 12 year old girlfriend trying to drag race volvo estates from traffic lights on a dual carriageway...

I'll use a car to get from A-B and take myself and friends to college... I'll only "Upgrade" it if it would benefit me in any way or save me money.

Chris :D

lovely lovely i think u have definetly hit the nail on the head with your use of words here
very well typed!

:)

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
First Driving lesson today! Apparently 40 hours are "planned" from the AA course - sounds like quite a bit!

Think I did pretty well, got into 3rd gear and drove around some normal roads with a few roundabouts, traffic lights and junctions! It was pretty fun, but I don't like having to wait so long for each lesson!

good to hear u have had ur first lesson i remember my one, I was so tense, found it hard to relax!!!

40 hours- thats what DSA reccomends that one should have at least 40 hours of driivng practice, sometimes 40 hours is too much though.

what do u mean by u have to wait so long for each lesson? are they a week apart? or something?

well good luck

Reaction score
Flops, i hope you don't drive around with those stickers on the number plate!

You not wan't people here to know your registration?

KGB

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
psd99 said:
what do u mean by u have to wait so long for each lesson? are they a week apart? or something?
Yup, they are about a week apart. Seems about right though if I think about it :)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Im 17 going on 18 been looking for a car for a while now... finally saved up some cash for a
2001 Toyota Celica, it going to be around $11,000. i have been saving up for a few years but i think its a good investment. Can yall do a search on it and tell me what you think?:)

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
KGB-911 said:
Flops, i hope you don't drive around with those stickers on the number plate!

You not wan't people here to know your registration?

KGB
I noticed most people block their number plates when posting pix of their wheels on the Net, there's a lot of nutters out there and it's just possible some loon may trace my address from my vehicle registration.

Although as far as I'm aware, only Police Officers, Customs Officers, certain Civil Servants such as MI5 and DVLA employees have the ability to trace an address from a number plate.

So I don't take no chances ;)

Alf: In my opinion, Toyota make good cars. The Celicia is good :)

Reaction score
It will be a US version though as opposed to a UK version, they will be different, mainly the steering wheel on the wrong side :)

Cheers PSD. :D

Ian, do you not think the Ka is not a ladies vehicle? Wouldnt a clio be better?

Reaction score
Can't you get a Mazda RX-8 (21 grand) or the MX-5 (what my dad drives) those are really nice cars!!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Ian, do you not think the Ka is not a ladies vehicle? Wouldnt a clio be better?
Paaaaaah.....stuff and nonsense! Complete piffle :mad:

The Ka ain't no Girlie motor, if anything, the Clio is, didn't Renault have an advertising campaign with some feisty french bird named Nicole or something?

Now that proves the Clio is for the female of the species :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I dont think the Ka is a ladies vehicle, the fact it matches my pink handbag is simply co-incidental ;)

KGB, I'd love to get a Mazda - unfortunately that costs more money than I have ever owned in my entire life ;) Perhaps in a few years!!!

Had lesson 2 today, driving round Oxford Road and Rusholme was fun!

Reaction score
Need to save up a bit then Ian... You play the lottery?

Glad you are enjoying the lessons!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
KGB-911 said:
What does Bex think of your handbag?
Don't worry, I was only joking ;) I do end up holding her handbag if she tries something on whilst shopping, I have to look round and make sure everyone knows I'm not enjoying the experience in a typical manly fashion ;)

Ask a Question