NPR music station.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
https://www.npr.org/music/

I stumbled across this radio site by accident and found this list of 150 greatest albums which I thought was rather neat.

Turning The Tables: The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women (As Chosen By You)

The original list of 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women, assembled by a committee of nearly 50 NPR-affiliated women, sought to correct a historic bias against putting women's stories, and their artistry, at the center of popular music history.

Nearly 4,500 voters participated in this poll, stumping for a total of nearly 8,000 different albums. The story of your voting patterns is one of passionate advocacy for artists whose music changed your lives. "Another album that undoubtedly saved the lives of LGBT people and allowed many families to postpone funerals," wrote one voter about Melissa Etheridge's 1993 album Yes I Am, released shortly after the rocker came out as a lesbian and ranked at 26 on this list. Commenters showed similar intensity about Kate Bush — one called 1985's Hounds of Love, which ranks at No. 4, "quintessential to being." For a fan who entered college the year Lauryn Hill released her masterwork (and your No. 3 pick) The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, the 1998 album was "both formative and transformative... like a diary I didn't quite know how to write myself yet." The overall message, throughout your comments (excerpted below), is that while music made by women is as innovative, virtuosic and historically relevant as any made by men, emotional resonance — the risk of the personal — is as crucial a criterion.

Before you look at the list, if you decide to, can you guess what the number one album is ?

:cool:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Great list, I've previously looked at other lists on that site, tis a good place.

And oddly enough yes, I did guess the Number one LP there.

What surprised me is how few of that list I own on vinyl, just thirteen out of 150, though the number I have on FLAC files is considerably greater. There's a few I really must check out as well.

I recently compiled my all time top ten LP's, might well start another thread for that one.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Great list, I've previously looked at other lists on that site, tis a good place.

And oddly enough yes, I did guess the Number one LP there.

What surprised me is how few of that list I own on vinyl, just thirteen out of 150, though the number I have on FLAC files is considerably greater. There's a few I really must check out as well.

I recently compiled my all time top ten LP's, might well start another thread for that one.

Figured you would probably guess the top choice. Only 13 out of 150 we will know what to get you for Christmas then :lol:

Reaction score
Incredible rundown, I've recently taken a gander at different records on that site, tis a decent spot.

Furthermore, strangely indeed, I guessed the Number one LP there.

What astounded me is what a small number of that rundown I possess on vinyl, only thirteen out of 150, however the number I have on FLAC records is extensively more noteworthy. There's a couple of I truly should look at also.

I as of late gathered my record-breaking top ten LP's, may well beginning another string for that one.

Ask a Question