xbox

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Despite being a keen PC gamer, I'm thinking of buying an xbox. I don't know anyone who has one, and the only consoles I've really played on before are PS1 and PS2.

I was just wondering if anyone had any opinions on this, as I could do with some advice (ie, how they compare with other consoles, what they are like to play games on, general stuff, etc)!

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Out of all the next gen consoles (Gamcube, PS2 and Xbox) I have to say that the Xbox was my favourtie, mainly because of halo, but the games do run alot smoother on the Xbox and they are alot prettier on the eye. The only gripe about them is the amount of games avalible compared to the PS2.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Xbox is at the moment the best gaming machine. We have one in the house and my son uses it regularly. The new Xbox is going to be called Xbox 360 not sure when it will bw released. If you have any specific questions please ask :)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
thought it was going to be called Xbox 2.... then again i havent been keeping up with the console world lately

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
My thinking was that Xbox prices are likely to drop upon the release of the Xbox 360, thus a poor student like me could afford one! To be honest, I probably won't get a lot of games, and I tend to be quite easy to please in that respect. I'm glad to hear that they have good performance records though, thanks Reef!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Alf said:
thought it was going to be called Xbox 2.... then again i havent been keeping up with the console world lately

Thats what 99.99 % of xbox fans thought :) Sometimes the majority is wrong :D

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Would any of you think there would be any real difference in buying a new Xbox and a second hand one? I'm thinking of getting one from ebay because it is so much cheaper :)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Thats what 99.99 % of xbox fans thought :) Sometimes the majority is wrong :D
Heh, good thing im not a Xbox fan, or i would have looked foolish :p

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
xbox have been introduced with different drives at different times. Three are, Philips, Thompson and Samsung. On the net when my son was researching he found out that the most compatible drive was the Samsung which could play anything you throw at it but the other two were thought to be somewhat tempermental. Our xbox came with the Philips drive and to be honest we have not had any problems. A brand new one nowadays is very competitively priced and possibly will be cheaper as time goes by since the new one is around the corner.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I'll wait and see what price the new ones are when the Xbox 360 comes out then! :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
An X-Box has moving parts - CD drive & hard drive. For the price they cost new, I'd buy a new one. You also get a year's warranty buying new.

If the used X-Box has had a lot of use it's more prone to failure and if it fails, you have no come back if it's a second hand model.

By the way, that's a lot of X's: seXy beX's XboX ;)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Whoo! Elder scrolls: Oblivion is coming out for Xbox 360 and PC! either at the end of the year or early next.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Sexy Bex said:
I'll wait and see what price the new ones are when the Xbox 360 comes out then! :D

That is exactly what I had in mind. Used one is a NO NO as Flops also clearly mentioned it :)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
That is exactly what I had in mind. Used one is a NO NO as Flops also clearly mentioned it :)

Yes he had a good point - I didn't think about guarantees.

I suppose I shouldn't really get one until my exams are over - I fear it could be too distracting! It would be a nice 'post-exam-treat' then! ;)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Wow, really?! wait, isnt that the E3 expo? so chances are that it wont come out that soon.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
But thats not when the console it coming out... its just showing it.

Ask a Question