Suggestions for wireless network

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Update:

Received replacement wifi card from Aria yesterday. It arrived around 11am.

It's now working in my socket A machine with the Windows XP hard disk.

I have yet to try to set up the wireless network on that machine using my Win98 & PC Linux OS 2007 hard disks, should be interesting.

That was my first experience of an rma with Aria and I have to say I'm impressed. It took three working days :thumb:

I still don't know whether or not they've refunded postage (aprox £2.50) to my Credit Card for the return, I shall await my next Credit Card statement to see.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I 'll be asking you for pointers when you have wireless running on your PC Linux.

happywave.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Good stuff Flops, glad you are up and running :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
A little update.

I have four machines, two with XP Pro, one with Vista and the fourth uses different hard disks for (atm) Win XP; PC Linux OS and Win 98.

When I use XP on the 4th machine the whole network works, all machines talk to each other and I can access the Internet ok.

I'm very pleased with the setup, works a lot better than I expected :thumb:

When I use Win 98 on the 4th machine I can use the network but I cannot access the Internet at all. I think it's because the security setting I made - PSK2 - can't be used by Win 98. I can't think of any other explanation.

I haven't tried the wireless network in Linux yet. I shall, eventually, try to setup the wireless network in PC Linux OS 2007 and I've been hearing good things about Linux Mint so I shall try that Distro as well.

Watch this space :)

Now then, a few questions.

Sometimes I see other networks on the Linksys software monitor apart from my own. I would assume this is somebody else's wireless machine in a nearby building - correct?

I also notice that for me to access that network I need their pass code. Is this true in reverse - they can't access my network?

I don't want anybody else using up my bandwidth so how secure am I?

I also refer to what Ian said in an earlier post about setting up Mac protocols or something as a security measure.

I have not a clue how to do this or know what it means so would some kind soul out there give an explanation and perhaps talk me through it? I would be very grateful :)

The weakest signal I'm getting on this network is 92% in one of the bedrooms but that's still strong enough to play CoD4 online flawlessly :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Some pix:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 186
  • 0002.jpg
    0002.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 0004.jpg
    0004.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 160

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Glad it is up and running OK :thumb: That software looks pretty nifty too :)

floppybootstomp said:
Sometimes I see other networks on the Linksys software monitor apart from my own. I would assume this is somebody else's wireless machine in a nearby building - correct?

Yep, I see tons of others in my wireless list for other flats.

floppybootstomp said:
I also notice that for me to access that network I need their pass code. Is this true in reverse - they can't access my network?

As long as you have a WEP/PSK/PSK2 key then they need this code, and it reakons you have PSK2 enabled :thumb: Just make sure you may the key a reasonable number of characters.

floppybootstomp said:

As long as PSK2 is enabled, pretty darn secure
nod.gif

floppybootstomp said:
I also refer to what Ian said in an earlier post about setting up Mac protocols or something as a security measure.

You can restrict most routers to only allow certain MAC addresses connect, but I don't know how you'd do this on a linksys. If you browse the web-admin interface of the router it should have something there or in the manual, and will be under one of the security/firewall menus.

Edit: I had a google and found this which might be of use : http://www1.linksys.com/support/tro...ess_router_config/wireless_mac_filtering.html

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:

yes this would be someone close by with a wireless network. you might find different ones all the time.

depends on how you have set up your wireless network but yes there's a good chance that they can see your wireless network as well and would need a pass code to connect. But they can see your SSID - such as LINKYSYS4569 or SKY18383. u could turn off your broadcast SSID which would mean the network is not detectable by any device that is trying to connect for the first time. This wouldn't affect any devices that currently connect to the network.

Not very secure at all!

well you've got three main types of wireless encryption
WEP
WPA and WPA2
if you are using WEP you are very vunerable. This can be hacked by a 6 year old in hours. You might as well have no encryption at all.
WPA I know is a little difficult as for WPA2 that's something im not familiar with.
Stick to WPA if you can do. WPA2 if you got it..

Wired networking is the most secure. You are always suspect to interceptions with a wireless network.

I have not a clue how to do this or know what it means so would some kind soul out there give an explanation and perhaps talk me through it? I would be very grateful :)

Well this is MAC address assignment basically means that every device (computer) that is connected to the wireless router has a MAC assigned to the router. Meaning if I came outside your house and tried to connect with your CORRECT keycode I wouldn't be able to connect because a setting in your router doesn't match up with my MAC address. This would mean that your router would not assign me an IP address hence I won't be connected.

This is a good idea but be warned a good hacker will be able to use software that can sniff packets which would be able to tell the MAC address of each machine. Then it's a 2 minute matter of changing my MAC address so it matches your machine. With your code cracked and MAC found out I would be in instantly.
That's why I don't believe that MAC assigning is so wonderful.

The weakest signal I'm getting on this network is 92% in one of the bedrooms but that's still strong enough to play CoD4 online flawlessly :thumb:

Closed doors open doors, telephone signals, tv signals are all part of interferences to wireless networking.

Hope that answers some of your questions Flopps. The key here is NOT to share any folders with private or delicate information. If you do share folders with this information be sure to turn off sharing once finished. Keep changing your encryption key too.

Enjoy :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ian says I'm darn secure, psd99 says I'm not very secure at all :confused:

(I think I know which opinion I'm going to share ;) )

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Like PSD says WEP is definitely not secure. With WPA2 and a good random passkey you'd need someone very very determined to gain access to the network. As long as you don't have anything important stored in a shared folder, I don't think you've got much to worry about IMO.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Ian says I'm darn secure, psd99 says I'm not very secure at all :confused:

(I think I know which opinion I'm going to share ;) )

lol ahh don't worry Flopps if you don't share all of your personal erotic pictures you'll be fine! :)

make it WPA - nice long complicated key.
turn off SSID broadcast
assign mac addresses

that's the best you can do to secure yourself.

Reaction score
All of them are pretty easy to hack if you know how.....I personaly don't get involved in that sort of thing, but I have watched guys do it withing 10 minutes..

Reaction score
ahh don't be too disheartened flopps! :) It's all new technology for you it'll be fun to play around with.

One day I will design my own house and i'll make the network wired all over the house I still think wired networking rules!

Ask a Question