We had a Fire!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I was 'rescued' by the fire brigade yesterday late afternoon.

I was awoken from my afternoon kip by banging from the flat below. I at first thought it was the young chap come home as he cannot shut ANY door without slamming it. The banging continued so I got up to see what the hell was going on!

On opening my door I was met with a wall of thick smoke ... oh flippin' heck!

I shouted some sort of obscenity and a fireman responded that he would be with me shortly, and, where was I ... I was led down the stairs by two firemen in full breathing gear and I could barely see anything in front of me never mind see the fire hoses I was stumbling over. A lot of smoke for small? fire.

I was taken to hospital for a check up. No problems, and a good job me brother was home to came and take me home. By this time everyone else, apart from Mike, were in their flats. I was the only one in at the time of the fire.

Mike, in #3, went out and apparently left a lit cigarette behind, that's what the fire chief told the landlord, thought the guy had given it up long ago. :(

now I'm washing cloths for the next week ... anyone know how to get rid of the smell of smoke in the flat, I'd love to know!

oh, and don't tell anyone that it was me that took the dying battery out of the fire alarm to stop it beeping and never replaced it. :eek: :blush:

Yes, I will get a new battery! :rolleyes:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Jeepers Mucks...! What a horrible - not to say terrifying - experience that must have been for you. I'm glad the Fire Service guys were on the scene so promptly to assist and rescue you. :nod:

As for the remaining smokey smell... as you might know, white vinegar is pretty good at neutralising odours; yeah, you will probably crave fish and chips for a while after using it... However, the vinegar smell will diminish fairly quickly. (I use it quite a lot for cleaning various surfaces, usually diluted, and squirted from one of those trigger-spray bottles.)

Hope you are feeling okay after that ordeal, and very glad to hear that you weren't badly hurt. :thumb:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Baking Soda in bowls around the place, vinegar for anything you can wipe down, shampoo the carpets, and lots of fresh air (although not quite the right time of year for leaving your windows wide open).

Glad you got out of it OK, Mucks. :)

Reaction score
Glad to hear your ok Mucks.:thumb:
And get a new battery for the smoke alarm TODAY!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That was a little too close for call! Makes me glad for things like fire detectors (when they have batteries in :eek:).

Glad you're ok Mucks, that doesn't sound like a fun day.

Was there any physical damage caused to your flat from the smoke, or was it limited to the smell of on things?

Reaction score
Know what to use on a fire!
fire-extinguisher-chart_1_6m99b2vv.png

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Ian, no damage, just smoke smell.

Feckit, nice picture of fire extinguishers ... if you are not the one who started the fire, how would you know which one to use? ... just call the fire brigade. :D

I did get to see the flat in question this morning ... Mike was there trying to clean up some of his stuff.

The fire started and was confined to a small area of the kitchen, it was, however, being fuelled by plastic and cardboard waste that was due to be put in the newish brown recycle bins we have. It would have gone in that day but Mike had noticed, as he has a front flat, that the said recycle bin was, err, gone ... this was one of the large huge industrial size bins.

Who the feck stole our bin. It's all their fault!! :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the well wishes, just another day in life. :)

The fire alarm has new batteries. :D

Reaction score
Seeing that you have had this incident perhaps it might be a idea if you could get the landlord to fit fire alarms that are powered by the electric mains. Having served as a professional fireman for 15 years I know how you must feel, when the fire is out they go back to their station job done, but for those left behind there is a worry about it happening again. I am glad you are OK just a bit shocked I would expect. Good luck with the clearing up and getting rid of the smoke smell, but the main thing you are OK.

Ask a Question