Music. What are you listening to right now?

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Maybe Ian can look into booking these for the next PCReview annual party :dance:

Is it the music you like or their outfits?! :p

Love the Cat Duet by Rossini :thumb: Little known fact - I used to do classical singing and my teacher got me doing this song. Ian used to hate it, but it's great fun to sing! :lol:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score

Hugh Laurie has a great, soulful voice :) (first 3 mins is just piano)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score

breakfast.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Sometimes there's a tale behind a tune.

Stonehenge free (and illegal) festival 1980 in a field a little way up from a roundabout on the A303 not quite in sight of the famous stone circle as they are at the top of a slight rise above the festival site. I am driving a 1966 Transit van and the police pull me over within 2 miles of the festival.

There are four of us travelling in the van, two male, two female. The police, for whatever reason, commandeer the van and one police officer drives my vehicle to nearby Amesbury police station. The four of us are taken to the same police station and placed in two temporary holding cells (girls in one, boys in the other) which are basically two portacabin type outbuildings in the police station yard at the back of the premises.

We are all methodically made to remove all of our clothes until we stand their butt nekkid and are strip searched which involves having a rubber glove inserted in our rear passages plus a torch shone up there. It was all I could do not to muster a fart to let the officers know I was disgruntled but I thought that might not be in my best interests. The strip searches, incidentally, took place in these outbuildings which had uncovered windows facing the public road and anybody could look in at all of us.

Eventually they were convinced we had no drugs on either us or the vehicle and released us. My 1966 Transit van had sloppy steering, it didn't wander when moving but you did have to turn the wheel several inches either way before anything happened. One officer wanted to nick me for this but I assured him it met current MOT spec and had passed the MOT. He went out of his way to check and agreed I was telling the truth.

The rear of the van was lined with thin plywood and during the police search some of this had been pulled free of it's fixings and was not put back to how it was originally. My parting shot to an officer as I drove out of their yard was 'If I'd had any dope I'd have put it in the air filter - did you look in there'?' Judging by his startled expression I'm guessing they did not.

And so to the festival, what a strange event it is, I've only ever been that once, the following years I mostly went to the Glastonbury Festival. We made a one gallon pressure cooker pot of veggie stew and seemed to attract most of Wiltshire's starving population, we more or less gave away the first batch and so made another which we then refused to give away and kept for ourselves.

There was a variety of music and events and some very friendly people there, it was enjoyable. Around 3 or 4am that morning I was wandering about the site in a rather bamboozled state taking in the sights, sounds and sensations. Suddenly this huge sound system right next to me boomed this out, Hawkwind's Lord Of Light. I was playing the LP it is from this morning 'Do Re Mi Fasol Lati Do' and now whenever I hear this track I am transported back to that warm dry summer's night near Stonehenge.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Woah, was that kind of search even legal??! :eek:

Thanks for setting the scene for the song though :thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score

It was the 80's the Iron Lady held a vice like grip on the country and her black suited badgeless helmeted smoked visored goon squads and the police could do whatever they wanted. :rolleyes:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Gloria Jones was the girlfriend of Marc Bolan and was with him in the car when he wrapped a yellow Mini round the old oak tree. Trivia time people :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score

I dunno - was it legal? It wasn't very pleasant whatever the legal status ;)

As for Mr Barbaric asserting our wonderful boys in blue were something other than friendly beat officers and were in fact Der Gruppenstrapper Stormtroopers all indirectly related to Darth Vader - no truth in it all, oh no.

Our Margaret had only been in power about a year at that time, we were only six months or so out of the seventies. She was still honing the finer art of destroying unions, taking kids school milk away and generally getting the police force ready for the Poll Tax Riots in Trafalgar Square ;)

Amesbury and Wiltshire's finest were just getting in a little early practice for times to come :D

Ask a Question