Games I've been playing lately and the state of things Chez Flops

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I haven’t participated much in the Forum for a whiles now but last time I checked I appeared to still be alive so cobbled together a brief summing up of the games I’ve been playing fairly recently. PC Games have been running on this system:

Motherboard: MSI Pro Z790-P Wi-Fi

CPU: 12th Gen Intel i5 12600K

32Gb Corsair RAM

MSI Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb

All games on Crucial 4Tb 2.5” SSD

Win 10 Pro OS on 2 x Crucial 1Tb M.2 NVME SSD in RAID 0

Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End and Uncharted: The Lost Legacy Two games as one package, sold as ‘The Collection’ and played as two separate games

I’ve played A Thief’s End to the last scene, which is a one-on-one sword fight and This part has me beat. I’ve tried dozens of times to beat this, failed every time, so unwillingly have admitted defeat.

However I have to say I haven’t enjoyed a game as much as this one for a long time. Recommended.

Am currently playing The Lost Legacy which is pretty much more of the same but with different characters and story line.

Recently bought a game named Control from Epic for £13.49 after reading numerous good reviews, have played about one hour so far and so far, so good.

I bought Baldurs Gate 3 when it was released (August, I think) and initially was ready to give up on it (even after lashing out fifty quid) as I found it very confusing with something of a steep learning curve. I did read lots of online guides and tips but tbh most of them only served to confuse me even more.

Still, I persisted (the sum of £50 being very prominent in my thoughts). I have made progress of sorts but will confess to still not really understanding this Dungeons and Dragons thing. So far Steam tells me I have spent 23.1 hours playing this game and have unlocked two achievments so I can’t be that much of a Dufus.

I will say the game looks gorgeous and gameplay can be quite addictive. In short – yes, it’s good.

But I do still wonder whether there are bugs present as It seems to me that quite frequently controls are not doing what I want them to do. For instance, I’m trying to instigate combat and all I get is a search result where often as not I am encouraged to pick up a cracked vase or some other unlikely

object.

I also Managed to pick up The Last Of Us Part One in a sale and despite Sony’s warnings the game runs fine on my system even though my system does not meet minimum spec. requirements.

From the same Playstation stable as Uncharted and The Last Of Us also bought Days Gone, which features a storyline with bikers and Zombies. I picked this one up very cheap and was enjoying it but I appear to be stuck. I actually think the game may have a bug as when I try to make my way through a tunnel part of the way through involves using a service tunnel and as I walk past a door a zombie pops out and kills me. I’ve now played this scene dozens of times and every different way I can think of but with no luck – a Zombie still does for me. Oh well – is it true you only get what you pay for?

Other games played recently:

Tandem – A Tale Of Shadows – an Epic Freebie, one of the few of their freebies I’ve tried and it’s held my attention so far.

Sable – different, I’m enjoying this one.

Choo Choo Charles – silly but fun

Devil May Cry five – picked it up in a Steam sale – not bad at all, better than other DMC games I’ve tried.

Psychonauts 2 I was enjoying this a lot until it suddenly got super-duper difficult and I got stuck and gave up. This seems to be a recurring theme with me – I’m either an expert at throwing money down the drain or an eternal optimist who has misplaced faith in Games Developers.

Evil West is another one that was good until it beat me around the head and I gave up.

As was Marvel’s Guardians Of The Galaxy.

Older games I’ve had a dabble with recently that still play well imo: Blade Runner; Nox.

Games in my collection I haven’t played as I have not a clue what you’re supposed to do to play them:

Age Of Wonders III; Sid Meier’s Civilisation VI; Immortality; Return Of The Obra Din; Ano 1404; Ano 1602; Ano1701;

Sometimes I wonder whether my disenchantment with some games and my refusal, perhaps, to make more of an effort, is a result of me just getting fed up with the design of some games – I want to enjoy myself after all, not get bashed around and suffer mental anguish – or I could be ready to accept it may be a result of my advancing years, after all, my reflexes are not what they were when I was 23 and a half.

If you like totally non-realistic arcade car racing games then you’ll like Horizon Chase 2.

Titanfall 2 is better than Titanfall 1

In February of this year I traded in my X-Box One for an Xbox Series X but didn’t actually use it much except for recently where I’ve been enjoying: Sea Of Stars; Bramble: The Mountain King; One Piece Odyssey (although judging by reviews I appear to be one of the few people who actually like this game)

and LEGO Drive 2K (which is good if you don’t mind constantly being bombarded with offers to purchase in-game additions)

A few more mentions:

DEATH Stranding was a disappointment; The Halo Collection is very good; The last Day Of June is quite good though nothing special; Pillars Of Eternity II Deadfire I’ve liked a lot; Disco Elysium I don’t like; Kingdom Come: Deliverance is let down by an awful save system and a frustrating lock-pick sequence;

And I think that’ll do for now.... apart from:

FWIW I’m active on Facebook; make an occasional post on an Audio Forum; Haven’t suffered any really nasty medical conditions lately; watch a fair amount of old tosh on Netflix; still ride my push bike on Thameside; Rarely visit the pub anymore mostly because all those I knew within walking distance of any local drinking hosteleries have moved away from London Postal Code addresses to Kent, mostly, often by the seaside, and some to Essex. London Still enjoys lots of crime although from the news stories I read it seems those areas often thought of as quiet, peaceful ‘out in the sticks’ are doing their best to catch up, particularly with knife crime.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi there @floppybootstomp, seasonal felicitations to you!

I have missed your mini-blogs, which were always interesting, but can respect that you might not have time to spare for that, particularly when you've been busy on the games front. Glad you have found some that are still fun and not too frustrating.

All the very best to you. 😊

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Good to hear from you again, Flops.

Nice to know that you're still around. ;)

Reaction score
sounds like You have one foot in the grave and are OK with that. what is Your life outside fusking video games ?
How many grandchildren do You have and how are Your Daughters. I've 3 grandaughters and 1 grandson and another coming.
I'm loving the questions,hugs,reading,feeding,caring..........more than I deserve.
I'm glad Your still on the right side of the dirt,My friend.

Ask a Question