Are push mowers any good?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Another random question :D

At the moment, I've got an old electric cylinder mower which we use to cut our grass - however the area of grass that we've got is about 7x7m, so not a huge area. Half of the time seems to be setting up the mower (which is in need of repair).

I spotted some push cylinder mowers (this one stood out - Qualcast Panther 30) and it looked like it would do the job almost as fast, but without needing to fuss about with cables.

Has anyone got a push mower and do they work well?

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Dad used to use one ofthose type years ago and they do a brilliant job

Kept the grass lawn like a bowling green and was far better than any electric or engine mower, brilliant if you have just a small lawn and mow it regularly, not so good if you let it grow to long though as then it becomes seriously hard work!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback crazylegs :). That's what I'm after, something I can quickly nip out and use so that it never gets too long (and a pain to cut) - just 20 mins a week to keep on top of.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Can also vouch they're fine, I had one for a while at a flat with a small lawn, it done a brilliant job. Keeps you fit too. Oh, that was a Qualcast too.

I was once walking past a large green area in Eltham containing 2 football pitches and 2 rugby pitches and saw one man mowing one of the pitches with a hand mower. Well, this gave me a bit of a smile and I thought he may get that finished by Christmas, he caught me looking at him and gave me a smile, as if to ackowledge his endless task, perhaps a little like painting the Forth Bridge.

On future occasions I sometimes caught him back there again, mowing the pitches with a hand mower. Not quite sure what that says but it's probably a thumbs up for hand mowers.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I've had a hand mower, it was a heavy beast, once you got it going it was great, never had anything better at cutting the grass.

:)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks folks :). Went for the Qualcast 380 from Argos - just done the lawn now and I'm knackered!!! It was pretty long, so I'm hoping that it's a tad easier from now on :lol:.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
how to keep fit and have 'fun' doing it ... :lol:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I'm sure you'll be cutting a hole in it and using it as a putting green very soon Ian..:D lol

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
It was pretty long...

For future reference:

384px-Fotothek_df_pk_0000130_014.jpg

S-C-Y-T-H-E :fool:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
attachment.php

Is this what you need, Ian? :D

Attachments

• Grass.JPG
    Grass.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 230
Reaction score
My sister has the model you bought Ian.
Keep the grass low and it will work well.
Tall grass as you found out will knacker you & the mower!
But at least you get a good cv workout & for free!:thumb:

Ask a Question