Car running costs?

Reaction score
I just saw one of these cars in lime green, it was a RELIANT ROBIN S.L.X. T REG 1999.

I know taste differs from place to place, but PLEASE TELL ME THAT IS NOT A HOT CAR. I like the fact that you don't need a proper drivers license and that you can get 60 miles to the gallon, but I don't think I could drive it.

Reaction score
Raje said:
I know taste differs from place to place, but PLEASE TELL ME THAT IS NOT A HOT CAR. I like the fact that you don't need a proper drivers license and that you can get 60 miles to the gallon, but I don't think I could drive it.

course it not hot

it is quite simply VINTAGE!!

and Vintage is good!

Reaction score
That TIT's one wont be real...

How about this for a hot car then...:p

attachment.php

Her new shoes fit quite nicely...

Fox 3 Evo 16" rims with a full set of "Hankook Ventus K102 V rated (150mph)" tyres - which are £70 each fitted. Thing is, i only paid £359.99 for the rims and tyres!

This is a photo of it before...

attachment.php

Alloys make my car look so much nicer!!

Attachments

• DSC00254.JPG
    DSC00254.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 333
  • No Plates.JPG
    No Plates.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 198
Reaction score
Lots of replies and a quick skim through them suggests that they could be published as a book on comprehensive car care! Make sure you copyright this thread:D

Just to make sure my two-penneth is in there:

One of the best things i ever did was to find a garage that I trust. Lots of the high costs associated with running a car are down to bad advice about what needs doing and when...and it's the labour cost that pushes the price up. Foreign cars can have particular fitment requirements that can mean a small component can cost a lot more than the equivalent for say your bog standard Ford or Vauxhall (OK, I know they're technically foreign too, but I'm sure you get the point - suppliers and parts are much more readily available).

I buy Citroen. Not the greatest cars in the world, but I like 'em and I got my first with a free years insurance. After 12 months of claim-free driving, they then got me a full 65% no claims bonus. Look out for these kinds of deals - especially at your age as the insurance will be a real ******* to pay.

Then I got a really good trade in with the garage I bought it from. Over a few years i established a good relartionship with the garage and i've kept going back. Familiarity has paid off in terms of lower costs and 'honest' advice.

Look for the lowest emission cars you can. My Citroen C5 is a 2 litre deisel engine, but it's a special type called HDi that qualifies for the lowest road tax as it's almost zero emissions. Deisel also gives you much better mileage...probably the one thing that hits your wallet. Buy a cheap car that only does 30 to the gallon and you'll be sorry. Remember too that if you will be using your car as a runabout in a town environment most of the time, that will use up fuel more quickly than longer open road journeys.

Some people swear by cars that hold their value better like Volkswagon. Audi etc. However, these are more exopensive to buy and maintain, and if you I reckon can be a false economy if you work out all the costs over a few years.

If you want a small runabout for Manchester-type driving, I'd look for a something like a deisel Ford Fiesta. The Ka is ok, but the Fiesta is much better bang for your buck and safer too. And remember that cars become subject to MOT at 3 years. Also, don't forget things like parking costs, parking fines and speeding tickets - all too easy to get hit by a sudden additional bill, or ripped off when parking in a city centre.

God, there's loads more, but I'm sure I'm repeating what others have said.

Good luck!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
You dont need a proper license to drive a plastic pig? hows that work?

As dem monstrosities only have 3 wheels, they're classified as a motorcycle, or more acurately a motorcycle and sidecar.

So you only need a motor cycle licence to drive one, if 'drive' is the right word, lol ;)

Strange but true :eek:

I've had a full motorcycle licence since I was 16, but I'd never, ever, consider owning a three wheeler. Unless maybe it was a 1954 Morgan or summat.

Having a full bike licence also means I can jump on a Harley or sports bike right now and ride it legally, which considering I haven't ridden a motorcycle regularly since '79, is kinda crazy.

I'd probably kill meself :D

Reaction score
looks nice postill

whats next?

good body kit?
thumping sound?
and some neons to finish the job off?

Reaction score
sweet!

I wanted a defender, but a 1980's one was £2000+ which was more than i could afford.

Still... I love my 306

Ask a Question