Voice assistants - Google Home, Amazon Echo etc

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Since I started hearing about the new breed of voice assistants I've been largely sceptical - especially with all the stuff in the news recently about privacy (or lack of). To me they seemed a little like Orwell's 1984, where someone is always listening in.

Just been reading this review and it is changing my opinion somewhat.

I got a Google Home and finally understand the future of computing

I thought Home would be a gimmick, but a few weeks after launch and we’re using it all day at home for music, news and lots of other stuff. It feels like a glimpse of the future, and for the first time I’m really convinced voice assistants could take off. Google Home truly makes Siri look like a toy.

Home is one of my favorite purchases of the year — you won’t regret it if you’re interested in dipping your toes in the smart home world, and it’s of such a high standard that it feels like Google is playing in Apple’s league for the first time.

Everything ‘just works’ and you feel like you’ve got a Star Trek-style communicator everywhere in your home. If it keeps getting better, I can say for sure that I want one of these in every room of my home — we’re really living in the future.

I wonder if this really is the future? Will we all have one in a few years and look back and laugh at our former suspicion? I kinda like the sound of having a "Star Trek-style communicator"! :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I'm actually tempted by a GHome, I'd feel far more comfatable talking to it at home rather than my phone or watch in public - I always feel daft doing that! :D

Also, the future is now :D

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Haha, that's hilarious! :lol:

Are you thinking about getting Google Home then?

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I've had a Voice Assistant at home for years.

She's called Kathy and she always picks up every utterance I make, even the ones she's not supposed to hear. She always answers my questions but frequently gives me orders too. :D

Yet another piece of equipment at home? No thanks!

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
C6PJaQPVAAA8QBq.jpg

https://xkcd.com/1807/

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ask a Question