{PL} Proposed Pricelessware 2004 CD

Susan Bugher

Proposed Pricelessware 2004 CD

The idea has been raised, SINNER has downloaded the programs. Now the
question is does ACF want to do it. I'm in favor. Here are my thoughts
and suggestions.

CONTENT

I think including a copy of the PL pages would be helpful to the
recipient of the CD, probably also an index of the included files and
versions. . .

I see some questionable areas with the programs. If the EULA prohibits
redistribution IMO the program should be omitted.

There are seven programs that require registration:

avast! (Liteware) (free for personal non-commercial use) (Registerware:
email, name, address, phone)

Speakonia (Freeware) (Registerware: name, email)

AVG Anti-Virus System (Liteware) (personal or non-commercial use only)
(unsupported) (Registerware: name, e-mail, address)

WS_FTP LE (Liteware) (free for educational users at degree-granting
institutions for academic purposes only) (unsupported) (Registerware:
name, email, educational institution info)

Calypso (Freeware) (last Freeware version) (unsupported) (Registerware:
name and email)

PowerDesk (Liteware) (Registerware: email) (Nagware)

Zoner Draw 3 (Earlier version of $ware) (Registerware: name/ email/ country)

Aida32 (Freeware) (Registerware: not required for personal use)

Clearly Aida32 is not a problem. ISTM that programs that require
registration *prior* to downloading should not be included on the CD.
WS_FTP LE for instance. If a registration code is required to *use* the
program and can be obtained by registering at the website I think the
program could be included.

--------------

MAKING THE CD, INITIAL DISTRIBUTION TO VOLUNTEERS

SINNER is going to send me his downloads. After the group agrees on the
content I could burn and send copies of the final CD to the first
several volunteers. Perhaps sort of a chain letter, those volunteers
could send copies to other volunteers . . .

FWIW I've never done a checksum, *but* - I know where to find help if
needed to figure it out . . . ;)

--------------

GENERAL DISTRIBUTION

FREE and KISS. I like the idea of people who want a CD sending a blank
CD and a stamped, self-addressed mailer to the volunteer who will burn
the CD.

I think it would be a good idea to keep distribution pretty much through
ACF to start with. I suggest this be done by posting a request with
means of contact so a volunteer can get in touch with you. Keeping it in
the newsgroup initially will give us a chance to see if there are
problems and besides . . .

I'd like to see regular participants get their CDs first ;)

The MAME group has a web page with unmunged email addresses for
volunteers in various countries. I'm leery of this . . . If the CD is a
rousing success and we want to add details to the web site perhaps the
volunteer's handle and country (state, province etc.) would be better.
Visitors to the web site could then post requests in ACF pinging the
appropriate person or persons. FYI - I do *not* want to handle requests
for CDs via the Pricelessware links button. . .

--------------

UPDATES

Once a year when the new list comes out? I think more frequent updates
might be too complicated.

--------------

Comments?

If you think a PW 2004 CD is a lousy idea, now's the time to say so.

If there are problems that haven't been considered or better ways to do
this *please* post.

and . . .

We need at least a handful of volunteers now - no point it creating a CD
if no one wants to help distribute it . . .

hmm, I see a couple of volunteers already:

Ben Cooper
burnr

Anyone else want to add their name to the list?

Susan

Keenan P.

Proposed Pricelessware 2004 CD
snip
MAKING THE CD, INITIAL DISTRIBUTION TO VOLUNTEERS

SINNER is going to send me his downloads. After the group agrees on the
content I could burn and send copies of the final CD to the first
snip

I suppose I could take care of Ontario, Canada burning,
POKO

--
P. Keenan - Webmaster
Web Page Design

Steven Burn

We need at least a handful of volunteers now - no point it creating a CD
if no one wants to help distribute it . . .

hmm, I see a couple of volunteers already:

Ben Cooper
burnr

Anyone else want to add their name to the list?
</snip>

I'll be happy to help :blush:) (I've only not mentioned it because I didn't think
it was "official" yet).

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

bambam

We need at least a handful of volunteers now - no point it
creating a CD if no one wants to help distribute it . . .

hmm, I see a couple of volunteers already:

Ben Cooper
burnr

Anyone else want to add their name to the list?

Count me in. :)
What a great idea, I'll be more than happy to help out.

Adrian Carter

We need at least a handful of volunteers now - no point it creating a CD
if no one wants to help distribute it . . .

hmm, I see a couple of volunteers already:

Ben Cooper
burnr

Anyone else want to add their name to the list?

OK, I'll burn a few.

Adrian Carter (Sydney, Australia)

Steve H

Proposed Pricelessware 2004 CD
--------------

Comments?

If you think a PW 2004 CD is a lousy idea, now's the time to say so.

Get's my support!
I don't have the necessary kit to duplicate CDs - but I'll be first in
line to avail myself of a copy from the UK distributor.

Henry The Mole

Hello, Susan!
You wrote on Mon, 26 Jan 2004 22:07:22 -0500:

SB> The idea has been raised, SINNER has downloaded the programs. Now
SB> the question is does ACF want to do it. I'm in favor. Here are my
SB> thoughts and suggestions.

Great idea! I'll be happy to burn it.
(Italy)

Steven Burn

Get's my support!
I don't have the necessary kit to duplicate CDs - but I'll be first in
line to avail myself of a copy from the UK distributor.
</snip>

hehe, you've just reminded me.... I'd forgotten to mention which country I'm
from ;o)

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

omega

Steven Burn said:
hehe, you've just reminded me.... I'd forgotten to mention which country I'm
from ;o)

Don't worry about it, Steve. I can bet that if the master detectives put
their heads together, they might find a clue. ;)

Steven Burn

REM said:
He lives on the world wide web?
</snip>

hehe, Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK to be precise (knew I'd remember eventually
<gg>)

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

Ben Cooper

Susan said:
Proposed Pricelessware 2004 CD

The idea has been raised, SINNER has downloaded the programs. Now the
question is does ACF want to do it. I'm in favor. Here are my thoughts
and suggestions.

CONTENT

I think including a copy of the PL pages would be helpful to the
recipient of the CD, probably also an index of the included files and
versions. . .

I see some questionable areas with the programs. If the EULA prohibits
redistribution IMO the program should be omitted.

I'd have no problem distributing the programs even if the EULA prohibits it.
However, if the general consensus is to leave those programs out, I'd go
along with that, too.
[...]

I have no problem with distributing every program that's listed on
Pricelessware, regardless of EULA or a registration prerequisite.
As I said above though, if the general consensus is to leave these out,
that's fine with me.
MAKING THE CD, INITIAL DISTRIBUTION TO VOLUNTEERS

SINNER is going to send me his downloads. After the group agrees on
the content I could burn and send copies of the final CD to the first
several volunteers. Perhaps sort of a chain letter, those volunteers
could send copies to other volunteers . . .
OK.

FWIW I've never done a checksum, *but* - I know where to find help if
needed to figure it out . . . ;)

--------------

GENERAL DISTRIBUTION

FREE and KISS. I like the idea of people who want a CD sending a blank
CD and a stamped, self-addressed mailer to the volunteer who will burn
the CD.

I think it would be a good idea to keep distribution pretty much
through ACF to start with. I suggest this be done by posting a
request with
means of contact so a volunteer can get in touch with you. Keeping it
in the newsgroup initially will give us a chance to see if there are
problems and besides . . .

I agree; the simpler the better.
I'd like to see regular participants get their CDs first ;)

The MAME group has a web page with unmunged email addresses for
volunteers in various countries. I'm leery of this . . . If the CD
is a rousing success and we want to add details to the web site
perhaps the volunteer's handle and country (state, province etc.)
would be better. Visitors to the web site could then post requests in
ACF pinging the appropriate person or persons. FYI - I do *not* want
to handle requests
for CDs via the Pricelessware links button. . .

I don't mind having an email address on a site. It just needs to be set up
so that when it's clicked it automatically adds a proper subject line. That
would make it easier to filter into the correct mail folder.
UPDATES

Once a year when the new list comes out? I think more frequent updates
might be too complicated.

I think once per year is enough. After the Pricelessware vote is counted and
the winners are announced.

[snip]

Steven Burn

Susan,
Hiya, can you ignore my offer of volunteering please?. After reading
a couple of the posts from people whom say they shall ignore the authors
licence's/EULA, I've decided I'd rather not be a part of it.

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

SINNER

* Steven Burn Wrote in alt.comp.freeware, on 2004-01-27:
Susan,
Hiya, can you ignore my offer of volunteering please?. After reading
a couple of the posts from people whom say they shall ignore the authors
licence's/EULA, I've decided I'd rather not be a part of it.

I have only seen one of those posts. Why not wait till the information
is finalized before finalizing your decision. If the general consensus
agrees with you (which they likely will) you pulled yourself out
unnecessarily.

At least one of the authors said no because I believe they think there
software is somehow being charged for, which is not the case. Personally
I cant understand an author denying distribution UNLESS the freeware
they offer is a way of introducing some payware, in which case they want
people to see their site and make a decison based on feature set.
Frankly I was surprised by Karenware's reaction.

omega

Steven Burn said:
Susan,
Hiya, can you ignore my offer of volunteering please?. After reading
a couple of the posts from people whom say they shall ignore the authors
licence's/EULA, I've decided I'd rather not be a part of it.

Steven, I'm sure the great majority here would be extremely uncomfortable
with the idea of a distribution that does not honor the licenses. In this,
I think even those of us who are not planning to aid distributing, we ought
to be able to voice a vote, if the Pricelessware name is to be connected.

Definitely I vote that nothing be included on the Priceleware CD which
violates an author's redistribution prohibitions.

omega

SINNER said:
At least one of the authors said no because I believe they think there
software is somehow being charged for, which is not the case. Personally
I cant understand an author denying distribution UNLESS the freeware
they offer is a way of introducing some payware, in which case they want
people to see their site and make a decison based on feature set.

The way of the world is that it's not what you just ask for, but how you
ask for it. So when this gets closer to endgame, it's possible it might
be determined as worth the effort for Susan or someone to contact certain
authors.

(The case of those developers who are worried about selling their payware
product. Well, it seems to me it could be in their interest to include
a description about the payware product bundled in the folder with the
freeware version. That's often been the reason I've bought software. After
liking a freeware for a while, then developing a craving for something more
developed from that same author. But, here I'm sort of going to far off on
a trivial tangent.)
Frankly I was surprised by Karenware's reaction.

You mean her reply: "Hi! Absolutely not." <G>

Steven Burn

omega said:
Steven, I'm sure the great majority here would be extremely uncomfortable
with the idea of a distribution that does not honor the licenses. In this,
I think even those of us who are not planning to aid distributing, we ought
to be able to voice a vote, if the Pricelessware name is to be connected.

Definitely I vote that nothing be included on the Priceleware CD which
violates an author's redistribution prohibitions.
</snip>

Karen,
My post was actually meant to be sent privately, I just hit the
wrong button :blush:\

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

Roger Spencelayh

We need at least a handful of volunteers now - no point it creating a CD
if no one wants to help distribute it . . .

If Steven Burn wants to share 'distribution rights' in the UK, I'll
volunteer.

Bjorn Abelli

omega wrote ...

Seconded!

Any compromising of the "Pricelessware" etiquette would render "the list" a
bad reputation as well.

Although I don't have the time to put into any active participation in the
matter of the CD, I think we who participated in the nominating and voting
for the list should express our opinions on this.

I've been lurking and delurking on and off since the late 90's, and my
feeling is that there has always been a strong opinion against warez, and a
violation of any redistribution policies would be a step in the wrong
direction.
My post was actually meant to be sent privately, I
just hit the wrong button :blush:\

Lucky you did, as it caused a greater attention to the subject!

// Bjorn A