Ethernet to wireless

Reaction score
Looking for help here - I only know enough to dangerous

My Broadband router is in the attic connected to the master telephone socket, it has three cable outlet connections to upstairs rooms and which work fine.

I want to move the third PC to a more remote location in the house, too far to connect directly to the modem. I fear it will be too far to replace the exsisting router with a wireless one. Is there any device which I can connect to the exsisting third location to generate a wireless signal to the remote location. I assume a second wireless router in tandem won't work as it will require a ADSL input whereas it is only the ethernet connection which is available at this point. In other words I need an ethernet to wireless broadband signal device.

Does this make sense - can anyone recommend what that would be?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/418/1

You could use the above method but you will need to have two pc's switched on.

http://www.faculty-x.net/?gclid=CJ76vdSQ9ZUCFQ6S1QodhXRqhg

You could try using the Home Plug method which uses your existing household wiring circuit, this would not be a wireless network but would do the job possibly.

I'm sure there are even more solutions to your problem aswell.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
You could try using the Home Plug method which uses your existing household wiring circuit, this would not be a wireless network but would do the job possibly.

I'm sure there are even more solutions to your problem aswell.

happywave.gif

As Ababrbarian has pointed out you could use the home plug optioon, this is probably the easiest way to do it, and quickest..

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
You might be surprised how far a wireless signal will carry. I can pick up signals from my neighbour's house, which is not adjoining mine. A decent wireless router should cover your whole house (unless of course you live in a palace :D )

Reaction score
The only other way to do it would be with 2 wireless access points, basically get one and hook it up to your router and then connect the other one down where you want it and set it up to connect to the original, in effect extending the network. Cheers.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
They do homeplugs that do wireless too :nod:

Ask a Question