microland technology - rubbish

Reaction score
Hi

A creditors meeting (to put the company into Liquidation) has been called by an Insolvency firm called UNITY.

One might ask just how long the Directors have known they were insolvent, ie unable to meet their debt obligations. Probably quite some time, many months. Thus the directors were acting illegally allowing the company to trade and could be prosecuted by the Insolvency Service (the local branch is in Manchester, I think). Write to them to INSIST the directors ARE prosecuted.

Second, as the web site was kept open over XMAS/New Year with the sole purpose of extracting yet more money, this was an offence of furnishing false information under the Theft Act (typical sentence of 2-7years). Complain to the Fraud Section of the greater Manchester police. INSIST the action is brought. The directors will have no defence and should, if found guilty, have a wonderful time at Her Majesty's pleasure.

Finally, any transactions where you paid by Credit Card over the last few weeks should be considered by your credit card company as fraud. Report it as such. Your card will be cancelled and relaced with a new number (after, would you trust the directors of ML NOT to use your card details again?). I have already been refunded my money.

Trevor

Reaction score
Hello

I noticed today that the Microland Technology site cannot be accessed and it looks like they have sold the domain.

The Insolvency service confirmed to me today (14:00 GMT) that they do not have a listing yet for Microland, so it seems a bit unclear exactly what is happening.
From all the forums and dicussions on the web its seems there are legions of unsecured debtors out their owed money by this company.
I have also contacted Trading Standards in Stockport to add to the evidence against this company.
It seems very unlikely that if Micoland has declared themselves insolvent that any unsecured individuals will recover their money.

Lets hope that Trading Standards can clarify the situation and try to prevent this "company" (or rather, bunch or crooks) from ever trading again.

Lessons are learned the hard way:
1. Never use a debit card to order over the net
2. Never use a company that takes your money at the point of order. (Only delivery)
3. Spend a little more to get your goods from a reputable company with good customre service

Reaction score
I cant believe the cheek of those bastards. So ive been screwed as well. I order a tsunami (ironic i know) on 2nd jan using credit card. Do you think there is anyway of getting the money back if i contact the card company and tell them the situation, Also, does anyone know a reliable company to order a tsnumani dream black case with window.

Reaction score
jgibaud said:
I cant believe the cheek of those bastards. So ive been screwed as well. I order a tsunami (ironic i know) on 2nd jan using credit card. Do you think there is anyway of getting the money back if i contact the card company and tell them the situation, Also, does anyone know a reliable company to order a tsnumani dream black case with window.
Hi

IF your card company provides cover for purchases of the value of your purchase (all real credit cards offer cover for over £100), they will refund. Mine was a Platinum Barclaycard which offers full cover regardless of amount (or so it seems cos my purchase was just £52 and they have given me the money back already).

They may cancel your card and issue a new to be safe, so be prepared for a little inconvenience!

Trevor

Reaction score
Drat just remember i paid by debit card for it, means i cant get any refund. I now officially hate everything connected with microland technology

Reaction score
Take whoever you can to court and sue them... though as a PLC they had limited liability so i dont know what the rules on that are... and i doubt theres a company so to speak that you could actually sue... hmm

Write a letter to the owner..!

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

First post.

Wish I had looked at this site prior to ordering on the 2nd January 2005.

LIke someone else I ordered a new case, Thermaltake Sviking at just over £68.

Heard nothing then got the letter saying the had filed for Bankcruptcy.

B*****ds, I have spoken with the Citz. advice Bur. and they reckon the credit card company won't pay anything under £100. But I have contacted them.

I however went onto the site on the 8th Jan 2005, the day I recevied the letterand it was still taking orders, this is an offence as an order accepted then would be when they knew they were going into liquidation. I also spoke to GMP, who stated I had to go into a local Police Station and give a statement to be forwarded onto them.

I myself have previously been attached to the Fraud Squad in Scotland and spoke to a friend. With the info I had he said it would be unlikely that anything would be done.

But with all the complaints on here, I certainly think they should be looking at them.

For those that contacted Trading Standards, wot were they saying ?

Surely they have some responsiblility ?

Richy

Reaction score
Richy said:
For those that contacted Trading Standards, wot were they saying ?
Surely they have some responsiblility ?
Richy
The simplae answer is they do and they don't!

Firstly, if they get enough calls about the company directly then they'll investigate (if they're not already doing so!)
Secondly, it's your local TS that is responsible...

So
1. Call Stockport TS
2. Call your local TS

Reaction score
Thanks for that.

Still desperate to get me case though , has anyone dealt with C & C Central ?

If so are they ok to order from ?

thanks in advance.

Richy

Reaction score
OH MINT,

i ordered a £900 pc on the 16th november and GOT on the 10th december.
icon7.gif

May be so, i've had nothing but problems with this pc and thought it was just a friday afternoon one. i've been tring to contact them for ages and only just found out about this company going under. MINT
icon8.gif

gess its off to tradinfg standards, see what they say!

one other thing do i keep an even closer eye on my credit card or what!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Can someone please send me a list of the directors numbers or a contact to the manchester fraud thing because i dont want to let this one go. I, as im sure many other too, have lost a substantial amount of money due to their unethical and illegal practices and want to make sure that something is done so that it doesnt happen again to others

Reaction score
jgibaud said:
Can someone please send me a list of the directors numbers or a contact to the manchester fraud thing because i dont want to let this one go. I, as im sure many other too, have lost a substantial amount of money due to their unethical and illegal practices and want to make sure that something is done so that it doesnt happen again to others
e-mail me at (e-mail address removed)

also i've just acquired microlandtechnology.me.uk maybe i'll start a group...
(e-mail address removed)

Reaction score
Hello,

Based on the information on this forum I called Unity Business Service Group about Microland.
They are dealing with the insolvency of this company and will have a creditors meeting on 31.1.2005 to start the process of officially.
Basically the rules are: As the company is insolvent, anyone who purchased goods from their website and is owed money is an unsecured creditor. You can bet that there is a long list of secured and unsecured creditors trying to get some money back from Microland. The only way that the creditors can be paid is from the sale of the company's assets. The sale of these assets and the payment of the creditors will be managed by Unity as part of their work.
In all these insolvency cases creditors are paid on a priority basis and unfortunately unsecured creditors like you and me are the lowest of the low.
It is unlikely that unsecured creditors will get anything, if you are lucky a few pence in the pound.
If you want to you can add your name to the list of creditors for the meeting on 31st January by calling Unity and asking for a Creditors letter to be sent to you.

There is not really any point in taking legal action aganist the directors of this company to recover your money. You paid Microland Technology and therefore you must try and recover the money from that company (via the receivers), not the directors. The directors liability is limited to any amount outstanding on share capital.

Insolvency is a complex area and I am not really asn expert but the only silver lining is that the directors may be subject to a disqualification order (i.e. cannot be a director of another company for a number of years). This requires the receivers to send a letter to the Secretary of State reporting the conduct of all directors over the last 3 years of trading. It is up to the Secretary of State to decide if the courts should seek a Disqualification Order.
The more evidence that Unity have of wrongful trading or fraudulent trading the more chance that the directors will be disqualified.
If you want to do something positive it might be worth writing to Unity stating your particular case.

Unity Business Services Group, Clive House, Clive Street, Bolton. BL1 1ET
Tel: +44 (0)1204 395000 Fax: +44 (0)1204 383999

Reaction score
Hi all - allow me to explain as I have experience in these matters

The directors have called meetings of shareholders and creditors to place the company into what is called Creditors Voluntary Liquidation.

The meeting of shareholders will be held first and a liquidator will be appointed. A meeting of creditors will then be held (usually 1/2 an hour later) at which the creditors will

1 have a chance to ask questions of the directors (who are required to attend) with regard to the company's trading and insolvency

2 ratify the appointment of the liquidator or propose and hold a vote for a different liquidator

3 appoint a creditors committee (if required) - this comprises 3 to 5 creditors who sit on a board to assist the liquidator in his duties

4 if no committee is appointed the meeting will be asked to pass other resolutions such as how the liquidator will be paid

All creditors are entitled to attend (or be represented at) the meeting and to vote. Contact Unity for a claim form and a proxy form if you wish to appoint a proxy to represent you at the meeting

Once a liquidator is appointed his (or her) duty is to realise the company's assets and ditribute proceeds to the creditors according to their ranking

Firstly - Secured creditors. Some creditors may have security over some of the company's specific assets e.g the bank may have a mortgage over the premises or asset finance companies may have provided assets on a hire purchase basis. If these assets are sold only those creditors are entitled to the proceeds and only if there is a surplus are any funds from those assets available for the other creditors

Next - preferential creditors have to be paid - this is now mainly the employees' wages and holiday pay

Next - some lenders may have what is called a floating charge over the assets .i.e. they have security over non specific assets. They thus rank ahead of the remaining creditors to receive funds from the sale of the "floating charge" assets.

Finally - the rabble (you and me) - unsecured creditors. We only get anything back once all of the above have been paid. The payment is on the basis of £X split between £y worth of creditors = Z pence in the £ on your debt.

Within 6 months of his appointment the liquidator is obliged to report to the DTI on the directors' conduct prior to liquidation. This report looks at such things as has the company traded whilst insolvent and worsened creditors' positions, has the company taken customers' money for goods it knew it could not supply. If any creditors have infrmation regarding the directors conduct then they should write to the liquidator once one is appointed to voice their concerns and it will be taken into consideration when the report is prepared. The DTI will then consider whether the director is fit to be a director and will take action appropriate to the case. Note it is the DTI and not the liquidator that does this.

Please note that as a limited company the debts are due by the company and not the directors who have no personal liability. There is nothing that you can do now against either the company or the directors. All communication should be through Unity for now and then the liquidator (when appointed) who may well be one of the insolvency practitioners from Unity unless creditors vote otherwise

If you paid by credit card then your card issuer should refund you and will become a creditor in your stead. However, they may not be willing to make the refund until after a liquidator is appointed and you can provide proof of the liquidation. Contact your card issuer for advice.

I hope that this helps. If you have further queries please post here and I will try to help if I can. If you are posting on other threads you may wish to refer them here so that I don't have to post in duplicate and monitor a multitude of threads.

I am owed money by Microland and may well attend the meeting depending on my workload as it will require a whole day.

Finally, remember this is not Unity's fault so if you contact them please be courteous and do not take it out on their staff.

Reaction score
It's always nice to have someone who knows all the fine details about a certain topic post with advice to others who could use it, or would be interested in reading it.

Welcome to PC Review, (Post was VERY interesting, especially to a Business studies student)

Good luck to all that are owed money.

Reaction score
Hello All

My name is Ian Millington. I am a partner in Unity Corporate Recovery & Insolvency and I am the proposed Liquidator, subject to ratification by the creditors meeting to be held on 31 January 2005.

I can confirm that my understanding of the position for consumers who have paid for goods and not received them is as follows:

1 Those who paid by Credit Card should consult their card issuer to enquire whether they are entitled to a refund. The de minimus amount may vary depending upon the terms of issue of the card.

2 Those who paid by debit card, cheque or cash are, as indicated, unsecured creditors of the company. On present information there is unlikely to be a dividend for this class of creditor. It will be necessary for the liquidator to know how many of this type of creditor there are, and how much they are owed. I would ask that anyone suffering in this way notify us by fax on 01204 377530 or rings us for an e-mail address so they can formally notify us.

After the creditors meeting it is likely they will receive a questionnaire asking for further details of their dealings with the company, which will help the liquidator with his investigations.

You will appreciate that due to the public nature of this forum there is a limit to the level of disclosure that I as the proposed liquidator can make, as my primary communication must be with creditors of the company. I hope this post will convey the message that your concerns have been noted, and encourage those who have suffered loss to contact us.

Sincerely

Ian Millington

Partner, Unity Corporate Recovery & Insolvency

Reaction score
Nice to see finaly they have gone out of buisness. but sadly this isnt the end. i hope all that are owed by MT get some kind of satifaction.good luck to you all. the next problem is.........what is stopping them starting under a new name?.

Reaction score
Hi Guys

My wife was once an Insolvency Practitioner (now retired) and I worked for her (lucky me).

There IS one way the Directors can be made personally liable for these debts.

IF they can be shown, by the Liquidator, to have traded whilst knowlingly insolvent, the limited liability of a limited company is lost. So, the more people who show that they had been insolvent for some time before consulting Mr Millington, the more chance you could sue them directly.

If they continued trading after consulting Mr Millington, who clearly advised them to stop trading because they were insolvent, they are in deep smelly brown stuff.

So, Mr Millington, when did they consult you (time and day please)?

And did anyone place an order after this?

Their website stopped taking orders towards the end of Monday 10th, I think.

However, if these guys are crooks (as I suspect they are), all the assets they have the use of (car, house, speedboat, villa, etc) will be nominally 'owned' by third parties (even their living partners or spouses), and suing them will be of no use.

Let us hope that someone decides to find out where they live and ....

Trevor

Reaction score
So if they lost their limited liability, and got the unlimited liability like a sole trader then you could sue them personally, However, i would imagine their other halves would be the legal "owners" of their personal assets, so, what could you do, sue them for the money that you are owed + legal costs + whatever all the hassle was worth. They would have to sell up...! I doubt they would have insurance for being sued would they... Professional Indemnity right? They wouldn't have planned on being sued...!

Ask a Question