Gears Of War 4

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
This is a game from Microsoft that they tout as working on Xbox 1/Xbox 1 S/Xbox One X and also PC. The only other games that also work on dual platform - as far as I know - are Forza Horizon 3 and Forza Motorsport 7.

Dual platform games only work on both platforms if you buy the digital version which involves a large download on both PC and console should you choose to take that path. Gears Of War 4 is about 13Gb. Twice. I didn't know this when I paid fifty quid for Forza Horizon 3 and bought a hard copy which means I can't play it on my PC.

But I did buy a digital copy of GOW4 with the specific intention of playing it on the PC. Initially, it worked on the PC and it was fun to play with a mouse and keyboard rather than a game controller as with playing it on the Xbox One S. Then it didn't work on PC, I don't know why.

I done a clean install of Win 10 (dual play MS games only work on PC on Win 10) and it worked again.

And now, for some reason, it doesn't work again. I read online that this problem can be caused by disabling automatic updates, which I'd done, so I enabled automatic updates again. The game still doesn't work on PC. It starts, all the titles come up but when it comes to the screen that gives the option 'Continue' it crashes back to the Win 10 screen.

I've searched online for an answer to this problem and have not been successful and have also noted that there are many like myself with the same problem, probably thousands worldwide, and Microsoft made a statement saying they're aware of the problem and are working on it. Well, so far they don't seem to have had much luck.

I have come to the conclusion that Microsoft are a lying bunch of charlatans who don't give a monkeys about their game playing customers and I am sick of them. They say some of their games are playable on both Xbox One and PC but restrict these games to Windows 10 on the PC, desperately trying to wean people off Windows 7 and earlier versions of their OS.

But I reckon it's a false promise and I have completely lost what little faith I had with Microsoft. I will no more pay £50 (or more) for one of their dual platform games and I have uninstalled the 13Gb of GOW4 data from my PC and I have given up trying to play these games on PC. Microsoft can go **** themselves.

There, rant over, but it IS very disappointing.

As a footnote, a friend told me he recently changed to a seventh generation Intel i3 Kaby Lake 4 core 3.9Ghz processor based build and installed Windows Seven and also a Linux Distro on the same machine. In Windows Seven he keeps getting a popup from Microsoft telling him the processor is not supported by Win 7 and therefore he won't be able to load any updates. He can't disable this popup window, apparently. The Linux Distro runs without any problems at all on the same machine.

Microsoft? Bullies? Dictators? Greedy?

Seriously, if it wasn't for games, I would really ditch Microsoft.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... if it wasn't for games, I would really ditch Microsoft.

gamer.gif

Ask a Question