Fixing dents on a car door at home

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've just got back from the shops and it looks like someone has slammed their car door in to the side of mine and left a dent. So annoying as I only got back from the garage yesterday from an MOT and repair!

The dent isn't huge, but it's very noticeable when the light hits it, so I want to get it fixed if it's not crazy expensive. It's about 1.5 inches long, here's a photo (doesn't look as bad here):

IMG_20200313_103652.jpg

Has anyone tried pulling dents out at home? It's got a definite "line" where something has hit it, it's not just a smooth dent.

I was looking at getting a kit like this and trying it myself:

Anyone got thoughts on this?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
My daughter bought a Dent-Puller after she suspected that her car roof had been walked on. It made a slight difference only. They are really only effective on fairly big and particularly round dents when you can sometimes "pop" the dent out.

TBH, Ian, I can't see you getting that shaped dent out yourself. If the paint isn't broken I would just leave it until you need something else doing. But, of course, you may be one of those people who just can't bear to see it every day. ;)

Reaction score
Leave it mate. Getting a dent puller or something else on it is a big job if done properly
It would mean filling, sanding, filling, sanding, undercoating, painting, laquer. expensive

Unless you have something phalic with a good suction cup at the end :D
There is a good clip on youtube how to use one of the suction cup thingies

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
People are ********.

I'd say leave it, for now. Annoying as it is. I have no idea how good those kits are.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
A suction puller will never get that dent out as it has a straight line in the crease. Only way to make it look right is to have the dent filled and respray the whole panel.

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago except I ended up with two score lines along one door. Annoying to say the least but repairing under insurance will hike up your premiums for years.

:mad:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, I was about to pull the trigger on this, but I'll leave well alone!

I'll see how much it annoys me, then in a few months maybe I'll get it professionally done.

Reaction score
A PDR paintless dent repair may well sort this out,parking dings are a pet hate of mine sorry you encountered this.

Ask a Question