ESP8266 IoT

Discussion in 'Coding' started by Ian, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Ian

Ian Administrator

I've recently started to get back in to doing electronics work, and things have changed so much from 10 years ago for the hobbyist. I bought an ESP8266 development board, a little device that contains a wi-fi chip, processor, 4MB memory and lots of GPIO pins... it cost me about £2.50 :eek:.

This tiny little device can be programmed just like an Arduino, but it has the ability to interconnect with other things thanks to the onboard wi-fi. In under an hour, it was possible to build a mini-webserver that tells me the temperature and humidity in the garage. Unbelievable to think that this cost me about £5 in parts.

If you're a novice coder and enjoy tinkering with electronics, I can highly recommend buying an ESP8266 and tinkering with Arduino. There are tons of interesting projects out there that are fully documented, on places like hackster.io or hackaday.com

I've bought a couple more of these devices in the past week, which I'm using to automate parts of our home as much as possible :thumb:.

Ian, Oct 12, 2017
    EvanDavis likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Ian

V_R ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Moderator

That's very cool. What other plans do you have for them?

V_R, Oct 12, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. Ian

Ian Administrator

So far, I've got 3 devices and my plans are:
    • Pond water level/temperature datalogger. Sometimes the pond level drops a lot (on a windy day), so I wanted to have a way I could be alerted on my phone. Knowing the temperature should also give me a good idea of what I should be feeding the fish. This is pretty much ready to go, once a mini float switch arrives and I can design the enclosure (it uses a solar panel and rechargeable battery).
    • Garage temperature, water leak detector and garage door relay. We've had a couple of leaks in the garage, one of which I didn't know about for a couple of days - so I'm putting a leak detector there. As there are loads of GPIO pins available, I thought I may as well have a temperature module on the board, as they only cost pennies. I'm also going to add a relay to control the garage door opener.
    • LED strip lights controlled via HASS.io (Home assistant software).
    I've been ordering parts from AliExpress.com as they're so cheap - for about £25 I've got a ton of parts that will build all the above and plenty more.

Ian, Oct 12, 2017
    V_R and EvanDavis like this.
    1. Advertisements