Possible router problems

Reaction score
Since I upgraded from Win XP to Win 7, just about 18 months ago, ( I know.... but I don't like Win 8 or Win 10 - will be changing to Linux when Win 7 is not supported anymore) I've been having intermittant problems when on the internet. My ISP uses TalkTalk to access the net, and I was given a Technicolor TG 588v Mk2 router by my ISP. The problem is that more often than not when I'm on, say, Facebook, I'm unable to scroll down past more than 3 posts, and when I click on the notifications menu, it does not drop down, but I get a blue circle going round and round. I cannot access any groups and when I try to log out, the drop down menu does not drop down, just the blue circle going round and round.
Now, whenever this happens, I undertake a broadband speed test (using the Which? site) and the response time is around 1645ms, the download speed around 28Mb/s and the upload speed is zero. I then turn the router off for around a minute, and when switched back on I can access everything instantly on Facebook, and the speed test results are: response time around 68ms, download speed around 38Mb/s and upload speed between 8 and 12Mb/s. I was given an identical replacement router around 5 months ago, which seemed to work fine for about 3 weeks, but now it's back to the old problem. I also have trouble sending emails when the test result shows a zero upload speed, which I assume is to be expected.
I do not use WiFi, my PC and laptop are all hardwired into the router. My PC ethernet cable being just 3 meters in length.
Any advice on what I can do to overcome this? Thanks.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Mike,

That's a really unusual problem you've got there. Do all sites stop working when this happens, or do some still work? Does the problem happen on both your laptop and PC?

There are quite a lot of things that could cause this, but if you've had a new router that fixed this problem - then it does sound like it may be a hardware issue. This wouldn't have been my first guess, but if it's the only thing that has solved the problem briefly, then it may be worth contacting your ISP and let them know you are having connection issues. They can run some diagnostics on your line that may reveal something unusual.

Reaction score
Thanks for reply.
It happens on all sites, say I want to download a picture or reply to a forum, I just get the old spinning blue circle....until I re-boot the router. It happens on the laptop too, which is what my wife uses every morning to read the Mail On Line news. She cannot open stories or watch embedded videos when the problem occurs.
I have contacted my ISP and when they checked they found that my download speed has been zero on numerous occasions for many, many months. They said if it happens again, to contact them and they would send an engineer out to me.
In the meantime I have spoken to a telecomm engineer who was fiddling inside a telephone street cabinet near me and he said that he didn't have a clue. So I thought I'd ask on the forum first.
Maybe I should turn the router off at night, so when it re-boots the following day it might be ok.

Reaction score
This is weird. Just did a broadband speed test on my PC and got:
Ping - 186ms, download speed - 38.3Mb/s, and upload speed - zero.
Did the same test on a PC in my son's old room (hard-wired) and got:
ping - 141ms, download speed - 27.9Mb/s, upload speed - 4Mb/s.
So it seems that the router is providing an upload speed, so therefore could the problem lie within the cable from my PC to the router, or a motherboard issue?
I'll get a new cable and try that, and if still not working, I'll try an ethernet card. Does that sound logical?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think it would necessarily be the network cable or Ethernet adaptor - I'd probably look at software configuration first. Do you have any 3rd party AV or Firewall software installed?

Which browser are you using? Could you try another one and see how that works?

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
It sounds to me like you have interference issues. Did you recently place another electronic near your router? Anything can throw off you signal, including stereo speakers, gaming consoles, microwaves, etc. I suggest you move everything from around your router and see if that helps.

Reaction score
Hi again. I use Avast Home antivirus and have tried it with the AV disabled. I also use Windows Firewall with Windows Firewall Control 4, where I have allowed in-coming and out-going for My browsers...Firefox and Pale Moon. The router is located on a computer desk in my son's old bedroom alongside a PC and printer. These are normally turned off as I only use this PC for printing, which is about once every 2-3 months. There are no hifi's, speakers, gaming consoles, microwaves or any other electronic device in the room apart from PC and printer already mentioned and my son's old video and DVD player on the opposite side of the room and switched off. The zero upload speed happens on both browsers and whether AV or firewall is on or off.

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
I know you restart your router and it works for a little while, have you tried restoring your router to factory settings?

Reaction score
Yes I have. It apparently does the same as resarting the router.....it's fine for a day or two then upload speed down to zero again. Would anyone know if the download and upload signale go thru the same wire, if not I wonder if it could be tha cable.

Ask a Question