Calypso - is there a still a last freeware version?

Susan Bugher

Program: Calypso
Author: Rose City Software

The web page is here:
http://www.rosecitysoftware.com/calypso/
but the download link isn't.

Other downloads links are available. . .
http://ftp.man.poznan.pl/pub/winsock-l/Windows95/Mail/calypso.exe
http://ftp.tuniv.szczecin.pl/pub/windows/Win95/winsock-l/Mail/calypso.exe

but. . .

Calypso has been *Registerware*. I believe Registration took place
during or after installation. I don't know if this app is *keyed* - *if*
it is keyed and *if* it can no longer be registered there is no usable
last freeware version.

Information please. . . TIA. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Ziggur

Program: Calypso
Author: Rose City Software

The web page is here:
http://www.rosecitysoftware.com/calypso/
but the download link isn't.

Other downloads links are available. . .
http://ftp.man.poznan.pl/pub/winsock-l/Windows95/Mail/calypso.exe
http://ftp.tuniv.szczecin.pl/pub/windows/Win95/winsock-l/Mail/calypso.exe

but. . .

Calypso has been *Registerware*. I believe Registration took place
during or after installation. I don't know if this app is *keyed* - *if*
it is keyed and *if* it can no longer be registered there is no usable
last freeware version.

Information please. . . TIA. . .

Susan

Try here Susan. The download seems to work.

http://www.rosecitysoftware.com/courier/faq/

I am using Version3.50.00 Build 1098

It is rebadged as "Courier". Free registration about 18/24
months ago.

Arne Anka

I alt.comp.freeware, sa Susan Bugher utan att tänka först:
Program: Calypso
Author: Rose City Software

The web page is here:
http://www.rosecitysoftware.com/calypso/
but the download link isn't.

but. . .

Calypso has been *Registerware*. I believe Registration took place
during or after installation. I don't know if this app is *keyed* -
*if* it is keyed and *if* it can no longer be registered there is no
usable last freeware version.

The last version of Calypso (3.30) was released as FreeWare by MCS Dallas
- without any registration process, what so ever. The updated version of
Calypso - Courier 3.5 - can (for a limited time) be registered for free,
for umlimited use.

<http://www.rosecitysoftware.com/Courier/>

If you need a version of Calypso 3.30 for the PW-page, send me a mail...

--
Arne Anka

Men det värsta är inte själva baksmällan,
den verkliga pärsen börjar när gårdagens
oundvikliga sanningar börjar rullas upp för en...

<http://starcruiser.dk/arne/>

Susan Bugher

Arne said:
I alt.comp.freeware, sa Susan Bugher utan att tänka först:

Link from another post: http://www.rosecitysoftware.com/courier/faq/

"When you register Courier, you will receive an email receipt which will
include your serial number to unlock the program past the 30 day trial
period."

I would guess the same applies to registering Calypso.

I don't want to show a "last freeware version" for Calypso on the ACF
pages if the file is *unusable* (keyed to an *unavailable* registration
number).
The last version of Calypso (3.30) was released as FreeWare by MCS Dallas
- without any registration process, what so ever.

Then the Calypso files below *may* not require registration. Could
someone please download one or both of these files and report back. Can
these Calypso files be installed and *used* or is there a registration
requirement that prevents that?

http://ftp.man.poznan.pl/pub/winsock-l/Windows95/Mail/calypso.exe
4027 KB
http://ftp.tuniv.szczecin.pl/pub/windows/Win95/winsock-l/Mail/calypso.exe
4027 KB

NOTE: Rose City's Calypso file is larger - probably due to their
registration requirement:
http://www.rosecitydownloads.com/calypso.exe
4226 KB

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Michael Rainey

Courier is an improvement over Calypso, but still works pretty much the same
way. In my opinion, there's no reason to get Calypso when you can get
Courier for free. I used Calypso for a couple years and loved it. I
installed Courier a few months ago, and love it even more.

Alain Beguin

Susan Bugher a écrit/wrote/schreef le/on/op 19/03/2006 H. Josef ;
Then the Calypso files below *may* not require registration. Could
someone please download one or both of these files and report back. Can
these Calypso files be installed and *used* or is there a registration
requirement that prevents that?

I did, no nags, no registration windows :)

I had some problems with Courier and using this Calypso now. Looks the
same as Courier but no problems for the moment.

Susan Bugher

Alain said:
Susan Bugher a écrit/wrote/schreef le/on/op 19/03/2006 H. Josef ;
http://ftp.man.poznan.pl/pub/winsock-l/Windows95/Mail/calypso.exe
http://ftp.tuniv.szczecin.pl/pub/windows/Win95/winsock-l/Mail/calypso.exe

I did, no nags, no registration windows :)

I had some problems with Courier and using this Calypso now. Looks the
same as Courier but no problems for the moment.

Thank you very much Alain. :) :) :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Danyel

Alain said:
I had some problems with Courier and using this Calypso now. Looks the
same as Courier but no problems for the moment.

Let me ask you whether or not both Courier or Calypso are indeed
compatible with gmail, are they?

TIA

Danyel

Alain Beguin

Danyel a écrit/wrote/schreef le/on/op 19/03/2006 H. Josef ;
Let me ask you whether or not both Courier or Calypso are indeed
compatible with gmail, are they?

I never tried this, sorry.
I check gmail with my browser :)

Arne Anka

I alt.comp.freeware, sa Michael Rainey utan att tänka först:
Courier is an improvement over Calypso, but still works pretty much
the same way. In my opinion, there's no reason to get Calypso when
you can get Courier for free. I used Calypso for a couple years and
loved it. I installed Courier a few months ago, and love it even
more.

But it will only last until they find themselves a programmer, to develop
version 4.

--
Arne Anka

Men det värsta är inte själva baksmällan,
den verkliga pärsen börjar när gårdagens
oundvikliga sanningar börjar rullas upp för en...

<http://starcruiser.dk/arne/>

Arne Anka

I alt.comp.freeware, sa Susan Bugher utan att tänka först:
"When you register Courier, you will receive an email receipt which will
include your serial number to unlock the program past the 30 day trial
period."

I would guess the same applies to registering Calypso.

No, as I said - there is no registration process, what so ever, with the
freeware version of Calypso 3.30 - I did use it, before Courier became
Registerware...

--

Arne said:
I alt.comp.freeware, sa Susan Bugher utan att tänka först:

No, as I said - there is no registration process, what so ever, with the
freeware version of Calypso 3.30 - I did use it, before Courier became
Registerware...

Did you use Rose City's version of Calypso?
http://www.rosecitydownloads.com/calypso.exe
(4226 KB)

If not please install it and report back. I believe you'll find
registration is required. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

omega

Susan Bugher said:

I downloaded and looked at the first package above. It's an older version
(3.10).
Did you use Rose City's version of Calypso?
http://www.rosecitydownloads.com/calypso.exe
(4226 KB)

Green light on that package.

My registry etc was cleared of Calypso entries, so was able to launch
this off as brand-new user, also here I made sure to let the installer
play out in full.

Not a word anywhere, no input request, no Kerio, nada, for any kind of
code etc. All clear.

From the About Dialog, here's copy of some of its pertinent text.

| Calypso Version 3.30.00 Build Number 1042
|
| Product licensed to: omega
| Activation code: Full (Registered)
| License type: Permanent

.. . . .
One small & minute issue here. RoseCity might not enjoy having Calypso.exe
at their site directly linked up, since they seek for users to move to
Courier? And that they might remove it? So seems might be most ideal if
third-party link found as backup, one that houses that last 3.3 release.

Btw, are there folks here using Calypso in preference over the later
incarnation? If so, how come?

Susan Bugher

omega said:
Susan Bugher <[email protected]>:

I downloaded and looked at the first package above. It's an older version
(3.10).

Adjusting thinking. . . A note I saved said v 3.3 was the *only*
Freeware version. . .
Green light on that package.

My registry etc was cleared of Calypso entries, so was able to launch
this off as brand-new user, also here I made sure to let the installer
play out in full.

Not a word anywhere, no input request, no Kerio, nada, for any kind of
code etc. All clear.
One small & minute issue here. RoseCity might not enjoy having Calypso.exe
at their site directly linked up, since they seek for users to move to
Courier? And that they might remove it? So seems might be most ideal if
third-party link found as backup, one that houses that last 3.3 release.

Agree. They've already removed the Calypso download link from the web page.
http://www.rosecitysoftware.com/calypso/

NOTE: Courier is keyed Registerware - IOW they can cut that download off
any time they like. See:
http://www.rosecitysoftware.com/courier/faq/

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

omega

Susan Bugher said:
Adjusting thinking. . . A note I saved said v 3.3 was the *only*
Freeware version. . .

I'd only extracted the package, to look at the actual file contents.
Now seeing your post, I went ahead with an install on that... Result?
Yep; fits in with your notes. It's Calypso 3.1 TRIALWARE. (Btw, I'd
wager high that the second FTP location above houses the exact same
thing, so not bothered checking it.)

omega

Susan Bugher said:
Agree. They've already removed the Calypso download link from the web page.
http://www.rosecitysoftware.com/calypso/

NOTE: Courier is keyed Registerware - IOW they can cut that download off
any time they like. See:
http://www.rosecitysoftware.com/courier/faq/

My initial feeling on this subject has been sort of like this: "No big deal
that they say they will eventually stop offering free licenses. They've been
offering them for a quite a good number of months already, and they might
continue that for some long period. At least they're simply being honest
in advance, compared with all the developers that change their mind without
warning on ceasing to provide their product without cost..."

OTOH. That which backs up your reservations .It is that Courier is evidently
not redistributable at all. Other than as shareware/trialware. (License.txt
excerpt appended.)

So I see there why you want to keep a good link for Calypso. Courier might
make for a suitable enough recommendation amongst ACF users during this
period where we all can get it for free, but the official link situation
you're working on, different matter, plus complique.

/ Karen S

*Excerpt from Courier's license.txt:
[....]

> [...]
| is not transferable to another organization or individual. Any
| reproduction or redistribution of Courier not in accordance with the
| License Agreement is prohibited by law, and may result in severe civil
| and criminal penalties. Violators will be prosecuted to the maximum
| extent allowable by law.
|
| COPYRIGHT AND TITLE
|
| Courier is protected by United States copyright laws and international
| treaty provisions. Courier and its suppliers own and retain all right,
| title and interest in and to Courier, including all copyrights, patents,
| trade secret rights, trademarks and other intellectual property rights
| therein. You acknowledge that your possession, installation, or use of
| Courier does not transfer to you any title to the intellectual property
| in Courier, and that you will not acquire any rights to Courier except
| as expressly set forth in this Agreement. You agree that any copies of
| Courier and Documentation will contain the same proprietary notices that
| appear on and in Courier and Documentation.
|
| DISTRIBUTION
|
| Courier is made available for downloading for use by end users according
| to this License Agreement. The unmodified distribution archive of
| Courier may be offered for evaluation purposes via download from any
| Internet web site, BBS or any other online or offline media, provided
| that no charge is made except for the media upon which it is distributed
| or the bandwidth utilized. Anyone offering the unmodified distribution
| archive must also take reasonable precaution to insure they are
| distributing the latest version of the program as available from the
| www.rosecitysoftware.com web site. Rose City Software reserves the right
| to revoke distribution rights from anyone at any time without cause.
|
| RESTRICTIONS
|
| You may not rent, lease, loan or resell Courier. You may not permit
| third parties to benefit from the use or functionality of Courier via a
| timesharing, service bureau or other arrangement. You may not transfer
| any of the rights granted to you under this Agreement. You may not
| reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble Courier, except to the
| extent that the foregoing restriction is expressly prohibited by
| applicable law. You may not modify Courier or create derivative works
| based upon Courier in whole or in part. You may not copy Courier or
| Documentation except as expressly permitted above. You may not remove
| any proprietary notices or labels on Courier.
|
| TERMINATION
|
| This License is effective until terminated. You may terminate this
| License at any time by destroying Courier, and all copies thereof. This
| License will be construed as terminated immediately and without notice
| from Rose City Software if you fail to comply with any provision of this
| License. If this license is terminated for any reason, you must destroy

Many many thanks - knowing what I'm looking for helps a lot. :) I found
another download link:

calypso.exe 21-Jan-2004 20:28 4.1M
http://ftp.gen.net.id/pub/tools/Others/calypso.exe
OTOH. That which backs up your reservations .It is that Courier is evidently
not redistributable at all. Other than as shareware/trialware. (License.txt
excerpt appended.)

ACF's expert searchers have gone on a few wild goose chases - finding
"last freeware versions" of apps - only to discover that such files
weren't *usable*. Having info about registration keys noted in the ware
descriptions should save us some time in the future.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware