microland technology - rubbish

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
It is all very quiet on the MT front recently - is everyone happy and sorted out now?

I really hope that happiness and resolution has arrived for all.

Kind regards

Gabriella x

Reaction score
My 8-month saga of ineffectual support for a faulty PC still drags on.

Having, as reported in message 214, got an empty PC on which to load Windows (and everything else) for the fourth time, I found Microland had not returned all the CDs for this machine. They demand them back each time the PC is returned to them. Two are missing as far as I am aware and the motherboard one is apparently essential for loading Windows.

A week ago they promised to put it in the post that day but nothing turned up, nor of course, has there been any response to my email reminder on 23 September. Nor has either the company nor director Chris Large (quoted in Computer Buyer Watchdog, September issue) replied to postal mail I have sent.

My credit card company is showing interest in the case and is asking lots of questions. I have also raised the case (without so far naming MT) on Cix, a computer conferencing system to which the majority of computer journalists seem to subscribe.

Peter

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Peter

Really sorry to hear that the saga goes on for you. Please persevere and be patient as I am sure that it will be resolved. Do push your C/C provider and let them have as much information as you can. It was a pain for me, but when I compiled a chronology (brief and to the point AND well evidenced) my C/C provider were up for it like a shot. They were a little 'iffy' initially but I beavered along and it did come good in the end.

If there's any support we can give you, give us a shout!!

Take care

Gabriella x

Reaction score
dear peter

what a mess and im sorry to see this continues to happen but gabriella gives you some good advice.
i hope it all gets resolved and plz keep us posted on what happens.

Reaction score
I got my refund!!

Yay- Today I got my refund !!

It started when Microlands authentication server threw a wobbly when I tried to place an order, and I made the mistake of placing it again thinking the first one had not been accepted.

With any other supplier a quick email or a phone call would have quickly cancelled the duplicate and given me my refund, but Microland is not like any other company. Once they have your money they like to hang on to it.

It took 39 days of sending threatening mails and hanging on hold in telephone queues simply to get my own money back.

The parts I ordered were fine. I could even have forgiven them shipping me the wrong motherboard first time round if they had not jerked me around over my refund.

Will I buy anything from them in the future? - Ermm NO.

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Mandrake Nut

Excellent news!!!! Really pleased for you.

In a silly way maybe, I would like to think that the exposure that MT have had on various forums may have just caused them to rethink a bit. The posts in relation to unhappy customers do appear to have decreased of late which is better but I know that there are still a few unhappy people out there.

I am sure that people will do whatever they can to support friends in trouble with this company.

Anyway, well done you!!!

Kind regards

Gabriella x

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Chris

Very sad but true I fear.

On the positive side, the number of people needing to post with recent complaints/ issues and the like does appear to have decreased which could be a good sign (I say 'could' with some caution though).

There has been some very good advice on this forum as a result of people sharing experiences and I think we need to thank PCR for facilitating this.

Many thanks

Gabriella x

Reaction score
Sorry to say that it hasn't gone quiet on the MT (****) forum!

I too am a victim of this appology of a company.

On the 9th of October I ordered a Geforce 6800 graphics card from them, cost including VAT/delivery is 225.00, on the following monday they debited my account (Switch (I know)), and then on wednesday I sent an email off to them asking where said card was.

On the Thursday (14), I was told that they had a "stock problem" with the card, and they have to re-order it on my behalf (sounds familiar to all in this forum!), and it is now Saturday 16th and said card still hasn't arrived. Oh, they said it would be with me in a couple of days.

I think actually looking at it, MT are commiting a criminal offence - they are deliberatly defrauding customers AND banks by charging for goods that they know do not exist.

Try reporting them to stockport police station, you might be surprised if the CID decide to prosecute the staff for knowingly defrauding customers.

If they didn't know that they had the card in stock, then why don't they say so before processing the order.

Yes, they do have cash problems - any company which resorts to this tactic is obviously in serious financial ****. Look at Micro Direct, Eclipse, Planet Micro, scan etc.. do they resort to this tactic? No.

Next time, I shall order goods directly in the shop - in that way you know at least you have the goods or not. :mad:

Reaction score
hi alan

sorry to see yet more problems with MT. your statement about them telling us about stock levels before debiting our credit cards is a valid point. after i got my money back from MT i ordered from gladiator computers who informed me before they took my money that the card was on high demand and they only got 1 delivery per week and was a back log to fill before 1 would be available for me, they asked me if i was willing to wait before they took any of my money. this is the way a buisness should be run, so indeed it seems microland are performing a criminal offence, i class this as theft but unfortunatly the law dosent see it this way as i was told MT are doing nothing illegal. what rubbish, these people should be stopped and im so surprised the amount of complaints people have made against them that something hasnt been done already. im not sure how you will go about getting your money back as you did use a switch card. i hope for your sake your bank is understanding and will help you all they can. i wish you the best of luck and plz keep us posted on what happens.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Will do!

Im gonna speak with HSBC about this company, even though I haven't yet cancelled (it's still the weekend), however who knows the card might turn up? Though it can be doubtfull.........

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Alan

Really sorry about your problems. You should find that HSBC are aware of the company - I am with a subsidiary and supplied plenty of evidence in relation to my problems back in the spring and I know that I am not the only one to do the same.

As Cazy says, keep us posted!

Gabriella x

Reaction score
So in other words it should be easier to get my money back if I present my case right to them?

Seems like even HSBC won't do business with MT! Crikey, shall we all take bets as to how long said company will last? I say 3/1 they fold in January 2005!

Also, is it worth waiting to see if the graphics card turns up, or shall I buy elsewhere and then try to sue for it?

Reaction score
i wouldent hold you breath of it turning up. if i was you i would cancel and buy elsewere but the decision is entirley yours. your case is so simular to mine and they kept promising me a delivery date but as you can guess this never happened. but getting your money back is the hardest part, they hate to return it, MT are nothing but thieves.

Last edited:

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Alan

There are slightly different issues in relation to Switch/Maestro and whilst it is definately worth talking to your bank, consumer protection with debit cards is not at the level you would receive if paying with C/C. That said, you have egal rghts and as a starter I would look at the really useful guide at the 'front end' of this site. You may also want to consider talking to Stockport Trading Standards who are well aware of this company.

Please keep us posted and take care.

Gabriella xx

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Alan (again!!!)

I am gonna take my life slightly in my hand here - but here goes!!!!

On this site you will find really friendly, helpful people. However, we do have to be a tad careful what we put onto this site cos after all it is public. Perhaps there is a need to strike a balance between articulating what appears to be a quite legitimate complaint and having a bit of a go on this thread and a copule of others. Please do not take offence, I am just trying to say - there are loads of people who will help you, but take it steady....please?????

Gabriella

Reaction score
Apparently they have told me that the order has now been shipped (they said it has been shipped tonight). However, could this be just to buy time? The dispatch page doesn't say that the card has been shipped. Puzzling(!)

Reaction score
If they say it has shipped, then they should have given you a URL to Business Post who do their deliveries to track its progress.
MT are a bunch of cowboys, but my experience is that Business Post are OK, and if your shipment is shown in their system then it will turn up quite soon.

Ask a Question