Music. What are you listening to right now?

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I was listening to Oasis' album Be Here Now this morning, I love me a bit of magic pie :)

This is another album track, and fun fact Johnny Depp is playing guitar:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
That's a great cover! :thumb:

I've been enjoying the new song from Florence + The Machine recently:

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score

La Complainte Du Partisan

Les Allemands étaient chez moi
On m'a dit "Résigne-toi"
Mais je n'ai pas pu
Et j'ai repris mon arme

Personne ne m'a demandé
D'où je viens et où je vais
Vous qui le savez
Effacez mon passage

J'ai changé cent fois de nom
J'ai perdu femme et enfants
Mais j'ai tant d'amis
Et j'ai la France entière

Un vieil homme dans un grenier
Pour la nuit nous a cachés
Les Allemands l'ont pris
Il est mort sans surprise

Hier encore, nous étions trois
Il ne reste plus que moi
Et je tourne en rond
Dans la prison des frontières

Le vent souffle sur les tombes
La liberté reviendra
On nous oubliera
Nous rentrerons dans l'ombre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Complainte_du_Partisan

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
My French is pretty rusty, but I managed to get the gist of the meaning before I looked it up. She has a lovely voice :)

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
... but I managed to get the gist of the meaning before I looked it up.

Here is Leonard Cohen:

His French is rather... interesting — below, he describes himself as "English [speaking] Canadian [Quebecer], the minority". From 1976, the other guest is Charles Trenet.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Watched a TV prog last night about David Bowie and it reminded me just how different and talented he was.

Always liked this one and I think it was his first major hit (after Space Oddity).

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Smokie & Suzie Quatro? My goodness, the seventies have a lot to answer for ;)

Currently reading a book all about British folk music though 'folk' is a very loose genre marker and it covers Vaughn Williams who was very influential in shaping British music. He was good mates with Gustav Holst, the 'Planets' fella. Book title is Electric Eden - Unearthing Britain's Visionary Music by Rob Young.

When David Bowie found that Lady Stardust had given him some sort of fame he decided he needed a bigger touring van so he bought a new bigger one. My mate Roy bought his old van, an orange Bedford which was the same shape and size as a Ford Transit. It had messages written just inside the rear doors such as 'We Love you David'.

The van ended up in a breakers yard in Lewisham if I recall correctly.

Took a trip to Oxford Street HMV yesterday and bought Pink Floyd's 'Pulse'. Original vinyl copies of this had been selling for £500 so I was pleased to see it reissued on vinyl. It's very good quality and the bass is quite stupendous.

I was at one of these concerts in Londons' Earls Court in 1994 so this music means a lot to me (not the one where a section of seating collapsed though).

I was going to say I now have the whole set of Pink Floyd official live and studio releases on vinyl but that's not strictly true as I don't own 'The Final Cut' which was their last LP. Why not? Because in my opinion it's a miserable dirge, that's why not. It was largely a Roger Waters solo LP and at that time Waters was busy splitting the band. I just cannot listen to it without wanting to cut my wrists.

Playing my new acquisition at home yesterday:

424_800.jpg

And here's an excerpt from the Pulse film:

Ask a Question