ABIT UL8 Mobo CMOS Problem

Reaction score
Just installed an ABIT UL8 Mobo with Casecom 500W PSU, AMD 64 3200 Slot 939 and 2 x Crucial 3200/400 512 Mb Dimms.

Whenever I remove power from the PC for any length of time (ie overnight) it won't boot fully.

HDD indicates running as does DVD Drive test and all fans spin but never strikes up GFX.

Initially, it won't shut down by holding in Power On button on front of PC and has to be shut down by switching off PSU at rocker switch at rear of PC.

When I reset CMOS and reboot, the computer still hangs as before with no GFX display, but I can now shut it down by holding in the Power On button on the front of the PC.

Now when I switch it back on it will boot fine.

This is consistent. It would appear that removing mains power from the PC causes the fault. I am inclined to think the CMOS batt may be a possible problem but it's a new board.

Next option is I will leave it turned on at the mains, power down via windows then switch off at the PSU rocker and see what it does after a few hours.

Any advice greatly appreciated as I have approached ABIT Tech Support and they think Mobo may be faulty but did not appear too confident.

Regards

Wessy Lad

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
If Abit think the MB may be faulty, and you are in guarantee, then get it replaced.

I do not think it is the Battery as you would be having other problems with time & date.

Possible that your PSU is to blame ... I'm sorry, but a £15 PSU sounds crap to me, 500watts or not (watts are not that criticle), you really need a decent PSU these days.

I strongly suggest a new "branded" PSU ;)

user.gif

Reaction score
Thanks Muckshifter - I tried just switching off the PSU with the rocker switch but got the same problem. This PSU has been working perfectly for several months with a MSI 848 Mobo before I upgraded, so I did not think it would be the problem.

Covenant

Proud Cruncher
Reaction score
It may be worth trying a bios upgrade. I've dealt with a couple of these boards and they both had bios related problems.

Covenant

Reaction score
ABIT UL8 Woes - Part Deux

Thanks Covenant

Tried it and nil fix but I was very impressed with the ABIT BIOS Flashing software which I downloaded to try.

However, the saga continues. I am returning the Mobo under warranty but met more problems. As you are aware, Motherboard was an ABIT UL8 and Processor Skt (AMD 64 3200+ Skt 939) is totally enclosed in a plastic frame so that you have to insert CPU first (as per), lock with lever, then Heatsink and Cooling Fan go on top of CPU and enter plastic frame, then clamped on - nothing new about this, you're right.

The Processer is a genyoowine AMD item in a box, with matching heatsink with pre-applied conductive material.

When I came to remove the CPU whilst stripping Mobo to return under warranty, could not lift heatsink from top of processor. No alternative but to heave harder (because of heatsink and CPU being in plastic sided enclosure so couldn't get in to prise gently) and Heatsink came away with Processor firmly attached (without my being able to release locking handle). Pins look okay but I am wondering the following.

Has any damage been done to the CPU ?.

How do I separate the CPU and heatsink, as assuming I get a direct replacement Mobo, I won't be able to fit the CPU with the heatsink attached as I won't be able to operate the locking lever ?.

The grey heatsink conductive material has melted around the edges of the CPU where it meets the Heatshrink - assuming I manage to separate CPU and heatsink, do I just use standard thermal paste ?.

Any advice appreciated from any members with advice or experience in this area.

Nothing is ever easy - to err is human - to really screw up takes a computer!

Wessy Lad

Ask a Question