microland technology - rubbish

Reaction score
true all seems so quiet of the MT front

they still keep sending me email advertisments, even after i email them back and tell them i wouldent use them again even if they were the last cowboy company in the world. but still the adverts keep coming.

Reaction score
My PC model CB153 was bought with 1Gb of RAM and Windows XP Pro but since Microland returned it after the third so-called repair, only 768MB of RAM is reported by the system. There are other faults too, but less obvious to demonstrate.

The PC then had Windows XP Home installed instead of XP Pro and coiuld not be activated because I did not have the MS CD and key for XP Home. Microland IT Support denied that the wrong version of Windows could have been put on the PC. Eventually I reinstalled XP Pro myself.

Microland continue to ignore my email and letters nor will they send an engineer to restore the RAM, though I paid £60 specifically for on-site maintenance.

Computer Buyer Magazine's Watchdog has failed to draw a response from Microland.

The Trading Standards Officer at Stockport has apparently heard reassuring words from Chris Large, the director who seems to be spokesman for Microland, but no action follows.

The PCA confirms that Microland is no longer a member, so they cannot help.

Peter Reynolds

Reaction score
I received an email from Stockport Trading Standards asking if my issue with Microland had been resolved, which it had. I'm also being spammed by Microland-I've reconfigured my blocked list so I am hoping I'll get no more.

Sorry to hear they are messing you around preynolds. Good luck.

Reaction score
Could you let me know the email address of Stockport Trading Standards please?

All communication with them (Aaron Essler, I think) so far has been by phone.

Peter

Reaction score
OMG! I have placed an order of a monitor and a graphic card on 26/11/04 (2-3 depatch days), Total £270 without knowing any problems everyone having with this company. I have sent them an email on friday trying to track the order but received no reply yet. I'm really worried now can anyone suggest me what to do?

This is so messed up cuz initially i was gonna order it from Teknoworld but now it seems that i'm ****** and there's no way to get my money back without a LOOOOONG wait.

Can ANY ONE suggest what i should do here, i will try to contact them FIRST thing on monday morning. Should i wait for it to be delivered or should i simply cancel the order?? Really need some help here!!!!

Oi!! No Donald Ducking mate, this be a family site, 'k? - fbs edit.

Reaction score
Sorry but I'm really worried about the situation at the moment. I am planning to Phone them up first thing monday morninig to speak to the customer support directly, i'm thinking to wait one more week for the order to despatch, after that i will give them 28 days for the refund otherwise i will report my case to Stockport Trading Standards. And if they put me through a queue i will just have to send this through email.

Also i have placed the order through a Switch card due to the fact that my c/c has just expired recently and was unable to collect a new c/c from my bank. Does any one know if it's possible to claim your money back with switch card payment if MT does not refund on time.

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear Hans

You need to read the whole thread through very carefully and also read the very useful guide at the 'front end' of this site re: consumer rights. I and others have had lots of problems with MT. The main difficulty that you may have is using Switch/Maestro rather than c/c. You have protection as a consumer but not to the extent that you would had you purchased with c/c. I am not criticising you, just pointing out the issues.

There are people within the site that are happy to help, but as the previous writer pointed out, this is a family site and we do need to take care with language. You may find PC Advisor site worth looking at in relation to this company.

I have PMd you a separate email 2nite in relation to some information you were wanting to access.

Kind regards

Gabriella x

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is a long thread...and there is no way I can read it all....not in one life time anyway! lol.

I did stumble across a bit in the middle though (posts by Gabriella and Cazy) where a few of you said a few things about the forum editor over at pc advisor and the forums over there. I also noticed Hans has just been pointed over to PC Advisor to look for info on a company.

I have noticed how the forum editor at pc advisor sticks up for certain companies, etc. And how a lot of the people on there are basically unpleasant and seem to be able to write what they like, such as direct insults, and get away with it.

The forum editor over at PC Advisor seems to think he knows about everything there is to know about everything. Which he doesn't because nobody does. Some of the people on the pc advisor forum are also the most unpleasant people on any forum anywhere.

Myself and quite a few others believe that the PC Advisor forum used to be better than what it is now.

I think the power of being editor has gone to the forum editors head at PC Advisor. He/she seems to have some sort of false feeling of absolute power. He/she likes to impose his/her authority as often as possible. The way the FE also defends certain companies makes me dubious as to whether the FE and/or pc advisor dont have some sort of financial interest in defending them. Maybe they have dealings with them for all we know.

Basically, moaning about certain companies on PC Advisor gets you nowhere. The forum editor jumps to their defence and other forum members simply attack you, almost like they have been set up to do it.

If you do search the pc advisor forum for information on a certain company. Its better to simply read the first post of the thread and believe it. Because after thet the bully boys come in and simply attack the poster for even thinking about moaning on a forum! Thats if the Forum Editor doesn't totally delete the thread!

Reaction score
Hi All,

Been having a few problems with this company myself, sad to see others are having the same problem. I ordered a number of items, one of which was not being stocked or actually sold at the time i placed the ordered (there web site still allowed me to order this fine, and only informed me it was out of stock after i placed the order, but still took my money from my visa card). When informed of this (took them 4-5 days to respond) I cancelled my order straight away and then placed it with another company. Low and behold i then got a mail back from then saying the rest of the order had been sent, and it was on the way to me. I informed them with a mail back saying i had cancelled this order (sending them back the confirmation of the cancelation). Then they said to just reject the parcel when it arrives, (which took about 1 week as i live in Ireland) which i did do. I infomed them i had done this, and i wanted my money back, no replys for ages. And then they told me to chase royal mail about this, told them to bugger off, and that they should do this. Then was informed that the parcel had got lost somewhere and that they would need to claim this back off the royal mail. This as been going on for other 3 months plus now. I`ve now given them 2 days or i will start a small claims procedure with them, and will be talking to stockport trading standards (anyone know there number?) and also my credit card company, and i will try and speak to there credit card broker (the ones that take the money off you for them). and tell them of the problems i am having.
Be warned everyone stay well clear of these lot.

Last edited:
Reaction score
managed to contact microland by phone and emails on Monday 6th November, cancellation of my order was within hours. However still no sign of refund yet... email reply from microland:

Thank you for contacting us.

We have generated a support ticket to help us track your inquiry. Your ticket code is LTK300405555X. Please use this code in any further communication.

Your refund will be processed within 28 days of cancellation.

I hope that microland will keep their word this time or else i will be contacting Stockport Trading Standards. :mad:

Reaction score
Sad to see that this company is still treating its customers like this. Hope you guys get your refunds

Reaction score
really sad, and still 28 days for a refund. WHY?. i recently brought a new HDD that was faulty and i was refunded the next day and it was mail order also.

Last edited:
Reaction score
cazy said:
really sad, and still 28 days for a refund. WHY?. i recently brought a new HDD that was faulty and i was refunded the next day and it was mail order also.
Because it's an excellent way to solve cash flow problems and earn interest on money dishonestly obtained in this way. I wonder what percentage of their profits derive from interest earned this way?
So many people have been the victim of this ploy: obtaining monies on phantom goods that do not exist and holding onto the money for 28 days instead of providing an immediate refund.

Reaction score
They use you for a free loan, they don't have to pay interest on an overdraft while awaiting payment for customers using trade credit, infact it's quite the oposite, good little "scam" innit :D

Reaction score
Meanwhile I pursue my lonely battle to get MT to honour the on-site warranty for which I paid.

The history of faults continues since delivery of a CB153 PC last February and they have found various reasons for not sending an engineer to look at it.

So the PC was returned and they replaced the memory but failed to correct faulty internal audio wiring.

They exchanged the base unit for a new one which did not begin to work with multimedia because they had visibly not set this up, though a feature of the package sold, and by their own admission had not tested the PC properly before sending it to me.

Meanwhile they claimed they found nothing wrong with my original PC, though AFAICR audio wiring was still lacking and there was a large stack of Serious Error reports

So they swopped PCs again but this time installed Win XP Home instead of XP Pro and the memory shows 768MB instead of 1GB

By now Chris Large, apparently the boss who ignores my letters, was tired of me and instructed IT Support to ignore my emails. Five weeks later I learnt this in a phone call which apparently persuaded IT Support (Sean Wilson) that there is a memory deficiency and he wants me to remove the sticks and send them to Microland for testing. I prefer (and am advised) to hold out for an engineer's visit.

Now they are changing the goalposts and assert that I am not entitled to onsite support as the PC has been back too often.

They cite their Terms & Conditions which include:

Your new PC will be covered for three years, 2 years onsite and then one year return to base parts and labour...
4. We reserve the right to change or vary these terms and conditions at any time.
5. A visit charge of £160 Plus VAT will be charged for any ineligible repair or claim.
6. We reserve the right to charge a handling charge on all non faulty repairs or testing or found to be in satisfactory condition after initial testing
11. We reserve the right to cancel the warranty at any time
14. An onsite visit is at the discretion of an IT Support manager.

This comes from their website dated 1/09/03 which is news to me: I do not remember seeing anything like it earlier in the year.

Can anyone here confirm the date these rules were published?

Do other PC companies have such rules?

Perhaps the subject deserves its own thread?

Peter Reynolds

Reaction score
I never saw these rules and i have never seen them with any other company. if you have paid for on site warranty then you are entitled to it no matter how many times they have to come to you. we have already established MT customer services are beyond a joke and i think the way they are treating you is unacceptable. as i never got this far with MT i dont know how i can help you. all i can do is offer deepest sympothy and wish you good luck with these jokers.

As with the memory i have never seen this before. i have had a problem with a hard drive showing the incorrect capacity but this was due to the way it was partitioned. this is wiered stuff that MT should correct for you.

dont let them give you this rubish. keep on trying, its what you have paid for.

take care
cazy

Ask a Question