Smart watch with ECG or Blood Pressure Monitor?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Has anyone here got a smart watch with ECG built-in?

I was doing a bit of reading to see what newer smart watches can do, as I've only got a cheap Mi Band 4 to keep track of my runs. I've got no complaints with it, so likely won't change for a while - but it's nice to see what new devices can do :).

It looks like new smart watches can do o2 saturation, ECG readings and some even claim to measure blood pressure :eek:. Has anyone got one of these all singing, all dancing ones? If so, what do you think of it and does it seem like the readings are reliable?

I don't know what use an ECG would be for most people, but it's damn clever nevertheless. I would be interested in a smart watch that does blood pressure readings though, as it's a nice thing to keep an eye on.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I'd like to know how they fit a BP machine into a watch ... does it come with an armband that plug into the watch, and pumps it up?? as for ECG, there are at least 6/8/10 cables (can't remember how many)

If such a device exists, I want one on the NHS. :D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
According to my doctor, the BP taken from the wrist is not as accurate as it is from the upper arm and advised me not to rely on it. I had purchased an Omron brand for this purpose. ECG is a lot more complicated than BP so I have my doubts as of now from the first models. I would not volunteer to be a guinea pig again. :D

819CUp5IvML._SX400_.jpg

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I can't see how there would be any accuracy whatsoever in BP readings from a watch.. Traditional BP machines rely on pumping up the pressure till the circulation stops and then gradually lowering it till the circulation resumes. Wrist machines do the same but are nowhere near as accurate as the upper arm ones. Not sure of the technology in watches but I'm sure it will be no more than a guesstimate.

As for the ECG, it's possible to get a very basic recording with just the four limb leads but again I can't see how a watch could take a reading at all. If I felt really ill then I would want a "proper" ECG.

I'm sure it's just a gimmick. I remember when the early digital watches appeared. We all bought one and thought that they were great with their stopwatch, countdown timer and other functions but after 12 months I realised that all these extras were not being used and I only ever used the watch to tell the time ! I soon went back to a simple watch and that is what I have now - no extras whatsoever.

I will not be buying one. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, I'm also puzzled as to how they'll get accurate readings without a cuff for BP readings... but from what I can tell it just uses some sort of chip on the back of the watch. Also sceptical, but intrigued!

Ask a Question