Mobo problem or something else ???

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I built a pc back in the autumn of 2015, the full specs can be found here,

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/skylake-we-have-lift-off.4069430/

The psu is a Corsair AX 850 modular which is a couple of months older than the rest of the parts.

Since I built the pc it has been running 24/7 at about 50% cpu capacity with quite a lot of full on gaming sessions aswell.

The motherboard was a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7-EU which has as one of its features a on board power switch which lights up when there is power.

Lately I have installed a new nvme drive and still have it running from a add in card placed in a PCI-E slot. I have been installing a fresh Arch os aswell as trying out some other live distros etc. This has meant a lot of powering off and restarting the pc from scratch.

When I power off the pc the os shuts down as normal. The illuminated on board power switch takes a few seconds and then goes dark, everything seems normal.

However when I try to switch the power back on the illuminated on board power switch does not light up straight away and there is no response from the pc start button.
After a couple of minutes the illuminated on board power switch lights up and the pc start button works.
Sometimes though it takes more than 15 minutes for the illuminated on board power switch to light up and the pc start button to work.

I have tried different set of pc switches/led's, the fiddly little ones that plug into the mobo and they have made no difference. I once had a faulty set which caused random pc start up problems.

I have installed a new coms battery.

Does my problem sound like a motherboard problem ?? :confused:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I would also check out any BIOS updates too - looks like the latest was on 2‎018/03/09.

If you plug all add-in cards, HDDs, usb devices etc... - literally just mobo/CPU/ram/PSU/GPU, does it still to the same thing?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Thanks folks it looks like it was a dodgy power supply.

I thought I had dropped lucky as a initial search on the net told me that Corsair AX 850 psu's had a ten year warranty. Checked back through my paperwork and I bought the AX in July 2011. Saw loads of articles reviewing the AX, that is odd I thought why are folks writing reviews about a 2010 psu. Ha it seems Corsair brought out a AX Titanium last year which does have a ten year warranty. However mine is a AX Gold which only had a seven year warranty. So no replacement free for me then.

Luckily for me I still have my original 2007 self built super pc which has a Corsair HX 520 psu in it and is still running. So I swapped it with the dodgy 850 and lo an behold I have a properly working pc again.

Now I just have to work out which Corsair psu to buy to replace the 850. :rolleyes:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I always have a quick read at this site, and have done so ever since I started building my own pc's, when I need a new component. They give some pretty good advice that is not always geared to, most expensive is always the best.

https://silentpcreview.com/category/components/

Purpose​

We always bear the user purpose in mind, instead of just going for the flagship PSUs.

User purpose is crucial for PSU, as different activities will require different wattages.

For example, barely anyone needs above an 850W supply, so why spend the money?

Noise is a major issue for some, especially if you’re spending long hours editing video or want to stream without noise interference.

Value for money​

The price has to be reasonable and fit for purpose. And the most important question is, can you get more for your money elsewhere?

I looked at their recommendations and decided to stick with Corsair's as they have done me proud over the years.

In the end I went for a HX850 as it is a platinum grade which hopefully will last as long as or longer than the ten year warranty. I spent quite some time hunting down a HX850i which I thought was a more modern version with upgraded parts untill I realised that the " i " meant that the psu was the same as the HX850 but it had some fancy software that you could use with a Windows os so not much use to a penguin like me. I ordered it from Scan as they were the cheapest and they deliver to a local pickup point which is handy for me.

I did find a HX1000 for less money at Curry's so if you need a beefy psu it is a bargain,

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/compu...41a-a6a497a10e1d&istItemId=warmamlmq&istBid=t

I would have bought it but could not work out if it would use more electric than the 850. My electrical knowledge is almost non existent. Would it have used more electric on my rig than a lower wattage psu ?

:cool:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I would have bought it but could not work out if it would use more electric than the 850. My electrical knowledge is almost non existent. Would it have used more electric on my rig than a lower wattage psu ?
It'll only use what it needs - a higher wattage PSU is just able to provide more power when required. However... the Platinum (90%) / Gold (87%) / Silver (85%) / Bronze (82%) efficiency ratings (approx. values used) will have an effect despite the max wattage.

i.e. a Platinum 1000W PSU will likely consume less power than a Silver 850W PSU in the same system (assuming the load is fine for both).

Ask a Question