Sluggish Alexa Response

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've got a few Echo dots and Echo show devices around the house, but I've noticed for a while now that some of the units seem really sluggish. My girlfriends will reply with a second or two, whereas mine will take about 4/5 seconds.

It's not the WiFi signal strength, as I can see they're connected with a good signal. I do have a lot of integrations (via Home Assistant), so I wonder if that's why it's slower.

Any thoughts on this one? I had a search but only came up with general troubleshooting tips which I tried long ago (hard resetting units, checking wifi strength, etc...).

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I've got a dot in the bedroom and find it's ok most of the time, but it does seem to have moments. I've read on several occasions people saying they need to power cycle them regularly.
Strangely the flex in the hall is good as gold.

On an unrelated note, I do find I have to raise my voice more for Alexa than I do for the Google devices I have....

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'll power cycle them in the morning for the next week out of curiosity to see if it helps. It behaved last night, but I just know in the next few days it'll take ages to react.

Oddly, the Alexa in the kitchen responds really well to a 4 year olds mispronunciation, but often misunderstands me :lol: .

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I have a dot in my bedroom and a tablet (Fire HD 10) from 2017 and they both seem to work ok and I do not have any delay. One thing I would like to add here is that both the devices in my bedroom (the dot and tablet) are on a reserved IP if that makes any sense. I am able to do that with my Linksys wifi router app on the computer and also via the Linksys app on my iPhone.

I also have one in my car which is Auto Echo, that thing is a real pain, half of the time it does not even connect to the phone, keeps saying "Echo auto is trying to connect to your phone. I have had to reinstall the software many times. As a result of this, I have almost stopped using it and instead rely on Siri and Google if need be in the car. Both always work without any issues whatsoever. The only time I make sure it is connected is when I go on a long drive somewhere and need my music collection via Amazon HD music to be available while driving.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I have similar frustrations with my Echo auto, although I think it my case it's coming from the phone side of things - I need to work on configuring it better.

I too run fixed IPs for almost every device in the house, makes it so much easier to connect to hardware when I can remember it's IP :lol: .

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
On the network side of things I keep all my IoT devices on my 2.4 band and have my SSID's separate, just seems to behave better that way. My OG Google Home Mini tought me that!

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
She sounds like me first thing in the morning, takes 4 or 5 seconds to come too and even then doesn't respond straight away
:lol:

Ask a Question