Proposed Pricelessware web site

Nicolaas Hawkins

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 21:14:02 +0100, Steven Burn wrote...

It was taken around the same time as Genna took the .org variety. The
.com and another (I forget) were also taken, all by a guy in Canada.
Perhaps he is simply biding his time for a recent event such as this?!!

Or bugger-mindedness, simply to prevent the names/domains being used.
Some people are like that - sad individuals, really. Probably kicking
himself all around the parade ground that Genna beat him to the .ORG
domain.

Nicolaas.

Distribution site for 2004 Pricelessware CD.
E-Mail me for details. (e-mail address removed)

- "We can all be mistaken!", said the Dalek (climbing off the dustbin)

Dewey Edwards

And I hope they don't.
Just one quick comment. I do not want to own or co-own the domain name.
AFAIK there is no need for that. Some *other* volunteer(s) should own
the domain name.

Susan

If they own it, you have the same problem. You do not have the total
control you demand. Unless of course, your unweaned sycophants will
be the volunteers.

Semolina Pilchard

I don't think acf.pricelessware.org can be used unless the site is a sub-
domain of the current site. The dot would need to be a - or _
acf-pricelessware.org
acf_pricelessware.org
or
pricelessware-acf.org

OK. I've adjusted the lists again to reflect that.

---------------

PROPOSED

acfware.org
acfPricelessWare.org
acfpw.org
acf-pricelessware.org
acf_pricelessware.org
pricelessware-acf.org
---------------

NOT AVAILABLE

acf.org
PricelessWare.net

Jack D. Russell, Sr.

* Reply by Jack D. Russell, Sr. <[email protected]>
* Newsgroup: alt.comp.freeware
* Reply to: All; "Semolina Pilchard" <[email protected]>
* Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 08:21:58 +0100
* Subj: Re: Proposed Pricelessware web site

SP> OK. I've adjusted the lists again to reflect that.

SP> ---------------

SP> PROPOSED

SP> acfware.org
SP> acfPricelessWare.org
SP> acfpw.org
SP> acf-pricelessware.org
SP> acf_pricelessware.org
SP> pricelessware-acf.org
SP> ---------------

SP> NOT AVAILABLE

SP> acf.org
SP> PricelessWare.net

SP> ---------------
SP> --
SP> Semolina Pilchard

AFAIK,
i'll_hold_my_breath_until_i_turn_blue_if_i_dont_get_my_way_Pricelesswa
re.org,.net,.com,.etc are still available.
Or...my_way_or_the_highway_Pricelessware. org. Perhaps you could add
them.

Retiredff

Mister said:
There is an American Chestnut Foundation???!!!

;-)

Sure! Trying to get the American Chestnut back after it was all but killed
off by the blight.

*ProteanThread*

REM said:
I will chip in for whatever the cost is. A site collectively owned by
ACF participants would seem to cut off any future problems I hope.

doesn't that defeat the purpose and spirit of alt.comp.freeware ? Or does
it add more to the control freakery of a select few who think they can
dictate ? why not let SoS and Genna figure something out ? heck, while
were at it, lets start paying these freeware authors for their time and
money they have put in to give us freeware. thx, you've finally proven Vic
and Andy right.
If Geena and SOS continue the current site I suggest mutual links and
another freeware site, such as ACF*, be started. The dust will
eventually settle and I'm sure there will be a decision at some point.
It's probably impossible currently to make such a decision.

the damage has been done, they will probably never be anything ever agreed
upon.
I don't think it right to ask or expect the domain to be turned over.

and why not? you expect people to now pay for a website they can't control.
doesn't even that go against the acf faq?
The main point is that either or both sites have the backing of the
members here. I think the support is present, however this plays out.

Support for which site ? Genna's or Susans? no one is against Susan, just
the idea of moving. if she chooses to move and start a new site, then she
simply can't call it pricelessware as that's that. not only would it
amount to confusion, but it would more or less prove that anything voted on
in this group is not on solid ground or set in stone; anything new on the PL
list would be meaningless as well as the FAQ.
The quicker the better. Is anyone else interersted in chipping in for
a member owned domain? The amount is unimportant. What is important is
that it be member owned in my opinion, by as many participants as is
possible.

how much and how often are "dontations" expected ? what happens when
donations run out ? do we now have to pay to read / post messages on acf
just to pay for a website ?

this soap opera is over, man. give it a rest.

--

Woodzy

http://www.rtdos.com (alt OS for games based on the classics)
http://rtdos.com/debate (charged political discussion)
http://rtdos.com/forum (rtdos message boards)
http://rtdos.com/rtdos (rtdos active developer chat)

http://rtdos.com/chat
Chats scheduled every Thursday @ 7PM MDT (0100 GMT) and
every Sunday @ 1PM MDT (1900 GMT)

*ProteanThread*

Jack D. Russell said:
AFAIK,
i'll_hold_my_breath_until_i_turn_blue_if_i_dont_get_my_way_Pricelesswa
re.org,.net,.com,.etc are still available.
Or...my_way_or_the_highway_Pricelessware. org. Perhaps you could add
them.

*ROFLMAO*

juzme

If we go ahead with this then I'd prefer acf.pricelessware.org, too, and
would chip in a copper or two. juzme

REM

"*ProteanThread*" <sysop at village council dot net> wrote:
doesn't that defeat the purpose and spirit of alt.comp.freeware ?

In what way? It costs money. To avoid a similar problem in the future
it is best that a group of people from this group who collectively own
the domain and the site.
Or does it add more to the control freakery of a select few who think they can
dictate ?

I don't think that you comprehended what you've read so far...
why not let SoS and Genna figure something out ?

You provide your own answer right after asking this:
the damage has been done, they will probably never be anything ever agreed
upon.

Conflicting your own words within a few sentences is not a good sign.

You are aware of what you are typing?
heck, while were at it, lets start paying these freeware authors for their time and
money they have put in to give us freeware. thx, you've finally proven Vic
and Andy right.

Evidently not.

the damage has been done, they will probably never be anything ever agreed
upon.

So you have said. Mind if we give it a try?
and why not? you expect people to now pay for a website they can't control.
doesn't even that go against the acf faq?

What in the heck are you talking about? What do you suggest? Piracy on
the info-highway? Send a boarding party to take control?

You really need to think about what you post.
Support for which site ? Genna's or Susans?

also needs some attention.
no one is against Susan, just the idea of moving. if she chooses to move
and start a new site, then she simply can't call it pricelessware as that's that.

I proposed the move to end this debate. That is, grab a site and get
it going for the sake of all involved. There are other threads in
which possible domains are being suggested. The move seems inevitable
to me at this point. If the proposal is unacceptable to others then
that's the way it goes.

That's that? You getting huffy on me? <G>

More conflict. You say it cannot be called,"pricelessware as that's
that," yet you are for some reason griping because an alternative
domain is being discussed? So, which is it? Are you voting for
everything again?

not only would it amount to confusion,

From a good source...
but it would more or less prove that anything voted on
in this group is not on solid ground or set in stone; anything new on the PL
list would be meaningless as well as the FAQ.

To you? Probably. In this particular case an individual owns the site
and domain. A newsgroup vote does not overrule private ownership.
That is the point of a group owned site, Einstein.

This is the most intriguing volunteer project I've ever witnessed. I'd
like to see it continue, even if two sites are the result. Everything
that has occurred on the PL site since I checked in has been the
result of reader input.

The Frequently Asked Questions were written as guidelines by
individuals. I don't think it applies here.
how much and how often are "dontations" expected ?

The cost looks to be from $5 per month to $7 per month.
what happens when donations run out ?

I'll cover the portion above donations and disassociate myself from
the site completely. It is important that donations in some amount are
rendered, so that it is collectively owned though. I'd much rather be
one of many who chipped in, so that I could participate as one of
many.
do we now have to pay to read / post messages on acf
just to pay for a website ?

Yes, your bill is in the mail.

C'mon, wake up. Your logic is on a downward spiral.
this soap opera is over, man. give it a rest.

If you view the above true, why did you post this jumble of
gobbledly-gook? Some of us are trying to have a constructive
conversation... if you don't mind.

ImokUrok2

OK. I've adjusted the lists again to reflect that.
---------------

PROPOSED

acfware.org
acfPricelessWare.org
acfpw.org
acf-pricelessware.org
acf_pricelessware.org
pricelessware-acf.org
---------------

NOT AVAILABLE

acf.org
PricelessWare.net

How about something Susan said in another post.....

PricelessWareList (in .org/net/com/whatever domain)

HTH

Semolina Pilchard

On 29 Jun 2004 13:08:24 -0700, (e-mail address removed) (ImokUrok2) wrote:

PROPOSED

acfware.org
acfPricelessWare.org
acfpw.org
acf-pricelessware.org
acf_pricelessware.org
pricelessware-acf.org
PricelessWareList.org
PricelessWareList.net
PricelessWareList.com
---------------

NOT AVAILABLE

acf.org
PricelessWare.net
How about something Susan said in another post.....

PricelessWareList (in .org/net/com/whatever domain)

HTH

Thanks. I've added them to the list above.

Bjorn Simonsen

Ulrich Neumann wrote in said:
I like this one. Short and easy to remember.

Easy if you understand/remember what "acf" and "ware" stands for
in this context ...

I guess the shorthand "acf" is something only the regulars understand,
or anyone familier with Usenet and who understands that in the given
context "acf" is an abbreviation for a group name ...

how about:
alt-comp-freeware-list.org
best-of-alt-comp-freeware.org

or something like that...

"Pricelessware" is widely known today, but so is the group name.

The group name as part of the domain name might make it more intuitive
for new users, compared to "Pricelessware". At least it would make it
easier to connect the group and the site, to understand there is a
relationship ... For example, say you are not yet familiar with the
site (or the group) and someone passes you a link like
<http://www.pricelessware.org>, well then there is no way to tell from
the name what the site is about - it could be anything. But if
<http://www.alt-comp-freeware-list.org> or simply
<http://alt-comp-freeware-list.org> on the other hand ....

Although I guess <http://acf-freeware-list.org> would do OK as well,
or just <http://ac-freeware-list.org>, or maybe (at least the URL
explains the site is about freeware, what acf stands for the reader
will learn when boarding....)

For me personally, any name will do...just thinking that if I a name
change is required(*) ... then one might as well give some thought to
the issue - on how to make the name more intuitively reflect the
content of the site...

(* did anyone ask Genna R. and/or SOS about the domain name issue
directly?)

All the best,
Bjorn Simonsen

Rod

Bjorn said:
(* did anyone ask Genna R. and/or SOS about the domain name issue
directly?)
Very good question, did anyone even try to contact either of them about this
? It seems the logical thing to do. It would be strange that another long
thread started over these 'issues' if this hasn't been asked.

Rod

James

Semolina Pilchard said:
PROPOSED

acfware.org
acfPricelessWare.org
acfpw.org
acf-pricelessware.org
acf_pricelessware.org
pricelessware-acf.org
PricelessWareList.org
PricelessWareList.net
PricelessWareList.com
---------------

How about

PricelesswareHome.com/net/org
ThePricelesswareSite.com/net/org
PricelesswareSite.com/net/org

Henk de Jong

Rod wrote on 29-6-2004 :
Very good question, did anyone even try to contact either of them about this
? It seems the logical thing to do. It would be strange that another long
thread started over these 'issues' if this hasn't been asked.

Yes, this was already suggested at least two times. For some mysterious
reasons the initiators of this don't seem to want (or to dare) to ask
this.
At least, I haven't seen them doing this. I think that founding a new
site, without knowing if the 'old' one is available, is not very
productive.

By the way, sorry for responding to your message, I have to be in
<lurk> mode.

With kind regards,

--
Henk de Jong