Galaxy lost in cloud of steam !!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Darn aint it typical only day I leave me camera at home an me good ol Galaxy blows up. Clouds of smoke and steam , two police sharks. fire brigade and finally the AA. No pics I'm well peed of.
Seems the turbo went wonky as the poor ol girl reved herself to death, pulled the key out to stop the engine and it just kept going.

So anyone got a spare 1900 90 hp diesel engine in a cupboard. Or a decent diesel Galaxy for not very much money. Or a rggedy arsed Galaxy with a decent engine same as mine.

nod.gif

Reaction score
Do you have the equivalent of irelands buy and sell int UK lad??
I reckon ya might pick one up well cheap cos of the recession and all. I hear the momo trade isreally taking a beating and the sales people cant give their cars away...i will have a scan forya.
Zzzzz

Reaction score

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Aww, I'm sorry to hear that Abarbarian, it's sad news, that motor has given you good service, I believe? RIP AB's Galaxy :(

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Thanks zed and Taffycat.

At least it is summer and I can ride me motorcycle in the sun.

nod.gif

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that matey:( Damn those bloody turbo`sthere is nowt you can do when that happens revs the beast to death you would think it would stop when ignition is OFF but nope it just keeps going.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
itsme said:
Have you sorted it yet?

Nope.

I had a couple of folk look at it but it looks like pot 4 is damaged an the head is probably damaged ie: valves etc. So with cost of gaskets and valves etc along with labour it wasn't even an option.

I could have put some spannering hours in to make sure but took the decision too call it a scrapper as it had 315,000 miles on the clock. I have the reconditioned gearbox, new clutch and a few other high value spares to salvage and 2 brand new high quality tyres and two very good condition tyres to keep. It had a lot of other newish parts, water pump, starter, alternator, new, rear discs and pads, ball joints, them front wishbone thingys( forgoten the correct name) along with the fact that every thing else worked ok.

So bearing the above in mind I decided to buy another Galaxy confident that I had a good stock of spares to refurbish or replace if needed.

So I bought one. Swaped a few bits and everything look good.

Then the head of the bolt holding the timing belt crankshaft pulley sheared and the engine stopped, it was just ticking over at the time. So the probability is that the block is ok but some damge will have been done to the internals on the head. Technicaly savable and I could do all the work except finnal timing. However it is a lot of work and could cost £100 to £150 ish so I don't quite know what to do as it is a bit rough in places.

New Galaxy is a Giha with all the trimmings and only cost £750 so the idea was to run it and earn some loot and keep on tarting it up bit by bit. I had already put some new plates on it to make it look better, it is amazing what a new set of plates can do for the look of a car.

I'm gutted and have not got me head around what to do next..

Been working on me posh pc, got XP set up and several games installed and Acronis. Next step is Mandriva install and bonking. Then it is time to buuild me wooden case, I have almost got the cardboard testing case working as I want. Seems that fan placement and ducting is working so I'll get the saw , glue and sander out and build it. Just have to get a couple of pallets with nice looking planks and I'm set. Mind you I might struggle to get the plallets home on me motorcycle.
laughingsmiley.gif

Back to the car Q. I'm thinking of stripping and selling all the expensive bits of and scraping the carcases. That should if I'm lucky raise me a reasonable amount of loot. Still baffled as what to buy next. I been spolit driving the Galaxy. So do I try to get another, one of the more economical engined ones. Or do I go for an ordinary 5 door good mpg car. Or do I stick me neck out and try for a brand new motor.

The local Pug garage has high spec 306's at £7.999 thats a £8.000 discount of the RRP.

I need a lottery win I think. :D

If you come across a diesel Galaxy with say 75,000 to 150,000 miles on the clock(would have to have had a very recent timing belt) cheapish then give us a nod. Interior would have to be v.good but roughish body work ie: paint work I can sort no problem thats if I ai'nt lost me touch with a sprayer as me mate will let me use his garage and kit. :D

Ta for the concern by the way.

user.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Damn Abarb, you ain't having a lot of luck are you? :(

Sorry to hear of your troubles and hope you sort something out soon.

On Monday I'm having the damage on my Peugeot 406 Estate assessed. And then again on Wednesday :confused:

Insurance company's right hand doesn't know what it's left hand is doing...

I'm hoping that it will be written off in category C, I get a payout and they let me buy it back at a reasonable cost cos there's nothing wrong with it apart from a little denting which my friend and I are confident we can sort out and make it look a lot better.

We shall see.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Cheers bud. The MOT man for me cycle did let me off with not having to get a new front disc at a cost of £80 ish. Was just a couple of mm too thin and a tad rough, but he knows I don't ride like a loony and I will get it fixed sharpish when I get sorted. Good job I had a bun and tea with him before he did the MOT and he is a tyke aswell.
will Keep me fingers crossed fro you on Monday
nod.gif
and Wednessday
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
Hi Lads,
AB, you should hang in there with the Galaxy after all the toil you went through man.....i get the feeling you really liked it and they are better than the average car. You will eventually get to the end of it all and then you'll be a happy camper.
Flops as far as i know if its gonna cost them more to fix your car than its actually worth then its a right off. You should be able to keep it as they will see it as scrap from then on and wont want it. My car was written off last year and its back on the road and i made a profit.....i hope you's both get your motors sorted as it can really put out when youre used to having wheels. I'll say a prayer for ya's.
Zzzzz

Reaction score
If you come across a diesel Galaxy with say 75,000 to 150,000 miles on the clock(would have to have had a very recent timing belt) cheapish then give us a nod. Interior would have to be v.good but roughish body work ie: paint work I can sort no problem thats if I ai'nt lost me touch with a sprayer as me mate will let me use his garage and kit

Well I must confess I ain`t had much luck with mine either?

First thing I always do to a purchased car is fit a NEW timing belt/pulley which I did to the present one,[even if it is said to have had a new one fitted]

Since having purchased it [mind you I am fussy] I have spent almost 1K on bits and bobs, one problem I still have to sort is over-boost of the turbo once that is done I may possibly sell the galaxy Ghia as the Mk 2 is not as good a layout as the Mk1.

I have gone off the Ford galaxy range of late, as the cost of parts is WOTT. Unless I buy from VW as they are a lot cheaper for the same components?

Mine having done 200K is in very good/excellent condition interior/exterior.

But with cars coming down in price each week makes me think do I change or keep?

Wishbone bushes is what you changed, done both mine last week there are one at the front of the Wishbone and one at the rear with them worn you are likely to have the wheel hit the arch when braking hard.

I will let you know about a Galaxy tomorrow...

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Aye I remember you said it was in not bad nick an had dvd players in the headrests. What on earth did you spend 1K on !
Wishbones thems the fellas. Did not bother replaceing bushes as they are a power push fit so just swapped the whole thing, cost around £40 each from a factors.
Ford parts for them are spensive but you can get a lot of stuff from factors at a fraction of the cost, ie: inlet valve at Ford £30, factor price £9.

I.m going to try me luck at selling them complete on E-Bay as both have a load of good parts on em and can be towed with a ridgid bar. It don't cost a great deal and I might get a bite at a reasonable price. That would save me having to do a lot of work.

Now you have done all the work I'd be tempted to keep it for a while, better the devil you know an all that.

nod.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Aye I remember you said it was in not bad nick an had dvd players in the headrests. What on earth did you spend 1K on !
Wishbones thems the fellas. Did not bother replaceing bushes as they are a power push fit so just swapped the whole thing, cost around £40 each from a factors.
Ford parts for them are spensive but you can get a lot of stuff from factors at a fraction of the cost, ie: inlet valve at Ford £30, factor price £9.

I.m going to try me luck at selling them complete on E-Bay as both have a load of good parts on em and can be towed with a ridgid bar. It don't cost a great deal and I might get a bite at a reasonable price. That would save me having to do a lot of work.

Now you have done all the work I'd be tempted to keep it for a while, better the devil you know an all that.

nod.gif
Wishbone x2, track-rod end x2=£220, drive shaft x2=£260, upper mount rubbers x2=£60, bottom ball joints x2=£60, discs and pads x4=£280, timing belt pulley=£140, MAF sensor£110,

Oil + oil/air/fuel filters=£90, wiper blades x3=£28,
And I ain`t finished yet:bow: Have had a look for a Gal engine but! the guys I know don`t get a lot of 90bhp ones and if they do they are on the last legs, why not see if a 115bhp engine will fit I can`t see much difference myself and you will have a lot more power? But it is a case of getting one at the right price?

PS the DVD player has given up it is Visteon MB8000 [Crap] so I am looking for an altenative??:rolleyes:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Aye the costs do mount up. Hope all them prices include fitting. Looked into fitting a engine and the labour alone would be quite a lot. I don't fancy a unknown second hand engine and a re-con is over £1,000. As both Galaxys are over 12 years old it just don't make sense to even try.
It will cost me £24 to put the complete cars on E-Bay with Final Fee if they sell so I'm going to do that as soon as I can get some photos done, have to wait for a break in the rain though.
If they do not sell I'll butcher them and sell the parts.
Thanks for asking your mates by the way.

:D
nod.gif

Reaction score
Yep fitting included.

unless you get a good price on Ebay break them up and sell the parts you may get a lot more that way but then there is the stripping down to do?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
He he sold one of me scrap Galaxys for £350 less fees but I got a half price listing. Don't you just love E-Bay
bowdown.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
He he sold one of me scrap Galaxys for £350 less fees but I got a half price listing. Don't you just love E-Bay
bowdown.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

Good on you matey:nod: :thumb: thats the way to do it....

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Just sold the battery of me other scrap Galaxy for £15 to me landlord an I think that the folk buying me other blue Galaxy are going to have the silver one for £200 with no e-bay fees.
Where theres muck theres brass. :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
The folks who bought me blue Galaxy also bought me silver one for £200 so I'm a happy chappy. Now what can I buy next ?

:D