Xbox Series X anomaly (sort of)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
After my recent spate of rare good fortune (read: I was given some work to do) I thought I'd upgrade my Xbox One S to a Series X console which I figure will probably be the last console I buy. Having said that - who knows? If Microsoft ever release an Xbox that comes with a VR headset no bigger than a pair of motor cycle goggles then....

I traded in my old console at a branch of the GAME store who gave me the princely sum of £72 off of the £449 cost of the new console. I got a disk copy of the new Saints Row with it which imo isn't much good but it was the best of the games they offered.

I had intended to buy a copy of the One Piece Odyssey game and and Elite Mk 2 controller with the Series X console but none were in stock so I suppose I saved a few bob. I'll see how I get on with the new supplied controller before deciding to eventually purchase the Elite Controller or not.

I no longer have a motor so after lugging my new toy home on the bus I eagerly set it up and plugged in Saints Row and - nothing. It seems the console disc player wouldn't recognise any discs at all. I tried everything couple of hard resets and everything else I found on the net worth trying but had no luck.

I was therefore resigned to boxing up the console and taking it back for an exchange but when I lifted up the console I noticed 4 small feet on the top of it. Which made me figure that the console was in fact upside down. I thought 'I wonder if...' and I flipped the console over, stuck in a disk and - success! It worked. This saved me a couple of hours travelling and also a lot of embarrassment if I had returned a console to the shop that worked perfectly well.

So today I learnt that Xbox Series X consoles do not work with discs when they are upside down. Something new every day, as they say.

Tomorrow Hogwarts Legacy is released which I fancy and the cheapest I've seen it for Xbox is at HMV for £52 so I'll probably buy it for my new console.

I haven't been on the forum much lately but I can say with some certainty that I'm still alive and kicking, my main medical concern at the moment is dental work, just had six implants but won't bore you with that ;)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Aww @floppybootstomp, I'm glad you were able to sort the problem with your new Xbox. Hope it gives you many hours of enjoyment and fun.

Wow! Six dental implants, how did that go? I have heard that they can be really good, but would be interested to hear your experiences. I have had root canal work and a couple of crowns in the past, but not needed to consider any implants, so far. Did you have to spend a long time in the dentist's chair? Hope they are solving some problems for you.

It's good to see you on the Forum again, take care. :cheers:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hahaha, that really made me laugh out loud!!! Heard good things about Hogarts Legacy from a mate who is currently playing it :).

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Update: Hogwarts Legacy is very enjoyable.

One Piece: Odyssey is a pile of poo poo - avoid.

Forza Horizon 5/Hot Wheels is very good but more difficult than its predecessors (I bought this one on download so it may be playable on PC as well - haven't tried it yet).

As for the new Xbox console - crisper graphics, faster loading times on Series X configured games but that, really, is about it.

Ask a Question