Disco doodlings

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I done a booking last night at my ex-bro-in-law's pub in Peckham and by and large it went very well.

The pub is named The Olde Apple Tree and for years has been known as an Irish pub and is also known for it's good atmosphere and lack of violence.

Last night the Governor came to me around 10pm and told me to only play Irish music. At the time I was playing Top 40 dancy stuff and the place was moving, peeps were dancing, seemed good to me, so I got the hump.

But I figured it's his pub, he's paying me so I best do as he says.

Turns out there was a little troublesome crew from Lewisham known to him in there and the Irish music caused them to leave.

After that I played nothing but oldies, Irish, Ska, Tamla, Rock and Roll, Abba, all that kind of crap and the evening was great.

Then at about midnight some geezer my age asked me for some Scottish music. This was new to me, didn't really have a clue what Scottish Music was so I apologised to him and said I didn't have any.

Then his mate came up and complained there was too much Irish music and how about some English Music? Do I have 'We'll Meet Again' and 'The White Cliffs Of Dover'? No I don't, mostly cos I consider they're crap :D

I did play him some Chas & Dave though which seemed to cheer him up.

Then the first geezer came back and complained about no Scottish Music and I again apologised and said I didn't have any, vaguely registering in my mind I did actually have some Big Country and 'Donald Where's Yer Troosers' but I doubt he would have apreciated them.

He thought about this then informed me I was a **** and was crap and useless and that I played too much of 'That ******* Paddy music'.

Well I have to confess I was afronted so told my Scottish friend that if he called me a **** again I would break his nose and kick his teeth in and told him to **** off, whilst getting right in his face.

He slouched away, I was left shaking, shivering and fuming.

I then told the Governor who kicked him out.

Other than that, fabulous night :)

You know, I haven't thumped anybody (apart from burglar incident) since 1985, sometimes I wonder about people.

I'm back at the pub in late November and the Governor has also booked me for New Years Eve for double bubble (as is the norm) so all in all pretty good :)

Reaction score
Good stuff Mr.Flopp's.....you're dead right to stand up to these goons that approach ya when they're drunk.
A little strong perhaps, cos you may just have started a row if he hadn't backed off.
Anyway....all's well that ends well.
You should keep a small club under your decks for back up just in casey.;)
The only scottish stuff i know are the "I will walk ten thousand miles" and mull of kintyre.
Actually we should start a thread for music from individual countries or summat.
I bought Wolfenstein today on your previous recommendations so i will get back to you on that.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thank you Mr Mucks. I am familiar with Runrig, I think they're good, but I think this idiot was more after something like the Gay Gordons.

More I think about it, it must have upset me a little bit, especially if I decided to post it here. Hmm.

Zed: I have a baseball bat by my bedside, it may be an idea to take it with me to bookings but I've never done that in 38 years, would be a bit sad really.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Ha and they call this a United Kingdom..
laughingsmiley.gif

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Give me future dates and i will attend and bring with me the notorious PC Review Crew lol

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Thank you Mr Mucks. I am familiar with Runrig, I think they're good, but I think this idiot was more after something like the Gay Gordons.

More I think about it, it must have upset me a little bit, especially if I decided to post it here. Hmm.

Zed: I have a baseball bat by my bedside, it may be an idea to take it with me to bookings but I've never done that in 38 years, would be a bit sad really.

Nowt wrong with protection, dude.......better safe than sorry in my leabhair (book in irish)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
Ha and they call this a United Kingdom..
laughingsmiley.gif

Tell me about it :rolleyes:

I hate Nationalism, I really do.

I think Sean Connery is a fine fine actor but I also think he's a pratt for his Scottish nationalist stance.

We are a very small island yet we want to split it into regions and have our own identity away from British. Pathetic. Look how big the USA is and yet they're more united than us in accepting one identity - American.

Welsh? English? Cornish? Scottish? Pimlico?

It annoys me, it really does.

I didn't mention Irish, as far as I'm concerned Ireland is geographically seperate from the UK and should have the choice of being independent, which the majority clearly desire. Ulster is a hangover from British colonial days.

But.... that's a political and extremely sensitive subject and my point of view is but small change in the great melting pot of Irish debate.

So I won't touch on that again.

Nationalism, however, I probably will touch on again.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Confrontation certainly gets the old adrenalin flowing flops and the come down can be quite un nerving. Good for you for standing up for your self.

nod.gif

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
FFR:

You know you are too old to play gigs when...

It becomes more important to find a place on stage for your fan than your amp.
Your gig clothes make you look like George Burns out for a round of golf or Dolly Parton with no bosom.
All your fans leave by 9:30 p.m.
All you want from groupies is a foot massage and back rub.
You love taking the elevator because you can sing along with most of your set-list.
Instead of a fifth member, your band wants to spring for a roadie.
You lost the directions to the gig.
You need your glasses to see the amp settings.
You've thrown out your back jumping off the stage.
You feel like hell before the gig even starts.
The waitress is your daughter!
You stop the set because your ibuprofen fell behind the speakers.
Most of your crowd just sways in their seats.
You find your drink tokens from last month's gig in your guitar case.
You refuse to play without earplugs.
You ask the club owner if you can start at 8:30 instead of 9:30.
You check the TV schedule before booking a gig.
Your gig stool has a back.
You're related to at least one member in the band.
You don't let anyone sit in.
You need a nap before the gig.
After the third set, you bug the club owner to let you quit early.
During the breaks, you now go to the van to lie down.
You prefer a music stand with a light.
You don't recover from Saturdays gig until Tuesday afternoon.
You hope the host's speech lasts forever
You buy amps considering their weight and not their tone or "cool" factor.
Feeling guilty looking at hot women at the audience, 'cause they're younger than your daughter.
You can remember seven different club names for the same location.
You have a hazy memory of the days when you could work 10 gigs in 7 days and could physically do it!
Your date couldn't make it because she couldn't find a babysitter for the grandkids.
The set list has to be in 20 point type.
Your drug of choice is now coffee…
It seems impossible to find stage shoes with decent arch support.

happywave.gif

Ask a Question