WiFi Extenders - any opinions?

Reaction score
Hi chaps
Are there any opinions for best wireless extenders? I bought 2 NETGEAR EX2700-100 a while ago (I have used Netgear before until they fail) and for a while they were okay but now periodically have times where iPads, iPhones etc., drop the connection and when re connected have full strength/signal but websites do not load. They definitely seem glitchy.
For info I have a Plusnet (Thomson) wireless router and 2 mains plug extenders which is the sort I need for house layout. They seem to vary in price quite a bit so I wasn't sure if that reflected performance etc.
Thanks for any advice

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
There are a few ways to do this.

You could use another router that acts as a 'repeater' and bridge them together to extend the range.
Or you could invest in the new 'Mesh' style AP's.
Or you could use powerline adaptors that have WiFi built in. (edit: ah this is what you've already tried)

Or you could just get a better router, I've used the PN router (the one that looks like the BT Hub) and the wireless on it is crap and I doubt any of the others are any better. Sorry to be blunt.

How big is your house and what kind of are do you need to cover?

It all really depends on your budget, time, knowledge etc. :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It's probably an Apply thing :D

get a long ethernet cable, cover cable in black & yellow tape, plug it in device, use as many cables as necessary ... or ... knock all the walls down

on a more serious note, see above post :nod:

Reaction score
Yes, thanks V_R.
I already have a fairly decent Netgear router used as a repeater plus one NG Extender downstairs in a different room and another one upstairs. Our house is a bit meandering, but I'm not familiar with the Mesh AP's you mention. I agree about the PS router, what decent router would you recommend by the way?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yes, thanks V_R.
I already have a fairly decent Netgear router used as a repeater plus one NG Extender downstairs in a different room and another one upstairs. Our house is a bit meandering, but I'm not familiar with the Mesh AP's you mention. I agree about the PS router, what decent router would you recommend by the way?

Depends on what you want to spend, what kind of connection you have (ADSL, VDSL, Cable?) and what you want it to do. But as a general rule I'd say look at Netgear, Asus, Ubiquiti etc, and in general, you get what you pay for.

Ask a Question