Zero Upload Speed

Reaction score
I have dual boot - Windows 7 and Linux Debian. As I am not a computer buff, this was installed by a good friend a couple of years ago, but he has since passed on so I can't ask him for advice. I have reasons for retaining Win 7. I use Linux to access the internet and my hard-wired router gives me 36Mbps download speed and 8Mbps upload speed every time. But on the odd occasions that I access the net with Win 7, I get 36Mbps download speed (good enough for my requirements) but zero upload speed, so nothing loads on the screen. The only way that I can overcome this is to un-plug and re-plug the ethernet cable at the router about 3 or 4 times in quick succession which creates a turning blue circle on the internet monitor icon - no internet connection. I then go to 'Troubleshoot' which eventually tells me "Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration - or - The default gateway is not available - or - The Local Area Network Adaptor has been re-set. I click 'done' and all is well. This only occurs with Windows never with Linux.
Is there a Windows repair for the zero upload speed, or does it mean a new install of Windows 7?
Thanks.

AMD Athlon II x4 645 Processor 3.10GHz
16 GB RAM

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Try, unplug the router, wait a few mins, replug.

Reaction score
I've tried that but has no effect. It can't be the router as it all works fine with Linux. I've tried un-installing the network adapter and re-installing but that has no effect neither. It can only be a Windows problem, surely?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I had a similar issue with a network adaptor on my old Intel motherboard, turned out to be a driver bug - in the end I just switched network adaptors and it resolved the issue. It often happened when I transferred large amounts of data (like copying a big file) across my network.

To troubleshoot it, you could let us know if any errors/warnings pop up in your event viewer logs at the time the problem happens. It may give us a clue.

Do you know what your network adaptor type is? Or is it integrated on to your motherboard? I wonder if downloading the OEM drivers direct from the manufacturers site would help, as they may be more recent than the Windows default ones.

Reaction score
I have dual boot - Windows 7 and Linux Debian. As I am not a computer buff, this was installed by a good friend a couple of years ago, but he has since passed on so I can't ask him for advice. I have reasons for retaining Win 7. I use Linux to access the internet and my hard-wired router gives me 36Mbps download speed and 8Mbps upload speed every time. But on the odd occasions that I access the net with Win 7, I get 36Mbps download speed (good enough for my requirements) but zero upload speed, so nothing loads on the screen. The only way that I can overcome this is to un-plug and re-plug the ethernet cable at the router about 3 or 4 times in quick succession which creates a turning blue circle on the internet monitor icon - no internet connection. I then go to 'Troubleshoot' which eventually tells me "Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration - or - The default gateway is not available - or - The Local Area Network Adaptor has been re-set. I click 'done' and all is well. This only occurs with Windows never with Linux.
Is there a Windows repair for the zero upload speed, or does it mean a new install of Windows 7?
Thanks.

AMD Athlon II x4 645 Processor 3.10GHz
16 GB RAM
Do a network reset. If that does not work, determine your router's settings such as default gateway address, sub net mask and manually assign an ip address in the same IP scheme, e.g. if gateway address is 192.168.0.1, your subnet mask is probably 255.255.255.0, if so, manually assign the address in TCPIP properties as say 192.168.0.5, put the right subnet mask, specify DNS as 8.8.8.8 and alt DNS as 1.1.1.1 and click OK. Restart your PC, it should connect to your router now. Then go to a browser and type speedtest.net in the addressbar, Click GO, it will calculate your download & upload speed. If this all works OK, you can switch back to using DHCP and autmatically obtain the IP address and restart your PC.

Reaction score
Note before starting: have a backup of your driver.
Open a Run window -> type compmgmt.msc and hit OK -> under Device Manager go to Network Adapters and find your adapter right-click on it and Uninstall and tick delete /remove driver. Then from the same Device Manager go to the menu Action - Scan for hardware changes and let it install the default driver and reboot. See if it works. Also here you can go to right-click -> options ->advance and search for Speed and Duplex and try different options (this can also mean you ethernet cable is not good)
If not, Driver Booster is a free software to update your driver, I think it also has a backup option too, going back to what I wrote at the start of the post.
Also, W7 is quite famous for not detecting the type of network properly which I cannot remember exactly how to fix, but you can find if this is the issue by going Control Panel, under Network and Internet, click View network status and tasks. Windows now opens the Network and Sharing Center. If you have an "unidentified network" that's your issue there and must be set to Home

Reaction score
Sorry for delay in reply.
Thanks for the advice, I have now fixed the problem. I downloaded the driver from the Realtek site, which was older than the Windows driver currently installed. I installed the older Realtek driver and everytime I boot my PC I do an internet speed test and upload speed is now always around 7.4Mbps, which I'm happy with. Takes a lot of learning, this computer/internet stuff, for a 73 year old. Thanks again.

Ask a Question