HASS.io Home Automation

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Are there any users of HASS.io here?

It's home automation software that you can set up within Linux or on a Raspberry Pi. It will then scan and detect equipment that it can control (i.e. Sonos, Media Servers, etc...), integrate with smart speakers (Echo/Alexa) and then you can add additional configuration data to control smart switches and tons of other things.

I'm testing it out at the moment, and after a rough start, it seems to be working well :). We've not got an Echo/Alexa unit, but I've been able to get the sonos to act as a notification system that works with other devices in our house. If you set up an MQTT server, there are also plenty of ways to integrate lots of other electronics or homebrew devices.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I was reading about this the other day as it happens, Looks like it could be very good.

i need to do some reading up on all this I feel like I'm getting left behind!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score

I'm going to try building a "local" version, similar to how Alexa/Echo work. It just creeps me out having microphones listening all the time (1984 and all that). That said, I've got a phone with a microphone and camera on me at all time :lol:.

There's an AI voice platform which will run on my NAS (in Docker) that looks really clever and will integrate with HASS.io:

https://snips.ai

I'll probably work on the voice part last of all - I'm currently working on the lighting system and a wifi pond temperature/level sensor. In a few weeks I'm hoping it'll be mostly up and running :).

I was reading about this the other day as it happens, Looks like it could be very good.

i need to do some reading up on all this I feel like I'm getting left behind!

It's quite an interesting time to jump onboard with home automation - HASS.io seems to be developing at a breakneck pace, with releases all the time. However, it does have a learning curve that is off-putting for the first hour or so. If you've got a Raspberry Pi as a server, it's much more simple as there are pre-built images that will run on one, containing an easy way to manage plugins.

Ask a Question