Google Home reviewed

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Google Home was first announced in May this year, and it was showcased in more detail a month ago. If you've not heard of Google Home before, essentially it is a voice-controlled smart speaker. It is very similar to the Amazon Echo which was released recently. The device will be available to customers in the USA with effect from tomorrow, and ARS Technica has been taking a look:

A Google product makes sense in this area. A voice appliance is, basically, a search engine. You give it some kind of input, and its job is to search through tons of content and third-party integrations to pick out the correct result. It's the same kind of voice recognition and natural language processing technology that Google has been working on for years at Google.com, on Android, and in the Google app.

Google Home is packing Google's usual "OK Google" voice system, which has recently been upgraded and rebranded as the "Google Assistant." You'll also get a heavy dose of Chromecast compatibility and media playback via the built-in speaker system. At $129, it's $50 cheaper than the Amazon Echo. If you want to drop the cash on multiple Google Homes, they're also designed to seamlessly mesh together, both in audio playback and voice command response.

Google-Home.jpg

Unfortunately there is currently no UK release date or price, but Google is expected to set the price lower than the Amazon Echo (as it has done in the US) which is currently £149.99.

Read the full review at ARS Technica.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up, Becky.:)

I think I can probably live without this. :D

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I think I can probably live without this. :D

That's what a lot of people said about mobile phones... ;)

Agreed re the 1984 vibe. I don't like the thought that it could be picking up conversations, but hopefully it won't be pumping out propaganda!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I live without a lot ... this'll be no exception. :)

Ask a Question