Your top 25 Music Albums

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Wanna play? :)

Have a think, list yours here.

Here's mine, but it does shift a bit.

I listed this lot straight off the top of my head, will probably disagree with the choice tomorrow in favour of others but nevertheless all those listed are albums I never grow tired of. In no order of preference:

1) Bat Chain Puller – Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band

I've been a fan since I was 17 years old and this is my favourite album of his. Opening track is my forum name.

2) Revolver – The Beatles

Released the year England won the world cup, this album made a huge impact on me, ingrained in my conciousness, groundbreaking.

3) Let It Bleed – The Rolling Stones

The middle album from the Stones at their peak, was a hard choice for me between this, Beggars Banquet and Sticky Fingers.

4) I Feel Like I’m Fixing To Die – Country Joe & The Fish

In my first job there was this other guy working with me whose father was an Ambassador for the Goverment and he lived in Queens Gate, Knightsbridge. What the hell he was doing working as a clerk at Freemans Mail order company in Clapham I shall never know.

He lent me this album and also Safe As Milk by Captain Beefheart, which was my introduction to more leftfield music and more importantly - Beefheart. I just love it. It is of it's time, conjures up visions of kaftans and the smell of incense but I don't care.

5) Best Of – James

I first saw James at Glastonbury on one of the lesser stages in 1983 and remarked to my wife-to-be 'I think they'll make it one day'. Well it took them twenty-odd years but they did eventually. Just a collection of superbly crafted and emotional songs.

6) Vision Thing – Sisters Of Mercy

At the time it seemed dark and sinister, now it just sounds like a well put together Goth-Rock album. Whatever happened to Andrew Eldritch?

7) Astral Weeks – Van Morrison

Timeless. Unique. Moving. And it has Danny Thompson on bass.

8) What We Did On Our Holidays – Fairport Convention

I'm a lifelong fan of fairport Convention and this, to me, was their finest hour. Moving, fun, makes me smile.

9) Zuma – Neil Young

I've always preferred the rockier side of Neil Young and this album contains 'Cortez The Killer' and there's not a duff track on it. Was a close call between this album and 'Ragged Glory' for me to include here.

10) Hot Rats – Frank Zappa

There was this party, this was playing constantly, we were all tripping and we found these dry powder paints and we all painted our clothes with them. Strange days indeed. Great instrumentals and Willie The Pimp features Beefheart.

And yes, LSD does mess your head up, highly overated, I mean, just listen to my ramblings, lol, so my advice would be not to do it.

11) Rain Dogs – Tom Waits

If ever an album moved me profoundly, this is it. At each play it conjures up a hundred and one different visions. Play it back to back with Swordfishtrombones.

12) 3 + 3 –Isley Brothers

I didn't actually discover this until two years after it was released. I play this at least once a week, my only complaint is that it's too short. A seamless album of classy musicianship and soul.

13) Tres Hombres – ZZ Top

From before they went silly, this is my fave. Conjures up visions of guns, sun, highways, beer and mescalin.

14) Pretzel Logic – Steely Dan

Another one ingrained in my conciousness, at each play I still marvel at how two guys could be so original and creative.

15) Final Straw – Snow Patrol

A classy collection of songs, I don't tire of this.

16) It’s Too Late To Stop Now (Live) – Van Morrison

Possibly my favourite live album ever, everything is in perfect sync, from the ad-lib singing to a very very tight backing band infused with soul.

17) Seconds Out (Live) – Genesis

I'm not ashamed, I admit I like Genesis and this album is, um - excitable. I saw a show on this tour at Earls Court and I still think it was possibly the best live show I've ever seen, first time I saw a big laser show.

Me mate Arthur was on security and me and 1st wife had seats right at the back. Arthur got us seats five rows from the front cos Susan George and hubby never showed up and we got their 4 bottles of complimentary wine as well. Superb. Thank you Arthur.

18) Comfort Eagle – Cake

Quirky, rocking, moving, orginal, thought-provoking, fun. Dave The Bass introduced me to this and I think it's great.

19) 96 Degrees In The Shade – Third World

Not quite reggae but a brilliant collection of songs with, at times, disturbing lyrics but which nevertheless takes your minds eye to the West Indies and long sandy peaches fringed with palm trees.

20) The Autumn Stone – Small Faces

An underated band who made some timeless and original - and very very English - music. If you're not overly familiar with this band there are songs on here that may surprise you. I worked with Steve Marriot at two gigs in the eighties (I was DJ-ing the venues) and he came across as a very nice fella, RIP Steve.

21) Seventh Sojourn – Moody Blues

This always reminds me of the several young ladies I made aquaintances with during a working holiday in Cornwall (Watergate Bay & Newquay) circa '74 and as such has nothing but fond memories for me. Perhaps a little syrupy and sentimental, I don't care, I love it.

22) Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness – Smashing Pumpkins

I'm using those words 'Unique' & 'Original' a fair bit but they both apply here. And this album rocks. Just a shame Billy Corgan eventually turned into a complete idiot.

23) Dusty In Memphis – Dusty Springfield

I'm a lifelong fan of Dusty and this album is Caviar; Remy Martin; Champagne; Rolls Royce; The Ritz - you get my meaning? Classy collection of soulful songs.

24) La Vallee Obscured By Clouds – Pink Floyd

In my opinion their best album by far. I don't think they were trying too hard with this film soundtrack but to me this was Floyd at their creative peak. The next album they released was Dark Side...

25) New Adventures In Hi Fi - REM

Not the most obvious choice of REM albums to select as my fave, it being a collection of demos, rehearsals and outtakes and also the fact that when it was released I had just realised my marriage was all but over but I'm still very fond of this one. Some excellent songs here and relatively unknown amongst casual listeners.

Reaction score
Here's my top 25. Like yours, mine shifts quite a bit to....

1. Judas Priest - British Steel
2. Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
3. Slayer - South of Heaven
4. Suicidle Tendencies - Suicidal Tendencies
5. Slipknot - 9.0 Live
6. Sepultura - Chaos
7. Fudge Tunnel - Hate Songs in E minor
8. AFI _ December Underground
9. Cinderella _ Come With US
10. Creed - My Own Prison
11. U2 - War
12. U2 - The Joshua Tree
13. Dashboard Confessional - Swiss Army Romance
14. Edie Brickell - Shooting Rubber Bands At The Stars
15. Foo Fighters - Color and Shape
16. Motley Crue - Shout at the devil
17. Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
18. Primal Scream - Evil Heart
19. Skinny Puppy - To dark Park
20. Tom Waits - Blood Money
21. Ween - White Pepper
22. White Zombie - La Sexorcisto Devil Music Vol. 1
23. Throbbing Gristle - DOA
24. Nail Bomb - Point Blank
25. The Cure - Disintergration

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for replying Mr Mad, I do love seeing what other people like.

An interesting choice you have there, I think Edie Brickell rests uneasy against her stablemates, lol

I'm familiar with most of your choices but not all.

I have quite a few Suicidal Tendencies promo vinyl 12"-er's, their record company were heavily promoting them back in the day, and I featured them in the charts I had published in several music magazines but they never did make it. Shame.

For my own choice, a few almost made it into my chart - U2, John Martyn and The Doors, but no.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Neat tunes there guys :thumb:

Only really do tracks. So can't post about albums. Nice to see what folk like though.

happywave.gif

Ask a Question