Dead laptop

Reaction score
I recently upgraded my old laptop with Linux, was working fine for a week.

I turned it on and it shut down immediately. Now it won't turn on at all.

The light shows when the power cable is inserted, but the fan or harddrive doesn't fire up when i click on the power button.

Is it fixable?

Reaction score
Fixable? Dunno :(
Could be a multitude of issues.
Overheating maybe?
Memory module packed in?
Process of elimination I'm afraid

Just because power light on it does not mean PSU is fine.
However initial statement would suggest overheating at a guess

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, would it be worth my while taking it to a shop to get repaired. Is buying a new one a better option?

The laptop is 6 years old and there is nothing on it that is important.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
If it were mine I'd get a new one. Six years old and something has failed then there may well be something else just waiting to fail too. :nod:

Reaction score
I always try to repair first. Even if you don't want it and can afford to purchase a new one. After it being repaired it could always be passed down to someone else

Reaction score
Personally I’d buy a new one in this situation.

You could spend a fair chunk of money working out what’s wrong and then having to fix whatever it is, when you could put that money towards a new machine.

Reaction score
only if you can do it yourself. And it’s much harder in a laptop as you can’t swap our parts to narrow down the issue.

Usually heatsinks on laptops are easily accessible. New thermal paste is quite a simple job. Over heating is usually cause by dried paste or dislodged heatsink. Memory also can become dislodged. All very simple things to look into and save lots of money... :)

Reaction score
Ok, I get that. It’s just not nearly as easy as with a desktop and at 6 years old I’d be leaning towards going for a new one. :)

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I am not bad at desktops. Laptops are a different beast. Not sure where to start..

Ask a Question