Cheap Smart Lighting Strips

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've been keen on getting some smart lighting for quite some time, as it's quite fun for parties to have RGB lights to mess around with.

I bought some really cheap RGB LED strips (~£10 from Amazon), plus an H801 controller from Aliexpress (~£5). With a little work, I've got a remote control smart lighting setup for next to nothing :D. I re-flashed the firmware of the H801 controller to use "Espurna" (https://github.com/xoseperez/espurna) and it means I can integrate it with most home automation software now.

The LED strip did come with an IR controller, which we used for a while - but this means that the lighting strip can't be controlled via a phone or other software.

It's not as easy to set up, nor as high quality as Philips Hue - but it's a fraction of the price and a lot of fun. If you're in the market to dabble, its a good way to test it out :).

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Would this work with a Hue bridge? I really want a Hue strip but the price is ridiculous!

Best thing about smart lighting is having it come on when you get home. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Would this work with a Hue bridge? I really want a Hue strip but the price is ridiculous!

Best thing about smart lighting is having it come on when you get home. :)

I'm not sure if it could be made to work with a hue bridge, although there may be a way to do this via another type of firmware (I don't think Espurna can). I've got ours set up to appear as Hue lights (to work with Logitech Harmony), but that's via "Hass.io" and we have no bridge device (just emulated).

How long would this take to print?!

Not too long, a couple of hours maybe. I'm waiting for a heated bed replacement atm (should be dispatched in mid Feb, I hope), but I'm happy to print one and stick it in the post for you if you want :).

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Cheers chaps. :)

Not too long, a couple of hours maybe. I'm waiting for a heated bed replacement atm (should be dispatched in mid Feb, I hope), but I'm happy to print one and stick it in the post for you if you want :).

Thanks for the offer! I may just have to take you up on that! But I'll happily pay for postage and materials etc. :)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I have to say, I was in two minds about the strips, but it looks fantastic when they're all on. They're hidden anyway, so it doesn't matter that they're a bit industrial looking.

Oh and has he told you we have a party button?! We have a party button. Like Austin Powers :lol:

:dance:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Nice! where abouts did you fit them?

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
They're on top of the kitchen cabinets (so the light is reflected off the wall and ceiling) and behind our alcohol cabinet (which is inside a blocked up fireplace nook). You can't tell anything is there, until suddenly BAM! everything's purple :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Love it, sounds great,

Thats my plan too, I'd love to do above, middle and plinth but not at the price of the Hue strips... :cry:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'll snap a photo in a bit :).

Thanks for the offer! I may just have to take you up on that! But I'll happily pay for postage and materials etc.

Don't worry about that, I'll let you know once the heated bed arrives and I'll get one printed :thumb:.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
You are too kind. But I must at least pay the bloody postage! :lol:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Here's a quick shot I took a little earlier :). Excuse the mess on top!

20180208_165710.jpg

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Love it, makes it a nice feature of the room I bet. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
How long would this take to print?!
The new heatbed arrives on Monday (hopefully), so lemme know which switch version you want and I'll get it printed for you :D.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Thank you Ian, you are very kind. I shall let you know. :)

Ask a Question